Scuttlebutt is.... who's possibly looking to sell/buy the Manxman?

HelmutX

6 minutes ago, monasqueen said:

So they'll be happy to see her getting blown into walls and linkspans for the next, say, 30 years?

Not happening this side of MHK ‘s elections in two years time in my opinion. Not saying it’s right to keep it but seriously don’t think anyone has the balls to get rid and bite the bullet . Time will tell. Ceartainly not acceptable the seemingly constant cancellations. See there currently tonight’s sailing is very doubtful too.

• Like 1

You cant just "get rid". The Ben is over 25 years old now and is going to suffer more and more technical problems due to age.

If they were going to "get rid" they'd need something else in place to take over. It's just not going to happen.

As mentioned previously, one of the questions in their survey was asking what the public thought about sailing Manxman to Liverpool year round. I recon the long to plan is Manxman to Liverpool and something smaller to Heysham (whatever that is)

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, swoopy2110 said:

You cant just "get rid". The Ben is over 25 years old now and is going to suffer more and more technical problems due to age.

If they were going to "get rid" they'd need something else in place to take over. It's just not going to happen.

As mentioned previously, one of the questions in their survey was asking what the public thought about sailing Manxman to Liverpool year round. I recon the long to plan is Manxman to Liverpool and something smaller to Heysham (whatever that is)

I suspect she will develop a 'fault' during the windier part of winter and the ben comes in for a considerable period.

We never did hear what happened with the vibration report..

44 minutes ago, swoopy2110 said:

if they are going to get rid of the Manxman (IF) now is the time to get the Ben into Lairds for a major refit and service to her engines. no reason why the ben could not go on for many years yet but she would need the refit.  Condor bought the Islander a close sister to the Ben) brought her home at very reduced speed straight in to dock for a major refit, she has been totally reliable since. she had her scrubbers fitted at the same time, the Ben still needs that work as far as I know, to sort her emissions.  CalMac are retiring the Hebridean Isles in November after 38 years service, they still have the Isle of Arran at 40 years old and presently in for refit ready for another year.  so at 25 the ben will soldier on with some looking after. It was folly to go to Hyundai in South Korea,  I think the Laird wanted to build the new boat, nothing better when you have a problem than the builder being 75 miles away. 

Jim Sherwood said the Ben would do for the next 25 years, that was not a use by date.  the Seacats had a lifespan of 15 years, still a few of the 74Mtr cats running.  

Edited by Manxman2000
  • Like 1

23 minutes ago, cissolt said:

I suspect she will develop a 'fault' during the windier part of winter and the ben comes in for a considerable period.

The vibration is due to shallow depth in the Heysham channel, so I'm told. It doesn't happen 'at sea', at least I've never witnessed that happening when I've been on her and I haven't heard or read anyone saying that.

54 minutes ago, Numbnuts said:

Not happening this side of MHK ‘s elections in two years time in my opinion. Not saying it’s right to keep it but seriously don’t think anyone has the balls to get rid and bite the bullet . Time will tell. Ceartainly not acceptable the seemingly constant cancellations. See there currently tonight’s sailing is very doubtful too.

i'd actually have some respect for an MHK ( for the first time ever ) if they actually came out and admitted it has turned out to be a badly informed purchase and will amend the situation rather lie to us that it is all good ( unless the tide isn't suitable and the wind isn't suitable and its the wrong kind of water etc etc )

• Haha 2

31 minutes ago, cissolt said:

the Manxman hasn't even seen the new berth yet,   does she have Anzipod drive units underslung, could be good if the berth silts up as expected.  Its a bit of a waste using the Manxman just for Liverpool, she can't go to Dublin, and it looks like Heysham are not keen on her.  If the Packet are thinking of selling the Arrow its a bit late as North Link are looking for the replacement for the two sisters of the Arrow.  

48 minutes ago, Andy Onchan said:

The vibration is due to shallow depth in the Heysham channel, so I'm told. It doesn't happen 'at sea', at least I've never witnessed that happening when I've been on her and I haven't heard or read anyone saying that.

That would concur 100% with what I noted and posted in January this year.

1 hour ago, cissolt said:

I very much doubt it. It takes 12 hours to “ready” the Ben. Yesterday’s boat was cancelled. Today’s is cancelled. If it was as simple as it being to much for the Manxman, they could have scrambled the Ben. Unfortunately, the weather is predicted to be too much. All this lamenting over how reliable the Ben has been is rose tinted. Perhaps you don’t remember about 10-12 years ago when the Ben didn’t sail for 3-4 days in a row and it was reported that M&S “flew in” Christmas by air and saved the day. 

Bad weather happens. Unfortunately, so does health and safety