Joke shop to be demolished?

Moghrey Mie

The Sekiden gun with the silver clay pellets, wow! I I used to pretend i was James Bond,concealing my pistol in my Big X jeans  from Woolies.Itching powder could be gotten from the seeds inside rosehips," itchycoos" we called them,not sure if ths song " Itchycoo park" was related ? Placing them down the back of some unsuspecting siblings shirt,was fun, only beaten, by going around with a dog turd on a stick.The kids today with their X boxes,and I Phone 14s  dont know their living.

• Like 2

On 9/12/2024 at 4:21 PM, John Wright said:

Frenchies. Run by Mr Parys, who was French ( well French speaking Swiss I think )

Didn't he wear a beret?

Shop on right. King Street

IMG_5508.jpeg

He did. And, as soon as the penny for the guy cash started rolling in, he cheerfully sold fireworks to very small children, one banger at a time as I cheerfully recall. And the matches.

• Like 1

Used to scoop the gunpowder??? out of a banger, pack into a rolled up jamjar lid, with aball bearing and fire it at aa 'target'!!! Never made much of a dent but fun!!!

Also, put a banger in a little mud hut with a Dock leaf roof, set it off and watch the 'explosion'???

Acetone in an eye dropper into the embers of a fire, great, fire and dust!!!

Psychologists said I was safe and let me out?

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Kopek said:

Used to scoop the gunpowder??? out of a banger, pack into a rolled up jamjar lid, with aball bearing and fire it at aa 'target'!!! Never made much of a dent but fun!!!

Also, put a banger in a little mud hut with a Dock leaf roof, set it off and watch the 'explosion'???

Psychiatrist might disagree

Perhaps just drop it, you won't win. With your animosity to your previous employers and your neurosis over your dismissal  and how the beer has deteriorated since, maybe you could do with some psychologist help!!! 

Just trying to help? This session would have cost you some £ 80 and another 10 to go!!!

20 hours ago, Kopek said:

Anyone else have a " Mamod" steam engine and hold down the safety valve? When released, the thing jumped all over the room.

On 9/12/2024 at 7:25 PM, Gladys said:

The window round the corner on Duke Street had the full panoply of joke props on display.  I remember often looking down the pegboard which displayed them wondering which I could afford and which would not result in getting a 'scutching'.

A scutching! For a second my grandmother was standing in front of me wagging her finger. Before she commenced to scutch she always said 'mind you yourself'. As in 'mind you yourself and do yer manners boy'.

Now I think of it she had a whole bunch of sayings. 'She wore out more blankets than shoes'. 'It's no use going against the throw'. 'There's a slippery stone at a rich man's door'. 'He sees every penny as big as a cartwheel'. 'Moneys not found on the shore'. 'It's not every day we're killing a pig'. And the one she directed at me most often ' you could talk the hind leg off a pot'.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

16 minutes ago, Expat. said:

A scutching! For a second my grandmother was standing in front of me wagging her finger. Before she commenced to scutch she always said 'mind you yourself'. As in 'mind you yourself and do yer manners boy'.

Now I think of it she had a whole bunch of sayings. 'She wore out more blankets than shoes'. 'It's no use going against the throw'. 'There's a slippery stone at a rich man's door'. 'He sees every penny as big as a cartwheel'. 'Moneys not found on the shore'. 'It's not every day we're killing a pig'. And the one she directed at me most often ' you could talk the hind leg off a pot'.

The last one was the hind leg off a donkey in our family version. 

The other term was 'old fanackerpan' although can't be sure of the spelling!  Nor of the actual meaning, but I'm sure it  wasn't complimentary!

4 minutes ago, Shake me up Judy said:

A couple of old Manx expressions I remember are:

'As dry as a witches fuzzig' (To have a terrible thirst yessir)

'He's a bit of a spithig' (A pale and undernourished boy)

Spithag! Remember that, but I always thought it was spivig!

Edited by Gladys