Armed Police - Casually strolling

Maugholdmafia

5 minutes ago, P.K. said:

It's clear from the furore on here that far from being reassuring having overtly armed officers mingling with the Manx public is a PR disaster.

Someone needs to put the guns away and then put their testicles on a trowel...

No it’s not.

This was discussed in the pub on Monday night.  Nobody there gave a toss, most of us (me included) thought it had been the case that there were a small number of armed officers always on duty for years anyway.

The drama on here was a source of amusement for the gathered company.

Edited by Tinpot
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Tinpot said:

No it’s not.

This was discussed in the pub on Monday night.  No post there gave a toss, most of us (me included) thought it had been the case that there were a small number of armed officers always on duty for years anyway.

You post in the pub? 

2 minutes ago, Tinpot said:

No it’s not.

This was discussed in the pub on Monday night.  No post there gave a toss, most of us (me included) thought it had been the case that there were a small number of armed officers always on duty for years anyway.

For me there seems to be a distinct lack of any kind of justification. Simply put some people absolutely abhor firearms and the sight of them makes them feel very vulnerable and uneasy.

@Tinpot

If you and the rest of the pub disagree I'm fine with it...

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, P.K. said:

It's clear from the furore on here that far from being reassuring having overtly armed officers mingling with the Manx public is a PR disaster.

Someone needs to put the guns away and then put their testicles on a trowel...

Headline reads: ‘Furore’ on Manx forums has absolutely no impact on public policing policy as Chief Cop shamelessly ignores keyboard warriors who have no idea what they’re talking about… 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

13 minutes ago, Steve_Christian said:

Headline reads: ‘Furore’ on Manx forums has absolutely no impact on public policing policy as Chief Cop shamelessly ignores keyboard warriors who have no idea what they’re talking about… 

But we're assured that nothing's changed. But we still need to arm our police. Why?

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Tinpot said:

No it’s not.

This was discussed in the pub on Monday night.  Nobody there gave a toss, most of us (me included) thought it had been the case that there were a small number of armed officers always on duty for years anyway.

Haha, you do realise the sort of people who gather in pubs these days. I'll take a guess at your mates: grumpy, lonely, opinionated, middle-aged alcoholics.

Although it can be argued Manx Forums may well have a section with a similar demographic, I think you'd be better using it for your litmus. 

• Confused 1

2 hours ago, Shake me up Judy said:

Didn't one of our past chief constables put in a request for a chopper, just in case one was needed ?

There was certainly a Chief Constable who was renowned for use of his chopper around the Island. And there was no need for police PR as he had erm, direct access to one of the top reporters too.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Derek Flint said:

We have had an armed capability since the dawn of time. 

This is nothing new. Show me one country on earth without an armed capability with its police

I, and probably many others on here, know that IOMP have the capability when required. Capability doesn't necessarily equal justification of use 24/7/365.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Tinpot said:

Have you even read the thread?

There is no additional cost.

So all the additional guns, armour, ammo, training, storage, vehicle conversions, etc all magically appeared for free and costs exactly the same for the exact same number of personnel but without firearms?

Wow, the IOM should be selling this free armed police service to other places, its a miracle.

• Confused 1

6 minutes ago, RecklessAbandon said:

So all the additional guns, armour, ammo, training, storage, vehicle conversions, etc all magically appeared for free and costs exactly the same for the exact same number of personnel but without firearms?

Wow, the IOM should be selling this free armed police service to other places, it’s a miracle.

Again.  Have you read the thread?

There are no additional of any of those things. What are you on about?