The close borders mentals are planning a take over!

Luker

2 minutes ago, The Phantom said:

I actually heard someone say recently it's triple the price here.  I don't believe it is that much, but it is definitely more and therefore if successful even more profit.  

...with the low hanging fruit they do catch...simply the expendables in the organisation.

15 minutes ago, The Phantom said:

Never thought of it that way to be honest. So ironically, increased searches and busts will actually increase the drug trade here.  Brilliant.  Maybe JPW and the Police will get a thank you card from the Scouse Cartels?

I actually heard someone say recently it's triple the price here.  I don't believe it is that much, but it is definitely more and therefore if successful even more profit.  

It makes the market more, and not less, attractive. The additional retail price covers a multitude of factors, detection and seizure losses, shortages when that happens, increased  risk to people in the supply chain. There are others.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

52 minutes ago, The Phantom said:

Bullion. 

I had to transport some money across borders a few years ago.  Not for drugs, but for something that would be easier kept under the radar.  I did it with gold.

Or Rolexes which was the favorite in Asia at one time to get cash out of one country and in to another. Buy a Rolex for £20K cash off a “reputable” re-seller on a trip to Hong Kong then sell it to a pawn shop in your home country for £18K. Then the original re-seller goes direct to the pawn shop you sold it to and legally buys it back for £19K. Then sells it to you again on your next trip for another £20K cash. Rinse and repeat. Same watch gets sold 5 or 6 times to the same person or people with both sides taking a 10% profit on it and if they catch you at the border you’re only wearing a nice watch you have a receipt for from a “reputable” re-seller. 

Edited by Alanbellend
  • Like 1

33 minutes ago, John Wright said:

Given that Manx Police and Treasury Customs & Excise have no authority at Heysham it’d be more Lancashire Constabulary than we. They’ve got bigger fish to fry.

Don't they? I thought cops could bus between the IOM/UK to support in a crisis - riots, strikes etc. over there (or e.g. Royal visit here).

We've even had German cops here in TT (though not sure if they were simply observing or had actual warrants).

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Alanbellend said:

Or Rolexes which was the favorite in Asia at one time to get cash out of one country and in to another. Buy a Rolex for £20K cash off a “reputable” re-seller on a trip to Hong Kong then sell it to a pawn shop in your home country for £18K. Then the original re-seller goes direct to the pawn shop you sold it to and legally buys it back for £19K. Then sells it to you again on your next trip for another £20K cash. Rinse and repeat. Same watch gets sold 5 or 6 times to the same person or people with both sides taking a 10% profit on it and if they catch you at the border you’re only wearing a nice watch you have a receipt for from a “reputable” re-seller. 

Watches devalue though. Gold of course fluctuates, but at the moment is mostly going up in price.

12 minutes ago, Albert Tatlock said:

We've even had German cops here in TT (though not sure if they were simply observing or had actual warrants).

I thought they are sworn in temporarily?

18 minutes ago, Albert Tatlock said:

Don't they? I thought cops could bus between the IOM/UK to support in a crisis - riots, strikes etc. over there (or e.g. Royal visit here).

No, they don’t. GB police have no authority here unless sworn in as Manx Constables. Anyway, operating a stop, search, presence outside Lancs police is not possible, and I don’t think Lancs police would want to set up a Heysham operation and then buy in Manx police and swear them in and monitor and supervise.

We buy in Royal visit stuff.

Lancs police have huge budgetary constraints.

The Germans are just a courtesy presence. Don’t think they’re sworn in or have any power.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

41 minutes ago, The Phantom said:

Watches devalue though. Gold of course fluctuates, but at the moment is mostly going up in price.

I’ve not seen a Rolex devalue in 15 years. They’re effectively a cash stable coin and used as a basic cash exchange system in some Asian countries. 

Edited by Alanbellend

12 hours ago, John Wright said:

It’s one of the moments of light relief at the police station. I’m seeing someone who has been arrested with £500 and are being asked to explain. I probably have more, in sterling notes in my wallet, and think that they’d better not search me.

Isn't  £1000 the lowest limit at which they can question you ..  £500 seems way too low .

• Like 2

15 hours ago, mad_manx said:

Isn't  £1000 the lowest limit at which they can question you ..  £500 seems way too low .

No. If you’re arrested with drugs and money, or with a sum of money not reflecting your lifestyle or circumstances, they can arrest and question under proceeds of crime legislation. There is no lower limit.

Someone in todays Examiner, with about £800 ( cash ) criminal property.

• Thanks 1

21 hours ago, John Wright said:

No, they don’t. GB police have no authority here unless sworn in as Manx Constables. Anyway, operating a stop, search, presence outside Lancs police is not possible, and I don’t think Lancs police would want to set up a Heysham operation and then buy in Manx police and swear them in and monitor and supervise.

We buy in Royal visit stuff.

Lancs police have huge budgetary constraints.

The Germans are just a courtesy presence. Don’t think they’re sworn in or have any power.

I'm no expert, maybe Derek can come along and assist, but isn't it better to stop the criminals and drugs entering via Heysham than searching outbound cars and post hopping to find money?  All seems a bit arse about face.

This new borders strategy seems to be missing the big gapping hole on entry and focussing on the least effective part of the process.

9 minutes ago, cissolt said:

I'm no expert, maybe Derek can come along and assist, but isn't it better to stop the criminals and drugs entering via Heysham than searching outbound cars and post hopping to find money?  All seems a bit arse about face.

This new borders strategy seems to be missing the big gapping hole on entry and focussing on the least effective part of the process.

The passengers and vehicles are searched on arrival here. Both at sea terminal and Ronaldsway.  There are also searches of out bound traffic. Both are necessary. I’ve no idea why JPW is putting so much emphasis on outbound rather than inbound security. It’s illogical, and it’s not what happens in practice.

There are advantages of catching people after arrival. You have them under surveillance and pick up their contacts here. The couriers bringing it in aren’t generally street level dealers. Let them in and catch the top level IoM distributors.

As I’ve posted before

1. it’s mainly intelligence led

2. IoM cops and Treasury Customs have no authority to act off island, no power to search, arrest, prosecute. Yes, they could be sworn in as Lancs or Merseyside, but then it would be a Lancs or Merseyside operation, with their officers in charge, supervising, allocating resources. I don’t think either would be interested, for many reasons.

17 hours ago, mad_manx said:

Last week I took £100 of English money to change or put onto my bank account, and was questioned as to where I acquired it.

Edited by Casta

1 hour ago, John Wright said:

I’ve no idea why JPW is putting so much emphasis on outbound rather than inbound security. It’s illogical, and it’s not what happens in practice.

I don’t quite know where the narrative that that is the case is coming from. This is the policy which seems geared very much on incoming security?

https://www.gov.im/media/1385612/borders-strategy-final-sep-24-compressed.pdf