Easy money

Fred the shred

8 minutes ago, Cambon said:

Because they would be about as effective as speed bumps. Once you are passed it, you zoom off. Speed cameras are an ugly waste of time. In the uk, they are strategically placed to generate revenue. 

How does that work when they move about like I suggested.

I don’t know where the ones in the UK are, so I am always careful to watch my speed.  Same would apply here if they moved about.

Plus we could hide them.  We don’t have to follow the UK

Edited by Tinpot
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, x-in-man said:

NOT a camera that you slow down for and then speed up afterwards - and cost money to install and look after

Hide them and move them.  Nobody knows where they are so drive accordingly.

Sorted.  People who aren’t nobs continue not to be nobs, and those who aren’t get fined all the time.  Winner winner as those of us who aren’t nobs also know we won’t get squashed crossing the road.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Tinpot said:

What’s the problem with making sure people don’t speed within sensible limits?  Got to be better for old people, kids, everyone really.

Why would anyone object other than just objecting to there being rules because they think that makes them cool?

Don't mention old people..... HiVibes will be along any minute now.

• Haha 1

50 minutes ago, x-in-man said:

Look, they don't give a shit about the untaxed cars and unregistered vans round my way. 

THAT'S easy money - getting what is already owed with minimum expenditure.  

NOT a camera that you slow down for and then speed up afterwards - and cost money to install and look after,

All vehicle number plates should display tax and insurance badges 

11 minutes ago, Passing Time said:

All vehicle number plates should display tax and insurance badges 

They cannot even be bothered when people don't show a big paper circle in the windscreen - what difference is a small sticker on a number plate going to make?

• Like 1

Easy money and road safety are not the same thing.

It would seem that some authorities in England may twitter about road safety, but their real interest is money - which they refer to as an "income stream". One m.ph. over the 20 m.p.h limit is a fine - rules are rules and all that stuff. But just because they want the money.

Safety is more about how people behave in general - referred to as "culture" and is not limited to 20 m.p.h. areas.

Here the gov. is again a split personality. They want road safety and yet they want to advertise the IoM as a place where you can drive as fast as you like. Yesterday I drove over the mountain from Ramsey to Douglas. Coming in the opposite direction were a series of sports cars being driven at ludicrous speeds (and at least one without a front number plate).

Once again the response from people here is that no one got killed, and that is not the same as how they drive in built-up areas, and they bring money to the island.

The IoM is the only country that does not have speed limits on all two-way roads, which is a significant statement about the gov. here and the people who support the lack of speed limits (they have the same mentality as people in lunatic asylums who think they are sane and the rest of the world is insane). That encourages some people to drive in an aggressive way.

To change people's mentality about speed, that the island is so small that speed is irrelevant, that you should look for little feet behind parked cars, and so on, would improve road safety.

But every weekend people will be out on motorbikes and Audi cars driving at idiotic speeds over the mountain and elsewhere because they get a thrill out of it.

[Also the other day on the way down from Bulgham to Laxey, driving at 50 or so, an Aston Martin SUV came by at maybe 100 mph. That's the way some people behave if you let them]

[[Easy money is getting the elite to pay for car parking in Douglas.]]

4 hours ago, Tinpot said:

How does that work when they move about like I suggested.

I don’t know where the ones in the UK are, so I am always careful to watch my speed.  Same would apply here if they moved about.

Plus we could hide them.  We don’t have to follow the UK

Actually, we do have to follow the uk. We cannot hide them. They have to be absolutely obvious, and stand out like a sore thumb to be legal, even the mobile ones. I am not against the mobile ones. The fixed ones are hideous.