Armed Police - Casually strolling

Maugholdmafia

37 minutes ago, cissolt said:

Crimes involving offensive weapons saw a 14% decrease in 2022-2023. Similarly, there was a 2% reduction in domestic-related incidents.

These figures makes it even more incredulous that we have armed officers wandering around.

What would the justification be to be present, and armed, at a government conference? Protection from the justice for the jabbed leaflets? Is this 'credible threat' or 'response time' justification?

Madness.

What’s the reason not to?

1 minute ago, cissolt said:

There is zero threat to anyone attending, not even the chance of rotten veg being thrown.

Which is a much higher percentage than the chance of anything going wrong because four cops are out with guns.

So what’s the issue?  I am sick of asking.

• Like 1
  • Confused 2

1 hour ago, Maugholdmafia said:

I will tell you what is laughable, that the police thought it necessary to have armed police patrolling the comis for today’s event.    Presumably in case of a chance of an attack happening. Absolutely mad

Maybe it wasn’t the polis: maybe it was Alf who demanded protection.

Perhaps Trump’s recent issues with snipers have made him more paranoid than he already was!

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

15 minutes ago, A fool and his money..... said:

Four humans. Humans make mistakes. There's zero threat, why increase the risk by introducing guns into the mix - especially when there's no need.

It’s less likely for a copper in strand street to accidentally pull a gun on someone than it is for one on a car to have a crash.

Shall we make them all walk?

• Confused 1

39 minutes ago, Tinpot said:

It’s less likely for a copper in strand street to accidentally pull a gun on someone than it is for one on a car to have a crash.

Shall we make them all walk?

It would reduce the risk to everyone if we banned vehicles altogether and made everyone walk.

You're far more likely to be injured by a vehicle than a violent criminal who could be stopped by armed police, and yet most of us use the roads every day and accept the risk 

We could likewise accept the infinitesimal risk of needing the protection of an armed copper on the IOM.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Tinpot said:

So what’s the issue?  I am sick of asking.

Several things.

Cost - the headline speech at the same event mentioned £10million in government savings, kind of ironic really.

Quality of life - I like living in a place where crime is virtually non existent. Armed coppers everywhere will alter the vibe, completely unnecessarily.

Safety. I know a few coppers and ex coppers. Few of them are particularly level headed, some of them go out of their way to wind people up. All of them are human and therefore prone to making mistakes, as we all are. I'm not sure arming them is a good idea, unless absolutely necessary. It isn't.

Detrimental to tourism. We want to grow our tourist industry. The IOM is a nice place to visit. Visitors often remark on the friendliness of the locals and the welcome they receive. Having armed police walking around is not friendly, nor welcoming, and it gives a totally false impression of the crime situation on the island.

Above all it's completely unnecessary. It would be difficult to dream up a precaution that was less necessary. It's totally disproportionate to the risk and is nothing more than an ego trip for all involved.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, A fool and his money..... said:

Several things.

Cost - the headline speech at the same event mentioned £10million in government savings, kind of ironic really.

Quality of life - I like living in a place where crime is virtually non existent. Armed coppers everywhere will alter the vibe, completely unnecessarily.

Safety. I know a few coppers and ex coppers. Few of them are particularly level headed, some of them go out of their way to wind people up. All of them are human and therefore prone to making mistakes, as we all are. I'm not sure arming them is a good idea, unless absolutely necessary. It isn't.

Detrimental to tourism. We want to grow our tourist industry. The IOM is a nice place to visit. Visitors often remark on the friendliness of the locals and the welcome they receive. Having armed police walking around is not friendly, nor welcoming, and it gives a totally false impression of the crime situation on the island.

Above all it's completely unnecessary. It would be difficult to dream up a precaution that was less necessary. It's totally disproportionate to the risk and is nothing more than an ego trip for all involved.

There will likely be two of them on duty routinely.

Out of 236.

• Thanks 1