Alf's House

Mr Snaefell

Seems a raw nerve has been hit. Please bear this in mind when posting.

I understand that you may be, or may know, a moderator on the Manx Forums site. 

I was perturbed to see a thread analysis of my house emerging. I do have a public address of course and my house is on the market, but I do regard this thread as an unwarranted intrusion, particularly as my wife and two step children are living in the property. I am of course “public property” but they are most certainly not. Please could I ask that their privacy is respected.

I am afraid to say also that unfortunately personal security threats do exist and express harm has previously been made against me and the family. It really does seem completely unnecessary to expose any more than necessary personal living arrangements.

Also, I might add that whilst any publicity may be regarded as good publicity, any statements made that could be interpreted as damaging the value of the property would be of significant concern.

If you do have any influence, could I politely ask whether this matter could be reviewed.

Yours sincerely 

Alfred Cannan

• Confused 1

14 minutes ago, MF Moderator said:

Seems a raw nerve has been hit. Please bear this in mind when posting.

I understand that you may be, or may know, a moderator on the Manx Forums site. 

I was perturbed to see a thread analysis of my house emerging. I do have a public address of course and my house is on the market, but I do regard this thread as an unwarranted intrusion, particularly as my wife and two step children are living in the property. I am of course “public property” but they are most certainly not. Please could I ask that their privacy is respected.

I am afraid to say also that unfortunately personal security threats do exist and express harm has previously been made against me and the family. It really does seem completely unnecessary to expose any more than necessary personal living arrangements.

Also, I might add that whilst any publicity may be regarded as good publicity, any statements made that could be interpreted as damaging the value of the property would be of significant concern.

If you do have any influence, could I politely ask whether this matter could be reviewed.

Yours sincerely 

Alfred Cannan

Close or delete the thread.  It serves no purpose other than to cause distress to the family. 

• Like 7
  • Thanks 3

27 minutes ago, MF Moderator said:

any statements made that could be interpreted as damaging the value of the property would be of significant concern.

Initially I could not work out whether or not this was a spoof. I am still not 100% sure. But the response was in less than 12 hours, so someone is monitoring this site. Fame at last for Manx Forums.

Cannan is worried that some junk posted anywhere on social media, in particular Manx Forums, is going to influence the opinion of someone interested in buying a £3/4 million house? Bizarre.

Threats? Safety? The next thing will be that Derek Flint will suggest that all MHKs should have a personal armed guard, and the Chief Minister, two. And a bullet-proof car.

The car he can park for free in Douglas. My estimate is that the parking for free for the elite has cost the taxpayer about £1 million since the end of covid. Cannan does not seem too worried about that loss of income, only his own.

I believe the acronym is FFS! People gossiping on social media about a politician. We should bring back that former politician who wanted to close down all social media. (That was sarcasm).

1 minute ago, Two-lane said:

Initially I could not work out whether or not this was a spoof. I am still not 100% sure. But the response was in less than 12 hours, so someone is monitoring this site. Fame at last for Manx Forums.

Cannan is worried that some junk posted anywhere on social media, in particular Manx Forums, is going to influence the opinion of someone interested in buying a £3/4 million house? Bizarre.

Threats? Safety? The next thing will be that Derek Flint will suggest that all MHKs should have a personal armed guard, and the Chief Minister, two. And a bullet-proof car.

The car he can park for free in Douglas. My estimate is that the parking for free for the elite has cost the taxpayer about £1 million since the end of covid. Cannan does not seem too worried about that loss of income, only his own.

I believe the acronym is FFS! People gossiping on social media about a politician. We should bring back that former politician who wanted to close down all social media. (That was sarcasm).

£750,000.

1 hour ago, La Colombe said:

What a bizarre thing to open with in the context of the subsequent post. 

Even more bizarre for a forum that openly allowed the posting of false rumours about him fighting with police officers and resisting arrest on a drink driving charge to the point that he had to rebut them in the newspapers (although I notice that has now quietly disappeared). But showing what his wall paper and toilet look like results in a warning about posting bad things about Alf’s house!