Armed Police - Casually strolling

Maugholdmafia

1 minute ago, Roger Mexico said:

Very possibly.  And what mental health crisis isn't improved by a lot of people turning up in balaclavas carrying guns?

Don't they have access to a mental health practioner for things like this?  Wonder if they were deployed as well?  Possibly wearing a brightly coloured balaclava with Mickey Mouse ears to lighten the situation. 

• Haha 4

3 minutes ago, Shake me up Judy said:

There are plenty of mental health issues on this Island. Let's just hope that all the officers with guns really understand that and have some cognisance of the Island's social problems. I can imagine where this might lead. 

Perhaps it's time for them to revisit their SOPs on dealing with mentally unwell people, it seems a recent change...

https://www.manxradio.com/news/isle-of-man-news/person-in-crisis-sparked-armed-police-response-in-douglas/

Nobody outside of the police or ex-police can think sending a bloody swat team to somebody in crisis is a good thing.

• Like 3

You have a small island with a small population and a historically small mostly petty crime rate, and then the police publicly arm themselves then it's only right to assume that somewhere there must be a heightened risk, an automatically alarming thing. Yet apparently there isn't and everything is fine and the police are just following their training.

It doesn't pass the sniff test.

Someone somewhere has got their calculations regarding risk wrong.

Edited by TheTeapot
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 3
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Shake me up Judy said:

There are plenty of mental health issues on this Island. Let's just hope that all the officers with guns really understand that and have some cognisance of the Island's social problems. I can imagine where this might lead. 

Quite. They'd be better off training officers in how to approach situations involving mental health or drink or substance abuse. None of these situations need guns.

Criminals on the island do not use guns for a very simple reason - because they don't need to. 

It would be a very good idea for us to try and keep it that way. I'm not sure reenacting the final scenes from the Blues Brothers every time someone kicks off is the best way to do that.

I'm bloody certain requiring us to get used to seeing coppers walking around with guns is definitely not.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

26 minutes ago, A fool and his money..... said:

Quite. They'd be better off training officers in how to approach situations involving mental health or drink or substance abuse. None of these situations need guns.

Criminals on the island do not use guns for a very simple reason - because they don't need to. 

It would be a very good idea for us to try and keep it that way. I'm not sure reenacting the final scenes from the Blues Brothers every time someone kicks off is the best way to do that.

I'm bloody certain requiring us to get used to seeing coppers walking around with guns is definitely not.

Well sign up and join and show them how it's done.

It's a matter of the law. The law is that police do not carry guns unless there is a specific requirement. So who changed the law?

There is an unfortunate array of tough-guy attitude being displayed here - from "I've been in countries where the police carry guns, so I'm not scared", to the ones who certainly do not know the colour of the boathouse in Hereford.

The point is that the law has been changed in an underhand way.

Although Derek Flint is no longer in the police force, his attitude is an insight into the mentality of current members.

My impression is that Flint fantasises about weapons. Although the majority here are clearly against the normal carrying of weapons, Flint takes every opportunity to discuss acronyms, weapon types, whether or not he has fired an M15 upside down - and more.

What would be the response if he tried that in the pub? Or if I started talking here about the difference between revs a and b of do/178.

Many people fantasise about guns. This is ChatGPT's view:

"Guns are often seen as symbols of power and control. People may fantasize about having a gun because it gives them a sense of personal strength or the ability to influence or control their environment. This can be especially appealing to individuals who feel powerless or out of control in their daily lives"

Everywhere you go, you will find people who think they are Dirty Harry and want to talk about their knowledge of guns. It is worrying to me that some police, current or not, have this psychological defect.

In this case it is clear to me that the Chief Constable is a gun fanatic. That's a problem.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1