Armed Police - Casually strolling

Maugholdmafia

Sorry Derek , you’ve let yourself down with your comments. I have the greatest respect for our  police but nothing can justify that situation  and your inane comments don’t help. If there was any threat needing them to carry guns into Costa surely they wouldn’t be ordering coffee. I presume they have secure storage in there transport. If so then they should have left the guns there . Or one stayed in the vehicle to stay with them. I can think of no justification of that situation despite your handbook and rules nonsense. Common sense needed it seems from our constabulary or at least from these officers. My guess is they had a bit of , look at us cool coppers with guns syndrome .  

Edited by Numbnuts
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

Im not saying armed police dont have the right to a coffee break, they are human afterall.

More so the issue lies with their deployment. There has obviously been a shift in police deployment policy here as over the last year they seem to always be on patrol with or without an incident to attend to. 

This appears to have taken place without the public being notified either by our Home Affairs Minister or Chief Constable. Therefore to many of us plebs it can be alarming to see armed police. 

This also raises the question of what do these police do when there is not an armed incident to attend to? I highly doubt they are being sent to noise complaints, ect.

A couple of weeks ago, I saw them walking down strand street with Assault rifles / carbines. Really? You never see PC Griffith or Paddy on foot patrol anymore. Replaced by big macho hardmen with egos requiring boosting by shoppers looking at them in their big body armour. I saw upset small children being cuddled by their mums at the site of them. Really was not appropriate for Douglas town centre.

So then either there are less police available to carry out neighbourhood policing duties or the Manx taxpayer is paying extra money to fund the constant deployment of an armed unit.

Therefore if this is the case that more tax payers money is being spent on funding a full time armed unit and I think this should be public knowledge either by press release or by FOI.

Many of us take great pride in having a safe island where the chances of having a terrorist or mental health emergency knife attack are seen as impossible, and we dont like the suggestion that it could happen and therefore requires a just in case police prescense. We dont want to be like the UK. Issues like this is what always made the Isle of Man a special place to live, and the idea of it feels under threat when you see armed police strolling about. 

Furthermore, I strongly believe the more armed police are called to respond to incidents, the higher the chance of a police shooting taking place. Statistically, this is a certainty. It may only be a 0.5% chance but it still increases the risk. 

Hope this acts as a message to the Police Officers and their supporters browsing this forum, to understand the point of view of those who are against the deployment of armed police constantly.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

14 minutes ago, TheTeapot said:

Only the police know how truly dangerous it is out there, you lot have no idea.

The only faint justification for this , and I’m still not convinced it’s needed , is if they were meeting a boat after a credible threat from someone on board . Even then I’m not sure that there was any necessity for all parties to go in armed. Sending out the wrong message . And as I said I have upmost respect for all our Police and what they have to deal with. 

Edited by Numbnuts
  • Like 2

34 minutes ago, thommo2010 said:

The same people moaning about this are the ones that would be complaining if the armed police took up to an hour to attend an incident. 

So are you saying we have constant armed police on our streets as that’s what you’re seemingly indicating. I don’t think that in any way justified .

Edited by Numbnuts
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, TheTeapot said:

Only the police know how truly dangerous it is out there, you lot have no idea.

Costa at 9am is one thing. Some drunk at Star Grill at 3am is going to regret getting pushy one day. (Remember that one justification of the recent Manchester Airport incident was a worry that an officer's gun might be taken.)

Edited by Sheldon

14 minutes ago, Numbnuts said:

So are you saying we have constant armed police on our streets as that’s what you’re seemingly indicating. I don’t think that in any way justified. And you’re a good copper and a nice guy but not getting your stance on this one. Yes defend your fellow officers but what I posted above I stand by. 

At no point have I ever said what my occupation is on this forum. 

23 minutes ago, thommo2010 said:

The same people moaning about this are the ones that would be complaining if the armed police took up to an hour to attend an incident. 

Well, if they are all in Costa and there is an incident in Jurby, the fact they kept their arms in safekeeping in the vehicle will not cause an undue delay. 

• Like 2