Armed Police - Casually strolling

Maugholdmafia

3 minutes ago, kevster said:

The officers are being paid anyway - so nothing on salary

Might be a couple of quid extra on fuel judging by the ARV I saw at the sea terminal, but as part of the overall budget - fuck all extra cost

Where do they leave their guns?  If they have to have them with them when they get a brew presume that means they cant leave them at the station in case something big kicks off whilst theyre out? And presume they cant leave them in their car whilst getting their coffee as it would be security risk? Hmmm... 

8 minutes ago, kevster said:

The officers are being paid anyway - so nothing on salary

Might be a couple of quid extra on fuel judging by the ARV I saw at the sea terminal, but as part of the overall budget - fuck all extra cost

Nice attempt but you failed to understand the question.

How much more does the armed response vehicle cost compared to a standard "panda car"?  How much extra does all the extra equipment cost (weapon, body armour, ammo, etc)?  How much does the additional liability insurance cost?  How much extra does the additional training cost?

In other words, why send a £4000 (number pulled out of thin air for analogy purposes) patrol rather than a £1000 unit for an issue that doesn't require an armed response?

2 minutes ago, RecklessAbandon said:

How much more does the armed response vehicle cost compared to a standard "panda car"?  How much extra does all the extra equipment cost (weapon, body armour, ammo, etc)?  How much does the additional liability insurance cost?  How much extra does the additional training cost?

An ARV and officers can also do normal police work alongside armed duty.

Why do we pay for fire engines and associated costs, when they sit around doing fuck all most of the time?

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

11 minutes ago, kevster said:

Fully armed? They had hosltered sidearms. I've been to places where people - not always police - walked around with assualt rifles.

This is more of the tough-guy "I've seen things you people wouldn't believe" attitude - irrespective of this being a back-water.

So how about a competition - the best "I've seen...."

I've heard there are places in Eastern Europe where the bouncers carry shotguns. Can anyone better that?

[I suppose the military should be excluded. A little while ago YouTube sent me a video of US forces on an off day, somewhere in Afghanistan maybe, going fishing with RPGs. You can't compete with that kind of style]

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, RecklessAbandon said:

Nice attempt but you failed to understand the question.

In other words, why send a £4000 (number pulled out of thin air for analogy purposes) patrol rather than a £1000 unit for an issue that doesn't require an armed response?

Eh?

Why would it cost any more than all that stuff just sitting at the station?

• Like 1

4 hours ago, thommo2010 said:

Then crack on and put in your FOI. What do you think is costing 250k a year? some officers carrying firearms?

Answering bullshit FOI requests - here's the DOI figures on their own. Multiply this across departments and statutory boards.

image.png.34a016e84427148b13faedd450ecf830.png

13 minutes ago, Two-lane said:

This is more of the tough-guy "I've seen things you people wouldn't believe" attitude - irrespective of this being a back-water.

My entry...

21 hours ago, Jarndyce said:

I saw a big lad down at the Terrace chip shop carrying what appeared to be a tactical thermonuclear device…

24 minutes ago, Two-lane said:

I've heard there are places in Eastern Europe where the bouncers carry shotguns. Can anyone better that?

[I suppose the military should be excluded. A little while ago YouTube sent me a video of US forces on an off day, somewhere in Afghanistan maybe, going fishing with RPGs. You can't compete with that kind of style]

I went on a Stag night to Turkey in the 90s  and the Hookers in the bars we ended up with had shotguns........

• Like 1