Your pension to be used to fund the NHS from 2024?

FANDL

43 minutes ago, cissolt said:

Manxcare would find a way to spend every penny given to them. Would you say DOI were underfunded when they want £20 million over?  

The difference is that Manxcare don't decide what services they have to provide. That's the DHSC mandate. 

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, wrighty said:

The difference is that Manxcare don't decide what services they have to provide. That's the DHSC mandate. 

Manxcare is an internal construct - it's all DHSC for the taxpayer.

No different to DOI overspending to maintain an unaffordable bus timetable, it's still an overspend that has to be accounted for elsewhere (reserves, tax rises, services reduction elsewhere), and if they can't fit the services within their agreed budget they should be reducing them.

20 minutes ago, Mercenary said:

if they can't fit the services within their agreed budget they should be reducing them.

Or looking at making economies that don't impact services, maybe.

42 minutes ago, Mercenary said:

Manxcare is an internal construct - it's all DHSC for the taxpayer.   No different to DOI overspending to maintain an unaffordable bus timetable, it's still an overspend that has to be accounted for elsewhere (reserves, tax rises, services reduction elsewhere), and if they can't fit the services within their agreed budget they should be reducing them

In that case, you should be lobbying Hooper and the DHSC about which services should be reduced.  Both the service mandate and the money come from the DHSC - if there’s a mismatch, then they need to be held accountable.

Edited by Jarndyce

• 2 weeks later...

What in hell happened to the fiscal management of this island ? I remember when we were awash with cash, I believe it was the teflon Don who famously said he would rather deal with the problems of success !

I guess years of poor decisions in almost every area, culminate in young people leaving or not being attracted in the first place. We came here when young, paid our dues over many years, and now ageing, find ourselves one of the many personas non grata. 

The young people issue should have been top of the agenda for many years. We are known as business unfriendly, planning is at best obstructive and damaging to development, and red tape is just a joke !

Rafts of people are seemingly employed to make life as difficult as possible.

It may be that Government are going to have to make some unpalatable decisions, but I suggest they start by looking at what planning are obstructing , it seems to me planning could be a real growth driver, if they were instructed to ease off a little and appreciate that without business development we are going down the toilet !

We are good at inaction and hand wringing, little else !

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, asitis said:

What in hell happened to the fiscal management of this island ? I remember when we were awash with cash, I believe it was the teflon Don who famously said he would rather deal with the problems of success !

They are clearly concerned about this needing to go through as someone seems to have provided the narrative to IOM Today in order to write a detailed deflection story with supporting data (it’s all about protecting the fund!) That doesn’t happen that often as IOM Today is just lazy journalism. And no it isn’t about protecting anything it’s clearly about unlocking more of our ring fenced money for them to blow as free reserves are down to only £600M. 

• Like 1

Just now, Moghrey Mie said:

If the funds are running out we should be putting more in rather than taking out.

On the face of it I agree but it is what is being done with the available funds that is probably the issue !

We cannot as taxpayers support the size of Government, they must embrace this sooner or later !

• Thanks 2

48 minutes ago, Moghrey Mie said:

Didn't Robert Maxwell have an idea what to do with pension funds?

Understand that Dr Allinson was asked if he was going to be the Manx Robert Maxwell at a recent public meeting where this issue was raised. The whole slant of that story in IOM Today is misleading. What “protection” for the fund is being proposed to Tynwald? To protect the public if money is running down against liabilities surely you put in more money to shore things up not propose to take more money out and use it another purpose? And yet they run with “protect” as a headline. The story has clearly been compiled by Treasury in order for the “journalist” to approach the report from the perspective they want. But the subtext is clear - they intend to divert more money away from potentially paying the state pensions of people who have worked all their lives and give more of that money to Manx Care as part of the proposed “NHS levy” which is due to be announced in the next budget. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

5 hours ago, asitis said:

I guess years of poor decisions in almost every area, culminate in young people leaving or not being attracted in the first place. We came here when young, paid our dues over many years, and now ageing, find ourselves one of the many personas non grata. 

The young people issue should have been top of the agenda for many years. We are known as business unfriendly, planning is at best obstructive and damaging to development, and red tape is just a joke !

Rafts of people are seemingly employed to make life as difficult as possible.

It may be that Government are going to have to make some unpalatable decisions, but I suggest they start by looking at what planning are obstructing , it seems to me planning could be a real growth driver, if they were instructed to ease off a little and appreciate that without business development we are going down the toilet !

We are good at inaction and hand wringing, little else !

Covid which cost c£300m in payments to civil servants, hotels etc etc. rampant inflation, too large a public sector, too many old people utilizing health services,insufficient workers paying tax etc etc

• Like 1