Armed Police - Casually strolling

Maugholdmafia

2 hours ago, Andy Onchan said:

Something has happened in the very recent past for the sudden need for weapons to be carried by our police.

The current threat level for UK & NI according to MI5 is "Substantial".  https://www.mi5.gov.uk/threats-and-advice/terrorism-threat-levels

I can only assume that we have either been brought into the UK fold or that there is a specific threat to IOM.

And does the definition of "policing by consent" mean anything these days?: 
https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/policing-by-consent/definition-of-policing-by-consent

That's for terrorism. It covers the IOM too. Armed policing covers a much wider remit. And no, nothing has changed other than more sophisticated understanding of risk and threat. We were talking about the response times issue back in 2005.

48 minutes ago, RecklessAbandon said:

@Derek Flint Off the top of your head, how many incidents per year do armed officers attend, and what percentage of those incidents turn out to actually require a firearm to be present in a meaningful way?

Was usually about 12 -14 deployments a year. Suspect the tempo may be much higher these days.

2 minutes ago, Shake me up Judy said:

If there was, do you think the public would be told ? 

If there's been a change in policy, ie. officers now wearing firearms then wouldn't you think that a statement from the CC or Home Affairs Minister would be a good idea, instead of allowing people second guessing? Reassurance wouldn't go amiss.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Derek Flint said:

That's for terrorism. It covers the IOM too. Armed policing covers a much wider remit. And no, nothing has changed other than more sophisticated understanding of risk and threat. We were talking about the response times issue back in 2005.

Was usually about 12 -14 deployments a year. Suspect the tempo may be much higher these days.

OK, so I'm going to say it....... are we expecting trouble from the Triad?

1 minute ago, Andy Onchan said:

If there's been a change in policy, ie. officers now wearing firearms then wouldn't you think that a statement from the CC or Home Affairs Minister would be a good idea, instead of allowing people second guessing? Reassurance wouldn't go amiss.

I do agree. It looks like the CC has issued a standing authority which has a car on the road which reduces response times and reduces risk.

Without that understanding the public think something is going down, which it isn't.

14 minutes ago, Derek Flint said:

I do agree. It looks like the CC has issued a standing authority which has a car on the road which reduces response times and reduces risk.

Without that understanding the public think something is going down, which it isn't.

Would a statement really do much good? 

We have seen it in this thread that despite your many years of operational policing, people with 0 experience seem to think they know better. If a statement was to be put out I would imagine it would go exactly the same way  

• Like 1
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 1

If the CC (or other senior officer with authority) has made an operational/policy decision to routinely deploy an ARV, that represents a major change to the Island’s policing. As such, it’s entirely reasonable to expect a public statement explaining why such decision was made.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, thommo2010 said:

We have seen it in this thread that despite your many years of operational policing, people with 0 experience seem to think they know better. If a statement was to be put out I would imagine it would go exactly the same way  

They would do what they do with everything, say it's nonsense or a cover up and still believe what they always have. You only have to look on here for those type of folk, who will do that despite knowing nothing to the contrary!

This forum has certain folk who actively go around looking for comments from posters they don't like so they can jump into an argument or troll them passive agressively with the emojis button. 

Edited by jackwhite
  • Like 2

13 minutes ago, thommo2010 said:

What way is that then?

12 hours ago, Derek Flint said:

College of Policing

.....probably the greatest contributor to the decline and increasingly widespread lack of respect of the police to have been 'invented' in the past 15 years.  A commercial organisation should have no role in dictating policy to government nor act as a retirement 'jolly' for ex-Police top-brass.  It was this shower that advised police forces to record all 'non-crime hate incidents' and the decline has continued from there.

29 minutes ago, thommo2010 said:

people with 0 experience seem to think they know better. I

But there are people here who have extensive experience of the society we live in. From that experience most people are probably smart enough to have a reasonable opinion of whether or not it is necessary for the police to wander down Strand Street carrying assault rifles.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Andy Onchan said:

Something has happened in the very recent past for the sudden need for weapons to be carried by our police.

The current threat level for UK & NI according to MI5 is "Substantial".  https://www.mi5.gov.uk/threats-and-advice/terrorism-threat-levels

I can only assume that we have either been brought into the UK fold or that there is a specific threat to IOM.

And does the definition of "policing by consent" mean anything these days?: 
https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/policing-by-consent/definition-of-policing-by-consent

The UK becoming an increasing safe haven and international hub for organised crime, people ideologically opposed to the 'western way of life' and an importation of the third world and it's associated morals and values, or lack of, might have something to do with it.  

I hardly recognise the UK when I travel over there now and it is only a matter of time we start to more closely resemble it here. Whether that justifies the routine arming of our police when they order their morning espresso is open for discussion however if we have a new CC from across it isn't unreasonable to assume he might want to re-evaluate our existing manuals and procedures and bring them up to speed with what he is familiar with across, noting the trajectory we are on.

41 minutes ago, Vaaish said:

If the CC (or other senior officer with authority) has made an operational/policy decision to routinely deploy an ARV, that represents a major change to the Island’s policing. As such, it’s entirely reasonable to expect a public statement explaining why such decision was made.

Its a minor operational change all told. 

21 minutes ago, Utah 01 said:

.....probably the greatest contributor to the decline and increasingly widespread lack of respect of the police to have been 'invented' in the past 15 years.  A commercial organisation should have no role in dictating policy to government nor act as a retirement 'jolly' for ex-Police top-brass.  It was this shower that advised police forces to record all 'non-crime hate incidents' and the decline has continued from there.

They've been commercial for a.long time. Centrex and NPIA were the same

Bring back NPT!