Armed Police - Casually strolling

Maugholdmafia

8 minutes ago, thommo2010 said:

I genuinely believe some people on this thread should go on a few shifts with the police to see what they deal with. The notion that there's no violent crime on this Island is laughable

99% of the very difficult stuff here can be dealt with by a taser.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, thommo2010 said:

I genuinely believe some people on this thread should go on a few shifts with the police to see what they deal with. The notion that there's no violent crime on this Island is laughable

I will tell you what is laughable, that the police thought it necessary to have armed police patrolling the comis for todays event. 

Presumably in case of a chance of an attack happening. Absolutely mad

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Maugholdmafia said:

I will tell you what is laughable, that the police thought it necessary to have armed police patrolling the comis for todays event. 

And if Howard from the manninline had rocked up and started throwing scones at Howard, and they hadn’t been there????

What then?

16 minutes ago, thommo2010 said:

I don't think anyone on here is saying that violent crime doesn't exist on the Island, of course it does. It's reported in the media for all to read/hear. Is the violence any worse than it was say 40 years ago? Probably not. Thankfully.

Or are you suggesting that the Island is now not safe to the extent that firearms need to be carried? If that's the case then something has gone horribly, horribly wrong.

• Thanks 2

6 minutes ago, Andy Onchan said:

I don't think anyone on here is saying that violent crime doesn't exist on the Island, of course it does. It's reported in the media for all to read/hear. Is the violence any worse than it was say 40 years ago? Probably not. Thankfully.

Or are you suggesting that the Island is now not safe to the extent that firearms need to be carried? If that's the case then something has gone horribly, horribly wrong.

Crimes involving offensive weapons saw a 14% decrease in 2022-2023. Similarly, there was a 2% reduction in domestic-related incidents.

These figures makes it even more incredulous that we have armed officers wandering around.

What would the justification be to be present, and armed, at a government conference? Protection from the justice for the jabbed leaflets? Is this 'credible threat' or 'response time' justification?

Madness.

49 minutes ago, thommo2010 said:

Of course there's violent crime here. Nobody has suggested there isn't and it's not a new thing either. Drunken scraps and domestic violence have been around here for as long as I can remember - i've even cited examples on this thread 

None of it requires the police to shoot anyone though, we don't have gun crime*

And here's the thing. There's absolutely no point in carrying a gun, unless you're going to shoot it. No point at all. 

* I seem to remember the proprietor of an Indian restaurant in the Viking Hotel in Ramsey getting shot in the ass probably around the late 80's if I recall correctly. As far as I know the culprit was arrested without being shot.

20 minutes ago, cissolt said:

Crimes involving offensive weapons saw a 14% decrease in 2022-2023. Similarly, there was a 2% reduction in domestic-related incidents.

These figures makes it even more incredulous that we have armed officers wandering around.

What would the justification be to be present, and armed, at a government conference? Protection from the justice for the jabbed leaflets? Is this 'credible threat' or 'response time' justification?

Madness.

Making sure none of the government employees who were made to go escaped?

1 hour ago, Maugholdmafia said:

Leaving Costa in the Sea terminal without any armed police presence whatsoever! I'd love to see the risk assessment that let that happen - we were lucky to get away with it IMHO.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, thommo2010 said:

Correct Thommo https://www.iomtoday.co.im/news/courts/isle-of-man-police-officer-accused-of-domestic-abuse-appears-in-court-722531

• Haha 3