More government savings: bird scaring cars

Alanbellend

11 minutes ago, Happier diner said:

Are you sure about that? That's not what the post says. It was a presumption.

Yes I’m literally sure about that. 3fm reported that

https://www.three.fm/news/isle-of-man-news/doi-wont-reveal-how-much-ronaldsways-bird-scaring-cars-cost/

“The Department of Infrastructure says it's bought two vehicles that can scare birds - but won't say for how much. 

In its response, the DOI says it bought two Volvo XC40 Recharges for the Airport Fire Service which will have bird-scaring capabilities.However, it said it the price of the vehicles and modifications was commercially sensitive and so it wouldn't reveal the figure”

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Max Power said:

I think you'd be surprised at the discounts available John, a couple of Dacias would be worth nothing when they try to get rid. The Volvo's will be more reliable, cost less to run etc. EVs are just not moving from dealers and manufacturers are in a panic to move them on. I think they are purchased under an MoD deal, which means massive discounts anyway? As Derek says, Volvo won't want to release details of deals as it will mess up their retail appeal.

Spot on. Dealers here can't move EVs. They just sit there taking up space. UK dealers aren't interested in taking them either. Manufacturers have been crippled by the cost of the changeover, and the market is uncertain with governments flip-flopping. Know several people who had one and said never again. 2030 ban just isn't happening.

On 9/12/2024 at 1:31 PM, cissolt said:

Between the useless £285,000 airport boat, £3 million on fire engines and a millions on a new garage.  How much money are DOI allowed to squander before someone steps in?

Just about as much as they like it would seem, weak or broken management allow this sort of purchase to go through without the proper scrutineering and common sense. The airport is clearly out of control and has been for many years and unfortunately Mr Crookall and his all his cohorts had neither the balls or intelligence to see they were being baffled with bullshit by AR and her pals and her legacy appears to still play a very large part of the current debacle. Can we expect changes anytime soon? not a chance! FFS Crookall can't even oversee a bus service nevermind an airport and the CM is busy down in London kissing some Labour backbenchers ass to try and get noticed. I truly believe my homeland is well and truly fucked unless someone/thing steps in and gets a grip before it is too late.Yes  I have bit the bullet jumped ship to an adjacent Island and only to enable my family to get the medical attention required as Nobles were unable to provide the care required. The NHS are currently doing a great job at present and we have no complaints contrary to what ?anker reports.

• Like 3

The bullshit of HR recruitment doesn't take into account the reality of where we are, just where we want to be !

The amount of ambtious dreamers we have appointed to the job is astounding, I mean as you know we should be at what 3 million passengers a year by now !

Mr Cobb never wanted to run a small regional airport he wanted to develop and spend ! Hence I don't blame him jumping ship.

We have a top corridor infested with people who know nothing about aviation, just how to box tick !

We have the head of ATC who cannot control civilian aircraft and hence is a large salary which is not available for someone who can.

For gods sake, the next appointee needs to be a proven manager who wants to manage a small regional aiport to make it customer focused and knows how to manage budgetary constraints but still make things work. I'm afraid that the job is a poisoned chalice and it will be difficult to get the calibre of candidate it needs !

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Kopek said:

I think we all know how 'commercial confidentially' is used to hide figurers and how this should not be the case where public money is involved ?

I cannot see any case for commercial confidentiality in this. As you say it's in the public interest. I know the DOI have been buying Volvo trucks for a while now. Maybe it was a good deal as a part of that. But why is it confidential?

I am surprised the information commissioner let them get away with that excuse. 

2 minutes ago, Happier diner said:

I cannot see any case for commercial confidentiality in this. As you say it's in the public interest. I know the DOI have been buying Volvo trucks for a while now. Maybe it was a good deal as a part of that. But why is it confidential?

I am surprised the information commissioner let them get away with that excuse. 

It might be the term of the contract - breach it and no more deals. 

8 hours ago, woolley said:

Spot on. Dealers here can't move EVs. They just sit there taking up space. UK dealers aren't interested in taking them either. Manufacturers have been crippled by the cost of the changeover, and the market is uncertain with governments flip-flopping. Know several people who had one and said never again. 2030 ban just isn't happening.

Loads of the big car firms are now rolling back their 'ambitious' EV plans. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Gladys said:

It might be the term of the contract - breach it and no more deals. 

It could be yes, but there are ways of getting around that without reverting to silence.

They could have said " the contract we have enables us to buy these cars below the normal market rate and thus giving the tax payer value"

If that's true if course. 🤔

17 minutes ago, Happier diner said:

It could be yes, but there are ways of getting around that without reverting to silence.

They could have said " the contract we have enables us to buy these cars below the normal market rate and thus giving the tax payer value"

If that's true if course. 🤔

Well, yes, if it is true. 

• Haha 1

There's the other side of this that is often missed. Many years ago, Lancashire Police were offered an incredible deal on Jaguar saloons, with something like a 100k mile drive train warranty. 

Th CC vetoed it on the basis that police officers shouldn't be seen driving around in executive limousines.

This is the crux of what we are talking here. 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Derek Flint said:

There's the other side of this that is often missed. Many years ago, Lancashire Police were offered an incredible deal on Jaguar saloons, with something like a 100k mile drive train warranty. 

Th CC vetoed it on the basis that police officers shouldn't be seen driving around in executive limousines.

Had the CC never seen Inspector Morse?

• Haha 1

Nonsense police driving around in Jags are one thing having two new cars that will not be used that often and only for short distances is a blatant misuse of public money and supreme arrogance in thinking the public are going to stand back and let this kind of stupidity for much longer.  The DOI seems totally out of control and needs splitting up and managed correctly.

• Like 1