Armed Police - Casually strolling

Maugholdmafia

• Maugholdmafia changed the title to Armed Police - Casually strolling

Plainly ridiculous. 

3 minutes ago, Shake me up Judy said:

Yeah, yeah, that's funny Derek but surely you get it. What's your serious response ? 

His response will be a dismissive 'you haven't read the big book of policing risk and cannot possibly understand because you are simply a normal person'

Edited by TheTeapot
  • Like 8
  • Thanks 1

The IoM is one of the countries where the police do not routinely carry guns, and do so only when the situation demands it.

In these days of drive-by shootings in England, that situation is becoming more frequent in that country.

But the Isle of Man?

It would seem that the Chief Constable, along with Derek Flint and others, are gun fantasists.

• Like 8
  • Sad 1

3 minutes ago, Shake me up Judy said:

Yeah, yeah, that's funny Derek but surely you get it. What's your serious response ? 

1 minute ago, TheTeapot said:

Plainly ridiculous. 

His response will be 'you haven't read the big book of policing risk and cannot possibly understand because you are simply a normal person'

As I've pointed out before,  Google APP armed policing and it's all there for everyone. The bit we don't get to see outside of the cops is the APSTRA (armed policing strategic threat and risk assessment)

• Haha 3
  • Sad 1

2 minutes ago, Two-lane said:

The IoM is one of the countries where the police do not routinely carry guns, and do so only when the situation demands it.

In these days of drive-by shootings in England, that situation is becoming more frequent in that country.

But the Isle of Man?

It would seem that the Chief Constable, along with Derek Flint and others, are gun fantasists.

Nope, 

Threat and risk practitioners with a big side helping of accountability. 

Let's just say - and I don't know for sure, that there is now a 24hr ARV operating with a standing authority to carry arms. That means they are all kitted up and ready to be deployed. Getting kitted up, guns loaded and all that takes good time. It takes even more time if you have to get people out of offices, down to the armoury, sign out their personal guns and all that. 

Around 2005 we were looking at the viability of having a full time ARV, because one thing that scared us all, was response times. I've commanded jobs where it took us an hour to deploy. That, to be blunt, was indefensible.

If there is a car on the road now,that time can be measured in minutes.

That is safer for the public, less stressful for officers and ultimately if the CC has to grip the rail at an inquest or inquiry, it is defensible. 

Do you want a police service which has to wing it on the day, or one that has a degree of preparedness? Unlike in the UK, there is nobody shooting up the M6 to lend a hand.

• Like 5

5 minutes ago, Shake me up Judy said:

C'mon man, I don't want to read some fucking police handbook. That was your job, not mine. I've got no problem with guns when it's operationally necessary but ordering coffees in Costa falls far short of that. 

Is Starbucks OK? 

What about popping in to Tescos for a meal deal?  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 2