Armed Police - Casually strolling

Maugholdmafia

1 minute ago, RecklessAbandon said:

If we had 10 police without guns and they cost £10 and then we had 10 police with guns and they cost £20, what is the difference in the cost of the police?

I really suggest you read the thread properly.

I haven’t got the patience to explain again what has already been explained several times.  Maybe someone else can be arsed but I can’t.

Just now, Tinpot said:

I really suggest you read the thread properly.

I haven’t got the patience to explain again what has already been explained several times.  Maybe someone else can be arsed but I can’t.

I've already dumbed the question down as far as I dare.  If you don't know the answer just say so and let someone who can answer the question do so.

• Confused 1

3 hours ago, Tinpot said:

No it’s not.

This was discussed in the pub on Monday night.  Nobody there gave a toss, most of us (me included) thought it had been the case that there were a small number of armed officers always on duty for years anyway.

The drama on here was a source of amusement for the gathered company.

I'll take "things that didn't happen" for $200 Bob

Just now, RecklessAbandon said:

I've already dumbed the question down as far as I dare.  If you don't know the answer just say so and let someone who can answer the question do so.

16 minutes ago, RecklessAbandon said:

So all the additional guns, armour, ammo, training, storage, vehicle conversions, etc all magically appeared for free and costs exactly the same for the exact same number of personnel but without firearms?

Wow, the IOM should be selling this free armed police service to other places, its a miracle.

There are no additional guns, armour, training, storage or vehicles.

I can’t really dumb the answer down any more.

What do you think is an extra cost over what we had before?

19 minutes ago, RecklessAbandon said:

So all the additional guns, armour, ammo, training, storage, vehicle conversions, etc all magically appeared for free and costs exactly the same for the exact same number of personnel but without firearms?

Wow, the IOM should be selling this free armed police service to other places, its a miracle.

8 minutes ago, RecklessAbandon said:

If we had 10 police without guns and they cost £10 and then we had 10 police with guns and they cost £20, what is the difference in the cost of the police?

All the stuff was there before. Nothing has changed other than mode of carriage. Hard to reconcile we are on page 31 and some folk still haven't computed that 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Derek Flint said:

All the stuff was there before. Nothing has changed other than mode of carriage. Hard to reconcile we are on page 31 and some folk still haven't computed that 

So IOM has had access to carbine carrying officers which are routinely seen in Starbucks or wherever since day 1 or is this a "new" thing?

The police vehicles came ready configured to be ARVs and the officers came ready trained, etc.

Edited by RecklessAbandon
  • Sad 1

20 hours ago, Tinpot said:

I don’t have a desire for the police to have guns.  I doubt anyone does.  Where did you get that from?

However I don’t see what the issue is with some of them having them.  It’s been explained what the advantages are in terms of response time IF an armed response was needed.

As I understand it we aren’t talking about more than a handful of police on any given day who have a weapon and so if needed can respond quickly.  So what’s the issue?  Most of them still are just wandering about like they always have.

Jeez, talk about contradicting yourself..

• Like 1

Just now, RecklessAbandon said:

Of course there is.  They didn't magically materialise out of thin air.

What are you on about?

A very small number of what has previously been locked away in storage is now out on a daily basis rather than being locked away. 

There is no new equipment to allow this to happen, no additional testing, no additional storage, no new vehicles 

• Like 1

Presumably there are ongoing costs - maintenance, ammunition (does ammo go out of date?), initial training and update training, exercises, replacement equipment and the added bureaucracy of keeping a track of it all.  I also guess there will be a responsibility allowance for the armed police.  I certainly wouldn't handle a lethal machine without an uplift in my salary. 

• Confused 1

1 minute ago, Gladys said:

Presumably there are ongoing costs - maintenance, ammunition (does ammo go out of date?), initial training and update training, exercises, replacement equipment and the added bureaucracy of keeping a track of it all.  I also guess there will be a responsibility allowance for the armed police.  I certainly wouldn't handle a lethal machine without an uplift in my salary. 

There is nothing new in relation to any of those things.

All those costs have existed for years.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Gladys said:

If stored correctly Gladys, ammo has an unlimited life span 

4 minutes ago, Gladys said:

Let's just hope they don't take the "Use by date" literally then.

• Haha 2