Armed Police - Casually strolling

Maugholdmafia

8 minutes ago, Derek Flint said:

The officers aren't deployed until they are deployed. A standing authority provides a degree of readiness.

The best way to try and put context on it is in a short survey.

You live in Andreas. A situation develops where the criteria for deployment is met. 

What would you deem acceptable as a response time?

(A) one hour 

(B) fifteen minutes?

I think you are 'clutching at straws' Derek?

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Gladys said:

OK, so deployed is the wrong term, but there are still police officers wandering around armed.  And your short survey above still has not answered what has happened here to justify police officers in the community armed as routine?

The answer is very likely, nothing has changed, other than the new CC is more alive to his need to be able to respond in an effect and timely manner to foreseeable threat and risk.

The numbers and types of fiream lawfully held on island gives rise to that foreseeable risk for a starter.

13 minutes ago, Kopek said:

The problems that arise from armed police is that, the more often they are seen, the more of them that are used the more worried the public are that something could go wrong. Something that couuld affect them?

The U.S. always armed police are a good example, so many 'accidents' involving innocent victims or, worse, bystanders. The American police must go through similar training but still get it wrong on too many occasions, of course American gun laws don't help, too many nervous trigger fingers expecting the worst!!!

Then of course there are other Countries, Brasil??/, where vigilante police do as they wish!

On the Island, the more the public cannot see the reason for these police, the less respect they will have for the police in general and the more worried they will be for their own safety?

The Sea terminal case seems to be a little OTT? Even if the police have 'intelligence' that some drug Barons are on the boat, they don't need to kit up until the boat is in the Bay? and they certainly don't need to go for a coffee armed? It is just the wrong impression!

It would seem to be, not a response to an imminent threat but 'conditioning' of the public to get used to this!!!

And I agree the Constabulary could be more on the front foot about this. Hopefully, once some of the more hysterical responders to this thread have read in more detail then there will be a better understanding. That said, it's like the cops asking folk not to speculate!

You cannot compare the US to the British policing armed training and deployment. Too many layers of jurisdiction and differences in training. 

The naturally risk- averse nature of British policing has brought progressive improvements over the last 30 years 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Derek Flint said:

The numbers and types of fiream lawfully held on island gives rise to that foreseeable risk for a starter.

And possibly unlawfully. The stuff that is handed in annually during amnesties proves that.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Derek Flint said:

The answer is very likely, nothing has changed, other than the new CC is more alive to his need to be able to respond in an effect and timely manner to foreseeable threat and risk.

So, nothing has changed other than a new CC? I have no problem with a trained armed response unit, but do they need to be permanently armed?  Is there a foreseeable threat and risk?

The fact that the firearms are lawfully held should give a little comfort surely? 

On your continuum, is not the routine carrying of arms a contributory link in the chain of events? Almost a self-fulfilling prophecy? 

I also have a bit of a theory about the Port Erin incident, based on nothing other than my own imagination.  Operation Strongbox, or whatever, had amazing results in seizing large amounts of drugs coming onto the island. But did it also push those making the big bucks into deciding that a better way would be to manufacture here and bring in the raw materials? 

Fanciful perhaps. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Gladys said:

So, nothing has changed other than a new CC? I have no problem with a trained armed response unit, but do they need to be permanently armed?  Is there a foreseeable threat and risk?

The fact that the firearms are lawfully held should give a little comfort surely? 

On your continuum, is not the routine carrying of arms a contributory link in the chain of events? Almost a self-fulfilling prophecy? 

I also have a bit of a theory about the Port Erin incident, based on nothing other than my own imagination.  Operation Strongbox, or whatever, had amazing results in seizing large amounts of drugs coming onto the island. But did it also push those making the big bucks into deciding that a better way would be to manufacture here and bring in the raw materials? 

Fanciful perhaps. 

A CC who has amongst other things, completed the Strategic Command Course.

Lawfully held firearms were used in several of the biggest atrocities in the last 40 years in the UK, let alone abroad.

Contributory to what? 

who knows on the last one. Possible hypothesis 

3 minutes ago, Kopek said:

Go to sleep Derek, tomorrow you will be more refreshed!!!

It's 0725 where I am. I can go all day!

Contributory to a continuum where firearms become the weapon of choice. A continuum is a chain of events where each action propels the next. Where on that continuum are we?  Which has come first, a criminal being armed or the police response? 

Yes, legally held firearms have been used in atrocities, but has a firearm (legal or otherwise) been used in an atrocity here? 

Or is an armed response,seemingly to every 'event' going to ensure that the 'crims' properly tool up next time? 

As I said, no problem with a trained unit, just whether having officers carrying arms as routine is proportionate to the risk here. 

As to my hypothesis, it is exactly that. 

• Like 1