Armed Police - Casually strolling

Maugholdmafia

22 minutes ago, Derek Flint said:

Griff and Paddy have retired.

These cops you see aren't 'deployed'. Read the stuff I've highlighted. 

So the isle of man police has then gone from white helmet bobbies on the beat to bullet proof vest robocops on Strand street. 

Another step towards Government madness. Next we will be getting arrested for commenting on this forum

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Derek Flint said:

If it is any comfort, the Scots were outraged about a standing authority armed carry some years ago. 

Yeah, but you get the 'us and them' thing I hope,  and the distancing even more from the public which the police are employed to protect.

"Look at me I've got a big gun". Which makes me want to say "oh fuck off" but obviously I er, don't.

PS I've fired more rounds than these guys have had the proverbial hot dinners. One or two of them (for good reason) I wouldn't trust with a truncheon let alone an automatic weapon.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, A fool and his money..... said:

We don't need them here, it's that simple. I don't care how you dress it up.

One of the ever decreasing list of benefits of living on the island is its safety.

If you don't go looking for trouble, it's extremely unlikely that it will find you.

It is exactly no safer with the presence of armed police, we simply don't need them.

Give Russ Foster a ring. I'm sure he'd be grateful for your input. 631212 - ask for the Chief Constable. 

1 minute ago, Kopek said:

Simple solution, either take the guns off , store securely and go for a coffee......or.......

Get someone to bring the coffees to the rest room.

If they are meeting a boat with a threat onboard, it's not as though the boat is going to creep in behind their  backs???

No it isn't. 

History has shown it is when you are constantly taking guns on and off, is when mistakes and accidents on. 

Holster it - leave it there unless needed - put it back in the armoury at end of shift.

Remember, coppers are simple folk. Keep it that way for them

1 minute ago, A fool and his money..... said:

We don't need them here, it's that simple. I don't care how you dress it up.

One of the ever decreasing list of benefits of living on the island is its safety.

If you don't go looking for trouble, it's extremely unlikely that it will find you.

It is exactly no safer with the presence of armed police, we simply don't need them.

Give Russ Foster a ring. I'm sure he'd be grateful for your input. 631212 - ask for the Chief Constable. 

1 minute ago, Kopek said:

Simple solution, either take the guns off , store securely and go for a coffee......or.......

Get someone to bring the coffees to the rest room.

If they are meeting a boat with a threat onboard, it's not as though the boat is going to creep in behind their  backs???

No it isn't. 

History has shown it is when you are constantly taking guns on and off, is when mistakes and accidents on. 

Holster it - leave it there unless needed - put it back in the armoury at end of shift.

Remember, coppers are simple folk. Keep it that way for them

34 minutes ago, Derek Flint said:

You've enlightened one member of the community, well done. Your mate can now state that "half the Isle of man think we can just leave the gun lying around when going for a coffee" (or for a dump - see Pulp Fiction's Vincent for details).

Edited by Barlow

5 minutes ago, Maugholdmafia said:

So the isle of man police has then gone from white helmet bobbies on the beat to bullet proof vest robocops on Strand street. 

Another step towards Government madness. Next we will be getting arrested for commenting on this forum

If that is the political will, then I am sure they will oblige

3 minutes ago, Barlow said:

Yeah, but you get the 'us and them' thing I hope,  and the distancing even more from the public which the police are employed to protect.

"Look at me I've got a big gun". Which makes me want to say "oh fuck off" but obviously I er, don't.

PS I've fired more rounds than these guys have had the proverbial hot dinners. One or two of them (for good reason) I wouldn't trust with a truncheon let alone an automatic weapon.

On the latter, I wouldn't bet on it. Many, many thousands are expended in training. It is a very long course and the fail rate is usually over 50%

On the former, I totally get it. Although the explanation will be very broadly the same, it would be good for the cops to do some public reassurance. They've got a new PR bod whom I'm sure will be all over this.

10 minutes ago, Banker said:

Where should they go then ? Noas ?

On their wages?

7 minutes ago, Gladys said:

Just been to Tesco Vic Road.  There was a fully equipped PC there picking up a sandwich.  He had what looked like a gun, but I think it may have been a taser.  Is it more likely this was what was seen in Costa? 

Tasers are yellow 

Guns are black

Mix them both up

And you may get the sack

• Haha 2

30 minutes ago, Derek Flint said:

If it is any comfort, the Scots were outraged about a standing authority armed carry some years ago. 

It's of no comfort or no relevance either.

If the public of a country of over 5 million people with a long history of violent crime and sectarianism, with close cultural links to Northern Ireland, don't feel they need an armed police presence, then why is it felt necessary in on a sleepy, law abiding island of 85K?

The short answer is, it isn't necessary, not even close.

You get the impression our armed police are more to protect the ego of some small time copper who's found himself in some sleepy blackwater than they are to protect members of the public - who I think it's fairly clear, do not want or need them.

• Like 2