The close borders mentals are planning a take over!

Luker

1 hour ago, Thomas Dalby said:

I don’t quite know where the narrative that that is the case is coming from. This is the policy which seems geared very much on incoming security?

https://www.gov.im/media/1385612/borders-strategy-final-sep-24-compressed.pdf

2 hours ago, John Wright said:

The passengers and vehicles are searched on arrival here. Both at sea terminal and Ronaldsway.  There are also searches of out bound traffic. Both are necessary. I’ve no idea why JPW is putting so much emphasis on outbound rather than inbound security. It’s illogical, and it’s not what happens in practice.

I'm assuming JPW was just mincing her words. Surely no one thinks any drugs or weapons are outgoing, only cash.

I suppose if there is a nice easy route in, there is an easy route out. (Drop a bit off on the Island for the lads maybe, keep the locals 'happy')

On the boat I have never been searched as a foot passenger at Heysham or Liverpool coming in, but it seems every time going out from Douglas I must be shifty looking or 'on the list' and I get a frisking.

With car, never searched coming to the Island (many times) and only once leaving the Island. The search was cursory and they found a Stanley ® knife in the side pocket but no luggage search. It doesn't make sense to me.

The only solace I get is hoping that during the journey the locked up car deck is being sniffer dogged out (for what good that will do) because there is a lot of drugs makes its way onto the Island. Where the fuk is it coming in from? I sppose it is easy enough to cut open and reweld a metal conatiner or car chassis or whatever. Maybe I am thinking of The French Connection too much.

15 minutes ago, Barlow said:

On the boat I have never been searched as a foot passenger at Heysham or Liverpool coming in, but it seems every time going out from Douglas I must be shifty looking or 'on the list' and I get a frisking.

Have you considered changing your tailor?

tumblr_mqt6sgXrAu1rh7mbvo1_400.jpg

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Barlow said:

Where the fuk is it coming in from? I sppose it is easy enough to cut open and reweld a metal conatiner or car chassis or whatever. Maybe I am thinking of The French Connection too much.

No, there are quite a few vehicles stopped with sophisticated hides installed. And even then the cannabis smell escapes at levels detectable by the dogs.

My understanding is that every inbound sailing is searched with dogs.

• Like 1

And such as say, heavy steel containers or whatever - cut away a section and weld it up again. There ain't no sniffer dog gonna find that.

It's good to hear that inbound sailings are searched.

2 hours ago, The Phantom said:

I'm assuming JPW was just mincing her words. Surely no one thinks any drugs or weapons are outgoing, only cash.

She wasn’t “mincing her words”, she simply referred to the movement of drugs, weapons and cash on and off the Island as referred to in the published paper. Of course there’s never been a suggestion from the Govt that there’s a drug export business to NW England rather than the other way round, but the “edited for accuracy” crowd go missing on here when it suits them.

On 9/26/2024 at 5:22 AM, MadAsHell said:

No, anyone can drop the forms off at the counter. I couldn't believe how easy it was.

But that's the same process for most other countries.   It's the documents you give which matter . The only time you have to go in person is if biometrics are needed. 

One exception is the USA where there is a Face to face interview .

Edited by mad_manx

1 hour ago, mad_manx said:

But that's the same process for most other countries.   It's the documents you give which matter . The only time you have to go in person is if biometrics are needed. 

One exception is the USA where there is a Face to face interview .

There are lots of countries around the world where you are 'invited' by consular divisions to their embassy for them to assess whether you are who you say you are and to quiz your motives. Some British Embassies around the world certainly do that. And they deal with hundreds of such applications a month. Somehow, though, between UK & IOM immigration they manage to screw it up and for far, far fewer numbers.

3 hours ago, Andy Onchan said:

There are lots of countries around the world where you are 'invited' by consular divisions to their embassy for them to assess whether you are who you say you are and to quiz your motives. Some British Embassies around the world certainly do that. And they deal with hundreds of such applications a month. Somehow, though, between UK & IOM immigration they manage to screw it up and for far, far fewer numbers.

That's only if the case needs review. If it's a straightforward application then a personal visit is not needed ( except for biometrics)..

USA is probably the only major country that insists on interviews for all applicants. Might be something  the UK should also consider ..

Edited by mad_manx

2 minutes ago, mad_manx said:

That's only if the case needs review. If it's a straightforward application then a personal visit is not needed ( except for biometrics)..

USA is probably the only major country that insists on interviews for all applicants. Might be something  the UK should also consider ..

As I said some British embassies insist on an interview irrespective of whether biometrics are involved or not. I know this from experience with some of my overseas colleagues. 

• Like 1

On 9/24/2024 at 7:21 PM, John Wright said:

My understanding is that every inbound sailing is searched with dogs.

got to check so the right people can get their cut. a sort of modern day dockers tax

Edited by WTF