Armed Police - Casually strolling

Maugholdmafia

11 minutes ago, Dirty Buggane said:

Seeing as the island is no longer your residence and just a location to bring rich boys and their toys for a play, why are you on here defending some police chief's belief we are some how a down town corner of the Gaza strip. Or are you looking to milk the cash cow of ex police members being taken on as advisors and spin doctors. ?

I'm still heavily invested in the  island, but thanks for the concern.

I'm not defending anyone. I'm trying to explain the context.

Here's another.

I'm currently in Japan. It has an unbelievably low crime rate, massive public conformity to rules and exceptional personal and public safety. It has also some of the strictest, if not the strictest, gun control in the world. 

It's police service is armed. 

Just now, Casta said:

You're not wrong there, the world is going to hell in a hand cart but it's a bit of a stretch comparing Isle of Man to Japan. But an interesting point.

Nothing happens, safe as houses, everyone friendly. But the cops have guns.

I'm going into the next Koban I see and demand to see the Supernintendo. God knows what they are thinking.

At breakfast this morning in a well-known fast food restaurant the chap next to us disappeared to the loo for a good five minutes, leaving his bag, laptop and papers on the table.

I don't think you'd attempt that even in Douglas.

51 minutes ago, Derek Flint said:

I'm still heavily invested in the  island, but thanks for the concern.

I'm not defending anyone. I'm trying to explain the context.

Here's another.

I'm currently in Japan. It has an unbelievably low crime rate, massive public conformity to rules and exceptional personal and public safety. It has also some of the strictest, if not the strictest, gun control in the world. 

It's police service is armed. 

Conformity has been the culture since well before the days of the shogun. It's what makes Japan, Japan.

1 minute ago, Andy Onchan said:

Conformity has been the culture since well before the days of the shogun. It's what makes Japan, Japan.

It really is terrific. Spotlessly clean, polite people, helpful beyond the normal. 

Typing this at 180mph en route to Hiroshima on the Shinkansen.

It is also increasingly easy for English speakers to navigate. It is becoming taught more widely. And at 200 yen to the pound its very affordable. 

Lot to learn from. Bloody hot though. It wasn't the day to do Himeji Castle!

So my question is - and I want honest answers… if your son or daughter was a copper. There was credible intelligence of a threat, and they were fully fire-arms trained. Would you send them out unarmed because it may look a bit much - or would you want them to be prepared with the tools to deal with any threat (which as a side-note may also act as a deterrent against aggression) ? 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Steve_Christian said:

So my question is - and I want honest answers… if your son or daughter was a copper. There was credible intelligence of a threat, and they were fully fire-arms trained. Would you send them out unarmed because it may look a bit much - or would you want them to be prepared with the tools to deal with any threat (which as a side-note may also act as a deterrent against aggression) ? 

That's not the case though is it? Tazers and other non-lethal weapons should be deployed before we have armed officers wandering around. 

Nobody is disputing the need to have some armed officers 'just in case'

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Steve_Christian said:

There was credible intelligence of a threat,

Perhaps you could give an honest answer:

Which of the following are credible intelligence of a threat?

1. An email  to the Manchester Evening News from someone using the name of a Transylvanian Olympic swimmer saying there is bomb planted at Peel Cstle

2. The Pulrose drunk, waving an empty Vodka bottle

3. People sitting in a coffee franchise drinking cafe latte mocha

• Like 2