The close borders mentals are planning a take over!

Luker

18 hours ago, Tinpot said:

So, out and about in the real world today rather than the small sample that is Manxforums……..

Nobody cares.  People seem to think it’s a good and long overdue idea to be able to identify known criminals at the ports.

Make it easier to smuggle drugs in. Send known criminal ahead, totally clean. While he is being apprehended, just walk the contraband past the border force. 

3 hours ago, Fred the shred said:

We want to keep our place safe that is why border controls are needed.   The world has changed read the papers, watch the news.

Jane Poole Wilson stated that the enhanced searches at the sea terminal are to prevent the flow of weapons and drugs off the island.  This is quite obviously bollocks.  Nobody is snuggling either of these things off the island.  Heysham is a weak point in our border security.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Heard Jane Poole Wilson on the radio today, sooner her time is up as an MHK the better. Listening to the zeal in her voice about the dangers of not having identity cards DNA testing voice recognition  and NPR  the borders of the island will be awash with drug dealers and their Glock wielding enforcers. Not to mention the Welsh 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

On 9/20/2024 at 2:02 PM, cissolt said:

Jane Poole Wilson stated that the enhanced searches at the sea terminal are to prevent the flow of weapons and drugs off the island.  This is quite obviously bollocks.  Nobody is snuggling either of these things off the island.  Heysham is a weak point in our border security.

Where are the weapons and drugs producing facilities for export on this Island please, JPW? There are precious few weapons or requirement to use them (yet) and the Island is a consumer of drugs rather than a producer, the regular trafficking convictions from import are testimony to that.

Somebody is building a case for empire construction and/or further control of the population.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, Non-Believer said:

Where are the weapons and drugs producing facilities for export on this Island please, JPW? There are precious few weapons or requirement to use them (yet) and the Island is a consumer of drugs rather than a producer, the regular trafficking convictions from import are testimony to that.

Somebody is building a case for empire construction and/or further control of the population.

That was my view.  The new multi bay search area for departures at the sea terminal, manned by customs and the police, should be kicked into touch. What are they searching for? 

One enlightening part of the conference stated that they suspect wide spread abuse of our visa system but have no way to know the extent.  Why has nobody been fired over this?

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, cissolt said:

That was my view.  The new multi bay search area for departures at the sea terminal, manned by customs and the police, should be kicked into touch. What are they searching for? 

One enlightening part of the conference stated that they suspect wide spread abuse of our visa system but have no way to know the extent.  Why has nobody been fired over this?

Possibly searching for cash proceeds of drug deals?  Although you would think it would likely be mostly Manx so not very useful off-island, or at least very noticeable.

It depends on how the visa system works and interacts with the UK entry system, I guess.   If there is widespread abuse, what is the flaw in our system, and the UK system, to allow the abuse?  Not an area I am familiar with, but whoever is coming here, generally, has to get into the UK first.  So, does our visa system allow entry to the UK, ie someone with an IOM visa can automatically get into the UK for onward travel to their final destination, or is it just a system which allows the holder to work here and so only an IOM domestic arrangement? 

It does seem to be an area which needs critical review, not least for the potential for people trafficking.  

• Like 1

On 9/20/2024 at 10:02 PM, cissolt said:

13 minutes ago, cissolt said:

One thing that does go off is big bundles of cash. 

There's a balance to be struck I think. If the bad and ugly can be surveillance and targeted quietly in the background then this a good thing. If putting customs and the cops in charge of search that might be better too. I was pulled in a couple of visits ago - middle aged couple in a sports car. The four scallys in an 2007 Astra - not a problem. I know who the cops would have pulled over. The Noonans crew.seem to want a quiet time of it

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Derek Flint said:

One thing that does go off is big bundles of cash. 

There's a balance to be struck I think. If the bad and ugly can be surveillance and targeted quietly in the background then this a good thing. If putting customs and the cops in charge of search that might be better too. I was pulled in a couple of visits ago - middle aged couple in a sports car. The four scallys in an 2007 Astra - not a problem. I know who the cops would have pulled over. The Noonans crew.seem to want a quiet time of it

Agreed. You of all people will know that the vehicle ‘search’ is practically useless and serves either to make it look like something is being done, or as cover for intelligence led action. I am a regular traveler in a family friendly bus like vehicle, usually filled with luggage and my wife and kids. I am pulled over virtually every time, they mirror search the undercarriage and open the boot. They have never moved or opened a bag. It is utterly pointless. I agree that if the powers that be insist on these measures, at least do them right. As I have said before, keep it inteligence led, with discreet facial recognition and ANPR. Some staff who knew what they were doing would also be helpful.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Out of the blue said:

Agreed. You of all people will know that the vehicle ‘search’ is practically useless and serves either to make it look like something is being done, or as cover for intelligence led action. I am a regular traveler in a family friendly bus like vehicle, usually filled with luggage and my wife and kids. I am pulled over virtually every time, they mirror search the undercarriage and open the boot. They have never moved or opened a bag. It is utterly pointless. I agree that if the powers that be insist on these measures, at least do them right. As I have said before, keep it inteligence led, with discreet facial recognition and ANPR. Some staff who knew what they were doing would also be helpful.

I’ve had similar experiences and they’re an utter waste of time. I’ve never once notice been waved to one side and had the mirror under the van for an extensive search. Once coming over from Liverpool I was asked if I was carrying stowaways, drugs or knives. I said no to the first two but declared I was carrying knives, because I cooked on board and duly showed them my chef’s roll of several knives. They knew they had to ask the question but didn’t know what to do with the answer and they looked for all the world as if they really wished they hadn’t asked. Several walkie talkie conversations later and I was waved through by some embarrassed port security officers. Utterly pointless. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Out of the blue said:

Which does beg the question, why are they spending huge sums on new search bays and staffing? As well as checking under cars with a bomb mirror, I haven't seen those used since my time in northern Ireland during the troubles.

• Like 1