Early Release

Passing Time

Can't find details of the original sentence, but only those serving fewer than 4 years are eligible for the early release, which sees prisoners released at 40% of sentence rather than 50%. So without this change he would've been out in a couple of months anyway. Does anyone think the result would have been any different? i.e. this is not indicative of a failure of the policy.

1 hour ago, HeliX said:

Can't find details of the original sentence, but only those serving fewer than 4 years are eligible for the early release, which sees prisoners released at 40% of sentence rather than 50%. So without this change he would've been out in a couple of months anyway. Does anyone think the result would have been any different? i.e. this is not indicative of a failure of the policy.

Bit of a shrug of the shoulders there Helix.

21 minutes ago, Shake me up Judy said:

Bit of a shrug of the shoulders there Helix.

At this being a news story heralded as proof that early release doesn't work, yes. Obviously the offence is awful, there's no contention over that so it doesn't add much to the discussion.

1 hour ago, TheTeapot said:

Over crowded prisons are a failure of policy, Well, the failure of lots of policies.

The biggest failure of policy being David Cameron and Gideon Osborne and their "austerity" drive. They not only reduced the Police Force by 20,000 officers but they also started closing courts. For example since 2010 over half of the Magistrates Courts have been closed.

This has slowed down the justice system leading to more prisoners on Remand awaiting trial. A "snapshot" of UK prisons in June this year showed that out of 87,726 inmates there were 17,070 on Remand.

A total lack of joined-up thinking entirely typical of tory governments.

Thank goodness the adults are now in charge...

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, P.K. said:

The biggest failure of policy being David Cameron and Gideon Osborne and their "austerity" drive. They not only reduced the Police Force by 20,000 officers but they also started closing courts. For example since 2010 over half of the Magistrates Courts have been closed.

This has slowed down the justice system leading to more prisoners on Remand awaiting trial. A "snapshot" of UK prisons in June this year showed that out of 87,726 inmates there were 17,070 on Remand.

A total lack of joined-up thinking entirely typical of tory governments.

Thank goodness the adults are now in charge...

The biggest failure is the pointless war on drugs locking people up for possession.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, P.K. said:

No I'm not.

They knew they were breaking the law so only have themselves to blame for the consequences.

If you can't do the time etc...

You're still doing it. I didn't say anything contrary to any of that, I said the law that put them there is a policy failure.

4 minutes ago, HeliX said:

You're still doing it. I didn't say anything contrary to any of that, I said the law that put them there is a policy failure.

Prove it.

On a contentious issue like this I like to put numbers around it to back up the case. You should try it.

If you do don't forget to include the number of crimes associated with trying to feed an addiction...