Joke shop to be demolished?

Moghrey Mie

6 hours ago, Shake me up Judy said:

The quay in Ramsey could be beautiful and should've been tastefully redeveloped using some of the old structures, a long time ago.

North eh. If it wasn't visied the previous year, you would be going to Silverdale. A magical wonderful place that could outstrip anything a Disney Park could ever offer today.

Edited by Barlow
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Passing Time said:

Should have, but everytime somebody wants to develop in Ramsey - out come the objectors...

Government and local vested interests have been the main opposition to urban development; to keep the value of greenfield land high for the farmers and landowners when they sell out to the developers. Meanwhile our towns and villages have gone to ruin.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Tinpot said:

Rumours all over the place about why it stopped.  Will be interesting to see what comes out and what happens to it.

It doesn't seem to be registered, but it is in a conservation area and you need permission to demolish anything in a conservation area.  They obviously didn't apply.

It's worth saying that we may be getting nostalgic about the wrong building.  According to this article from when the business closed in 2018as the shop moved premises to just a few doors along a few years ago.

There's a Manx Nostalgia Facebook Page, so fill yer boots.

1 hour ago, Roger Mexico said:

It doesn't seem to be registered, but it is in a conservation area and you need permission to demolish anything in a conservation area.  They obviously didn't apply.

It's worth saying that we may be getting nostalgic about the wrong building.  According to this article from when the business closed in 2018as the shop moved premises to just a few doors along a few years ago.

There's a Manx Nostalgia Facebook Page, so fill yer boots.

The business moved into the white premises on the right hand side for a couple of years until final closure, it's the dirty buff-coloured building that's the original premises which is being demolished. A couple of years back, RTC had to actually barrier the pavement off because of the risk of falling materials from the building, that was latterly made secure.

Interestingly, the initial demolition work to remove the upper storeys was taking place by hand until it stopped, rather than using machinery such as a 360. Whether this was to protect adjacent properties, I don't know.

Edited by Non-Believer
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Shake me up Judy said:

Does anyone remember the joke/novelty shop in Douglas ? On the corner of Duke Street opposite the old Peter Luis building.

I do. I bought two realistic ‘cigarettes’ from there as a teenager. When you lit them the ends exploded quite spectacularly. My dad didn’t appreciate the joke. 

• Haha 1

15 minutes ago, Shake me up Judy said:

Does anyone remember the joke/novelty shop in Douglas ? On the corner of Duke Street opposite the old Peter Luis building.

Frenchies. Run by Mr Parys, who was French ( well French speaking Swiss I think )

Didn't he wear a beret?

Shop on right. King Street

IMG_5508.jpeg

• Thanks 3

2 hours ago, Roger Mexico said:

Correct.

I wonder what happens now when someone has half demolished a building that they didn’t have permission to demolish?

3 minutes ago, Shake me up Judy said:

That's the one John. Great picture. He was a nice old guy too. Probably wasn't that old come to think of it. Must have closed in the early '70s I'd guess ?

Probably 10 years later. His son, Richard (?) was about 5 years older than me.

The chippy was Cooper’s, and Hudson's was leather and shoe repairs.

• Like 1