Your pension to be used to fund the NHS from 2024?

FANDL

10 minutes ago, Jarndyce said:

“Apprentice” seems to imply that, once you’re “time-served”,  you’ll be a doctor - I’m not sure that it works like that.   @wrighty?

Apprentice training is being brought in as a route to doctor-hood.  But this isn't it. And not here at the moment as far as I'm aware.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

34 minutes ago, wrighty said:

Apprentice training is being brought in as a route to doctor-hood.  But this isn't it. And not here at the moment as far as I'm aware.

I did read online somewhere that either Ramsey or Peel are using physician associates.  In principle it's a good idea to triage some of the appointments away from Doctors, but this seems to be more of a cost cutting exercise in the UK

1 minute ago, Jarndyce said:

It’ll be a cost-cutting exercise here too!

I honestly don't think it is.  We cannot recruit enough GPs to provide the service level demanded, so practices are using PAs, Nurse Practitioners, paramedics and FCPs to fill the gaps.  If appropriately planned and managed this could be a very good thing, unfortunately it is dealt with akin to fire-fighting.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, wrighty said:

I honestly don't think it is.  We cannot recruit enough GPs to provide the service level demanded, so practices are using PAs, Nurse Practitioners, paramedics and FCPs to fill the gaps

Arguably, it could be two things at once.   If the practices aren’t flagging these posts as part of a CIP, then they’re missing a trick!

55 minutes ago, Venus said:

AI is the answer. we won't need any medical professionals if we invest enough in AI. Even surgeons will be replaced by AI in due course, but GPs certainly.

I would never say never, but it'll be a long time before AI replaces surgeons.  Even on Star Trek they had to wait until Voyager.

The first things to go will be some radiological and pathological disciplines - AI is already equal to, if not better than, humans looking at mammograms.  It's also being used to report CT scans of heads in some circumstances.  GP consultations may follow, but even so, just think how frustrating it is now trying to sort out your credit card or amazon account with their AI chatbots.  There'll be a real person watching over it all for a long time yet.

ETA - and we shouldn't be surprised by this, nor alarmed.  It's quite a few years now that computers became better chess players than humans, and we no longer hold foot races against mechanical devices as it's been a couple of hundred years of mechanical superiority.

Edited by wrighty
extra words

4 hours ago, Albert Tatlock said:

It's due to the archaic way they process these, not being joined to the UK system, and the number of staff.

In other words, all a bag of poop.

The UK situation regarding info on state pensions is infinitely worse. I've helped a few employees through their machinations. It's shocking. Apparently Martin Lewis is to blame.

remember, manx care is £18m under funded

https://www.manxradio.com/news/isle-of-man-news/best-efforts-being-made-to-retrieve-outstanding-income-tax-payments/

Treasury currently owed £18m in unpaid tax

The chief minister is confident 'best efforts' are being made to retrieve outstanding income tax payments.

Edited by lfc84

17 minutes ago, lfc84 said:

remember, manx care is £18m under funded

https://www.manxradio.com/news/isle-of-man-news/best-efforts-being-made-to-retrieve-outstanding-income-tax-payments/

Treasury currently owed £18m in unpaid tax

The chief minister is confident 'best efforts' are being made to retrieve outstanding income tax payments.

Sorry, one of those is me.  They sent me a demand for 56p.  I'm making a point of not paying it. 

31 minutes ago, The Phantom said:

Sorry, one of those is me.  They sent me a demand for 56p.  I'm making a point of not paying it. 

Why that's enough for a plastic bag for two removed tonsils. Just how many operations are you willing to hold up?

• Haha 1

15 hours ago, Andy Onchan said:

Probably not a lot of difference as some GPs in my practice openly admit to looking stuff up on Google!

They don't need to openly admit it. Few years ago I was having bouts of nausea around the same time mid-morning on most days. (Looking back it might have been when the Brexit thread was at its height). Made an appointment, went to see the GP and described the symptoms as above.

"That's odd," she said. "I wonder what it is." She promptly Googled "nausea mid morning", and we sat there in the consulting room looking at the results. Struck me that's a decent job for a 6 figure salary.

10 minutes ago, woolley said:

They don't need to openly admit it. Few years ago I was having bouts of nausea around the same time mid-morning on most days. (Looking back it might have been when the Brexit thread was at its height). Made an appointment, went to see the GP and described the symptoms as above.

"That's odd," she said. "I wonder what it is." She promptly Googled "nausea mid morning", and we sat there in the consulting room looking at the results. Struck me that's a decent job for a 6 figure salary.

I rest my case!