Armed Police - Casually strolling

Maugholdmafia

42 minutes ago, Passing Time said:

Air Force, so not a proper soldier then 😉😂😂

Never said I was. But…Served with the Army in 2001 after 9/11, on exchange with the US Marines in Afghan in 2004 and Royal in 2006, Herrick 5 (second battalion to go into Helmand) so did a little bit of soldiering… drove warships with the Navy for a couple of years too. 

Edited by Steve_Christian

13 hours ago, Steve_Christian said:

Never said I was. But…Served with the Army in 2001 after 9/11, on exchange with the US Marines in Afghan in 2004 and Royal in 2006, Herrick 5 (second battalion to go into Helmand) so did a little bit of soldiering… drove warships with the Navy for a couple of years too. 

Starting to sound a bit waltery.  Which branch allows you to serve as a ground force in Afghanistan and a also a navy helmsman.  Did you leave the RAF and join the Navy? 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, cissolt said:

Starting to sound a bit waltery.  Which branch allows you to serve as a ground force in Afghanistan and an also a navy helmsman.  Did you leave the RAF and join the Navy? 

lol. No I was an exchange ‘Freddie’ RN term for a Fighter controller. I went to HMS Illustrious and then HMS Manchester - although rare for an RAF officer to get his OOW ticket, I did the JWO Navigation courses, and all the other courses an RN officer would do to get my ticket - but I remained RAF. A Royal Navy officer did the opposite (hence ‘exchange’ tour) and served at RAF Neatishead as a fighter controller alongside the RAF. In 2004 I was serving in the CAOC in Qatar as a SODO - and deployed to the USMarine DASC in Kandahar to help integrate the UK Harriers into the coalition ORBAT -Then in 2006 I joined the Royal Marine Unit CAF (Commander Amphibious Forces) in Portsmouth as SO2 Air - and deployed with  3 Cdo Brigade on Herrick 5 before then moving to a policy role in the MOD in 2007. Any more questions? Very happy to meet for a beer and you can pull up a sandbag and I’ll tell you all about it. 

2 hours ago, Steve_Christian said:

lol. No I was an exchange ‘Freddie’ RN term for a Fighter controller. I went to HMS Illustrious and then HMS Manchester - although rare for an RAF officer to get his OOW ticket, I did the JWO Navigation courses, and all the other courses an RN officer would do to get my ticket - but I remained RAF. A Royal Navy officer did the opposite (hence ‘exchange’ tour) and served at RAF Neatishead as a fighter controller alongside the RAF. In 2004 I was serving in the CAOC in Qatar as a SODO - and deployed to the USMarine DASC in Kandahar to help integrate the UK Harriers into the coalition ORBAT -Then in 2006 I joined the Royal Marine Unit CAF (Commander Amphibious Forces) in Portsmouth as SO2 Air - and deployed with  3 Cdo Brigade on Herrick 5 before then moving to a policy role in the MOD in 2007. Any more questions? Very happy to meet for a beer and you can pull up a sandbag and I’ll tell you all about it. 

sounds like you should apply for the air traffic controllers job at the airport , or advise the Home affairs department on how to deploy the apache helicopter they will no doubt be looking to buy to enforce our borders when they bring the new legislation in ,

1 hour ago, Omobono said:

sounds like you should apply for the air traffic controllers job at the airport , or advise the Home affairs department on how to deploy the apache helicopter they will no doubt be looking to buy to enforce our borders when they bring the new legislation in ,

A good friend of mine did re-train as ATC. In our trade they waive the maximum age you can start- I think he was 38, he now works in the tower in Heathrow and loves it. (I don’t know if that’s still the case)  I always found the ATC part of the job a little boring - although I did enjoy doing the talk down of the Harriers into the carrier. They had enough fuel for a short go-around once if they (or I) messed it up and then they’d have to ditch. My partner has recently deployed on Queen Elizabeth and Prince of Wales with 617 sqn which is pretty cool. 

I thought ex military people were reluctant to talk about....'' What did you do in the War Grandad''.  ?

Don't doubt you but getting a bit 'Linkedin' profile now Steve! 😜.

... and it's not unusual to use a pseudonym online, quite normal in fact .