More government savings: bird scaring cars

Alanbellend

I’m sorry but this whole thing is a load of utter bollocks. I remember as a kid a local farmer having a propane gas powered cannon that used to make an extremely loud bang to scare birds off his cereal crops. In today’s money they probably cost a couple of grand to buy and run. But oh no, we need £50k cars x 2…whoever signed this off needs to be made to justify their actions, in public. Then fired. 

No wonder the airport is a shit show with this absolute stupidity going on!

Edited by Manx Bean
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 2

They have spent quite a few quid supplying and fitting out a Toyota as a 4x4 Ambulance too.

Always seen it parked up at the Fire Station .. or next to a normal Ambulance on the side of the road.  Why send just one when you could send two?

34 minutes ago, x-in-man said:

They have spent quite a few quid supplying and fitting out a Toyota as a 4x4 Ambulance too.

Always seen it parked up at the Fire Station .. or next to a normal Ambulance on the side of the road.  Why send just one when you could send two?

Between the useless £285,000 airport boat, £3 million on fire engines and a millions on a new garage.  How much money are DOI allowed to squander before someone steps in?

2 hours ago, Fred the shred said:

All they need is an old van there are thousands on the road with rusty wheels and dodgy exhausts it doesn’t have to be in good nick  it is private property and there is little traffic around only their own luggage loaders and petrol tanks.    This is blatant overspending if they had got a terrific deal they would not be shy about revealing the cost.   Police cars are a totally different cup of tea the mileage between the two cannot be compared.   Total disgrace.

Imagine the uproar if it dropped its guts on the runway or apron and flights were halted due to oil.

Harley an option to run a clapped out old van round there is it?

I actually agree with Derek.  The running costs on these will be stupidly low and chances are that Volvo virtually gave them away hence they won’t want the cost made public.

• Haha 2

56 minutes ago, cissolt said:

Between the useless £285,000 airport boat, £3 million on fire engines and a millions on a new garage.  How much money are DOI allowed to squander before someone steps in?

nobody is going to step in.

7 hours ago, John Wright said:

But, if they want a 4x4, reliable, rugged, they could get a top of the range Dacia Duster for about £20,000 each after knocking off the VAT. They’d also do for most police work.

But, no, pay another £20k, each after discount, because it’s not our money and we’ve got to meet greenhouse gas reduction targets.

The truth is the vehicles won’t rack up enough miles for the fuel choice to make one jot of difference. It’s this sort of profligacy that cripples public service, this and the endless arse covering meetings and evidencing of decision making, that takes people away from actually delivering.

I have to say, that was my first thought. I built a 4x4 one on the Dacia configuration the other day. It came out at 26 grand, or £6700 down and £200 a month. Out of interest I did the same with a Defender. There was a marked difference! 

There's very little to beat the Duster in terms of sensible motoring. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, cissolt said:

To be fair it's a very nice boat and tractor and slipway.  It's just there is no one 'qualified' to drive it and I would imagine the only reason for that is that is they refuse to train anyone up for some (probably budget) reasons. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, The Phantom said:

To be fair it's a very nice boat and tractor and slipway.  It's just there is no one 'qualified' to drive it and I would imagine the only reason for that is that is they refuse to train anyone up for some (probably budget) reasons. 

Because training costs are a revenue item not capital.  I might be dead wrong, but capital expenditure is where the real discipline seems to be missing.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

50 minutes ago, Gladys said:

Because training costs are a revenue item not capital.  I might be dead wrong, but capital expenditure is where the real discipline seems to be missing.

The lack of discipline does not know the difference between revenue and capital. Same people, same lack of judgement. Only difference is the capital items stand out due to the inevitable greater costs. 

If they let me have a straight through exhaust, I'd be willing to drive up and down the runway. Stop watch in hand! 😁

Or they could just let the quayside kids  do the job? Keep them off the streets.

Edited by Kopek
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, Manx Bean said:

I’m sorry but this whole thing is a load of utter bollocks. I remember as a kid a local farmer having a propane gas powered cannon that used to make an extremely loud bang to scare birds off his cereal crops. In today’s money they probably cost a couple of grand to buy and run. But oh no, we need £50k cars x 2…whoever signed this off needs to be made to justify their actions, in public. Then fired. 

No wonder the airport is a shit show with this absolute stupidity going on!

This is exactly what they had at the airport. They fired something that sounded like a starting pistol but louder. Back in the 90s and 00s we had premises on Balthane and they used this method to scare the birds for all of that time. It certainly shifted the buggers too. Probably some management idiot decided it was better to chase them around the runway in a vehicle.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Derek Flint said:

The sensitivity is on the side of the manufacturer rather than the DOI.

It was the DOI that were asked, not the manufacturer.

I'm not disagreeing with you, I know exactly what you mean - just fail to see the justification for the DOI to plead commercial sensitivity. Volvo might not like it, but they can either lump it or sell them to someone else.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1