More government savings: bird scaring cars

Alanbellend

Here we seem to have another example of “cost savings” in these austere time when government apparently can’t afford anything

https://www.three.fm/news/isle-of-man-news/doi-wont-reveal-how-much-ronaldsways-bird-scaring-cars-cost/

Looking at the Volvo XC 40 Recharge the main “con” that appears on motoring sites is it’s actual COST.

https://www.motortrend.com/reviews/2024-volvo-xc40-recharge-single-motor-extended-range-ultimate-first-test-review/

https://www.carbuyer.co.uk/volvo/ex40

So we have bought two vastly expensive brand new EVs and now won’t say how much the taxpayer paid for them just to scare birds at Ronaldsway! Were these replacement cars or have we suddenly had to make up a bird scare problem to justify these completely unneeded purchases? 

Edited by Alanbellend
  • Like 1

In fairness, i get this. Volvo will be giving very good terms on these - possibly because they can't shift them. We were buying Range Rovers at ridiculously low prices back around 06-08. 

The sensitivity is on the side of the manufacturer rather than the DOI.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

44 minutes ago, Derek Flint said:

In fairness, i get this. Volvo will be giving very good terms on these - possibly because they can't shift them. We were buying Range Rovers at ridiculously low prices back around 06-08. 

But, if they want a 4x4, reliable, rugged, they could get a top of the range Dacia Duster for about £20,000 each after knocking off the VAT. They’d also do for most police work.

But, no, pay another £20k, each after discount, because it’s not our money and we’ve got to meet greenhouse gas reduction targets.

The truth is the vehicles won’t rack up enough miles for the fuel choice to make one jot of difference. It’s this sort of profligacy that cripples public service, this and the endless arse covering meetings and evidencing of decision making, that takes people away from actually delivering.

• Like 14
  • Thanks 4

1 hour ago, Derek Flint said:

How much bird scaring do we need to do to buy two new EVs with a list price touching £50K? Did we have bird scaring cars before? These are real premium rated SUVs. Surely a couple of Nissan Notes would be fine if they are even needed in the first place? It the airport going to close if we haven’t scared enough birds with £100K worth of new premium EVS?

• Like 3

It's cold down there in the mornings, heated seats will be essential 🤑

A couple of days ago, somebody posted here that the airport firemen have received an undisclosed pay settlement too. Perhaps largesse is alive and well at our struggling airport...

Edited by Non-Believer
Extra bit
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Alanbellend said:

How much bird scaring do we need to do to buy two new EVs with a list price touching £50K? Did we have bird scaring cars before? These are real premium rated SUVs. Surely a couple of Nissan Notes would be fine if they are even needed in the first place? It the airport going to close if we haven’t scared enough birds with £100K worth of new premium EVS?

I didn't think they still made Nissan Notes 

1 hour ago, Non-Believer said:

It's cold down there in the mornings, heated seats will be essential 🤑

A couple of days ago, somebody posted here that the airport firemen have received an undisclosed pay settlement too. Perhaps largesse is alive and well at our struggling airport...

The top spec duster has heated seats as standard 

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Happier diner said:

The top spec duster has heated seats as standard 

I bought one in 2014, still got it in Spain. Ex demo. Cost £14,000.  In terms of value for money it’s the best car I’ve ever had. Extremely reliable. Goes anywhere.

I had the windows tinted and the seats reupholstered in leather in 2020. Was in Bulgaria with it. Cost £2000. Probably more than car was worth. But it’s now very comfortable, rather than OK. Had a hand clutch fitted which works like a dream, and a tail gate hoist for my chair.

• Like 1

All they need is an old van there are thousands on the road with rusty wheels and dodgy exhausts it doesn’t have to be in good nick  it is private property and there is little traffic around only their own luggage loaders and petrol tanks.    This is blatant overspending if they had got a terrific deal they would not be shy about revealing the cost.   Police cars are a totally different cup of tea the mileage between the two cannot be compared.   Total disgrace.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

As pointed out in the Airport Topic, there will be many vehicles already owned by the DOI that could have been repurposed.

I accept that some off road capabilities may be required in case the vehicle needed to drive on the grass instead of the tarmac.  But I simply cannot understand why two brand new luxury SUVs were required for what is, generally speaking, the simple job of driving on the taxiways at the airport playing bird distress calls through a loud speaker. 

I assume the DOI were in some sort of, we have some extra budget for the Airport this quarter, we'd better spend it on something territory.  I would love to know the actual justification for such largesse.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, LooseChange said:

I accept that some off road capabilities may be required in case the vehicle needed to drive on the grass instead of the tarmac. 

A Volvo EV would be far from the top of the list when requiring any offroad capabilities!  Depending on which spec they chose, the base model (yes it's likely they went for the full luxury full power version) is only 2 wheel drive. 

• Thanks 1

Surely this capital expenditure would have been included in the departmental budget and a business case made?  

If so, were searching questions asked about the spec and necessity?  

I sometimes wonder if capital expenditure is treated differently from revenue account expenditure and whether anyone actually thinks about cash.  For capital expenditure there will be an asset, and in very naive accounting terms, there is no loss of assets, you are merely converting one asset into another.  However, the fact is that the asset will be depreciated and cash will have been lost. 

• Like 2

50 minutes ago, LooseChange said:

But I simply cannot understand why two brand new luxury SUVs were required for what is, generally speaking, the simple job of driving on the taxiways at the airport playing bird distress calls through a loud speaker. 

Short explanation. Egos, Govt sense of entitlement and utter disregard for the taxpayer.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1