Build it and they will come...

Derek Flint

1 minute ago, The Bastard said:

Clearing up some naturally-occurring seaweed isn't the start of a plan for the village. There's far bigger issues stopping regeneration and redevelopment that a small group of commissioners aren't going to fix. They can't change the economic realities of a small population and negligeable tourism by clearing up some seaweed.  Isn't seaweed something you expect in a village by the sea ?

Not when it is rotting and smelly. 

Have the PSM Commissioners got a plan of how they would like the village to develop?

If so I would like to see it.

23 minutes ago, Moghrey Mie said:

Not when it is rotting and smelly. 

Have the PSM Commissioners got a plan of how they would like the village to develop?

If so I would like to see it.

Seaweed does rot. it's what it does. Not unexpected in a village by the sea. 

Plans for village development assume that the Commissioners are in control of all the economic factors that govern economic development on the IOM, and have the budget to be able to make significant change. They aren't in control of it, they don't have any significant budget, and they can't even fix the roads. They've even got someone filling in potholes with compost for attention-seeking, when a tub of road repair would clearly do a better job. 

All the old resorts are in need of investment and redevelopment, but investment is driven from the private sector. All of the old Victorian tourist infrastructure, railways and resorts were built by private investment, not by (local) Government. At the risk of repetition, there isn't the population, or the amount of tourists, to drive regeneration to the levels of the old tourist era.

Edited by The Bastard
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, Twitch said:

Haven't visited admittedly but the pictures look nice.

However I seem to recall reading that this refurb was a multimillion pound investment and I wonder the likelihood of the owner seeing a return on that.

The grandfather funded it all, Roy Dixon I understand 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Tinpot said:

Yes.  The website is out of date, they often are because people don’t really use websites much, they tend to look on social media which is much easier to keep up to date.

I would have thought you would have remembered that from when you made yourself look a bit silly over the Ravens opening hours.

Social media for up to date info.  Websites and Google listings are often not up to date.

I would have thought that was a fundamental thing to keep up top date. I don't have Facebook so I wouldn't look there. I didn't even know. Maybe I am strange but I think if I had a business I would make sure my website reflected this, especially six months after I had opened. I would have thought if I was paying for a website hosting I would make sure I was getting value from it. But heyho, you know better

2 hours ago, Jarndyce said:

Website says open “Spring 2024” - it’s now autumn.

Not unreasonable that it might have opened sometime between those two points.

Also, irrespective of the website (which is not inaccurate, although might benefit from an update), are you suggesting that everyone who has actually been there are suffering from some mass delusion?   It’s really open!

I found it and looked for an online booking option, you know those things that pretty much any proper establisjment has and, you guessed it, its not there.

2 hours ago, Jarndyce said:

As above: your comment doesn’t refer to the website - you just stated that it wasn’t open yet…

Apologies - I was being facetious

It's not open on a Monday or Tuesday Kellas, and neither is anything else apart from the coop. 

Port St Mary does of course have seaweed issues, but the main smell comes from the fish factories on a warm sunny day. Don't be stood on Bay View Road when the shell wagon goes past!

11 minutes ago, Happier diner said:

Well I didn't know it existed. If I knew it existed and I checked their website page I would have concluded it wasn't open yet. FFS if they can't change "opening soon" to "now open" in 6 months...well....they must be clueless

Whatever...don't go, then - that'll show 'em!

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, TheTeapot said:

It's not open on a Monday or Tuesday Kellas, and neither is anything else apart from the coop. 

Port St Mary does of course have seaweed issues, but the main smell comes from the fish factories on a warm sunny day. Don't be stood on Bay View Road when the shell wagon goes past!

The sound cafe is open 7 days per week all year around.

• Confused 1

27 minutes ago, Happier diner said:

Well I didn't know it existed. If I knew it existed and I checked their website page I would have concluded it wasn't open yet. FFS if they can't change "opening soon" to "now open" in 6 months...well....they must be clueless 

You should get yourself on Facebook.

Its much easier to keep up with things and find out about new places.