Patient transfer quiet room in Liverpool. No more?

Tinpot

We’re devastated about the news that John Lennon Airport Liverpool have arbitrarily decided to close down our Patient Quiet Room there to use for more retail space . 

Liverpool John Lennon aims to be the North of England’s most accessible airport 
Posted: 13 January 2020 
Collaborating with multiple stakeholders and organisations, Liverpool John Lennon Airport has numerous initiatives in place for passengers with reduced mobility.

The ‘Quiet Space’ scheme
One of Liverpool John Lennons busiest routes is to the Isle of Man, with many patients  flying over from the island to Liverpool for medical treatment and hospital appointments. In partnership with the trustees of the Isle of Man Breast Cancer Support Charity, the airport has created a fully-equipped ‘Quiet Space’ in the Departure Lounge, with comfortable seating options, flight information screens and a television for passengers returning home after treatment. This space has been extremely popular with patients travelling for medical treatment , making a huge difference for them in terms of comfort and peace of mind, knowing that they can travel through hassle-free, confident that the journey will not cause too much stress or worry.

Not any more ! They plan on closing it soon . 
Our charity are finding it difficult to believe .
New Commercial Director - new plans which don’t give any thought at all to our patients 😢

• Sad 3

I’ve not used it despite having been over every few weeks at Aintree for treatment. Having chatted to many other patients who did use it regularly it’s going to be a massive loss. Lots of us travel early , 7 am flight out , and procedures can quite often be over long before midday. With some procedures leaving the patient quite lacking in energy or other ailments it can be a godsend for many to have somewhere to relax and get yourself ready for the return. It’s sad if something can’t be sorted to maintain this service. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Numbnuts said:

I’ve not used it despite having been over every few weeks at Aintree for treatment. Having chatted to many other patients who did use it regularly it’s going to be a massive loss. Lots of us travel early , 7 am flight out , and procedures can quite often be over long before midday. With some procedures leaving the patient quite lacking in energy or other ailments it can be a godsend for many to have somewhere to relax and get yourself ready for the return. It’s sad if something can’t be sorted to maintain this service. 

Wonder what it would cost to rent/lease 

7 minutes ago, Fred the shred said:

This is sad it is a quiet oasis in a busy airport when sometimes you are not feeling very well.   It isn’t that big and is not very near any other retail concerns cannot see it would be desirable for retail.    What a shame.

Yes it’s not easy to find and of the main walkway. Maybe the new airport director just wants the facility done away with but not sure what retail operation would want it. 

Edited by Numbnuts

I've been aware of it but never actually used it when I've been there. We do send a lot of patients through Liverpool Airport and it's not the most pleasant airport to spend any time in. It's basically a cattle market for Scousers jetting off to holidays in the sun. I'm sure that the quiet area has been valued by those who need it.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Fred the shred said:

More probably he is looking for the facility to continue but on rental terms.   Money  is all that is cared about unfortunately.   

Yes maybe , and there has been issues with hospital staff using the room and remotes going missing . Am sure he doesn’t need that when our organisers of the area bend his ear about it. Not saying there wrong to do that mind. 

1 minute ago, Shake me up Judy said:

I've been aware of it but never actually used it when I've been there. We do send a lot of patients through Liverpool Airport and it's not the most pleasant airport to spend any time in. It's basically a cattle market for Scousers jetting off to holidays in the sun. I'm sure that the quiet area has been valued by those who need it.

Your right . I’ve filled in time at the Aintree retail park just a short bus ride from the airport. Far better environment and lots of options to chill and get some food . Fortunately Comcabs will drop you off there and it’s only a 5 minute walk to a bus stop and the buses all stop at the airport. The airport for sure isn’t the best . 

• Like 1

For anyone wondering where this is from, it was posted on the IOM Patient Transfer (Feedback) Facebook a couple of hours ago.   It's not clear it it's been formally announced or not.

Of course Liverpool Airport is 45% owned by our old friends the Peel Group (Liverpool Council own 10% as well and you'd think both would be susceptible to political pressure.