Scuttlebutt is.... who's possibly looking to sell/buy the Manxman?

HelmutX

1 hour ago, Andy Onchan said:

The vibration is due to shallow depth in the Heysham channel, so I'm told. It doesn't happen 'at sea', at least I've never witnessed that happening when I've been on her and I haven't heard or read anyone saying that.

I thought it said that the re-fit icluded mass dampers to quell the vibrations especially from the thrusters?

5 hours ago, Non-Believer said:

I personally think it's a fine boat but it is hobbled by the constraints of the ports it's obliged to use. We can modify Douglas to suit, Liverpool as yet is an unknown quantity and the chances of Peel investing in Heysham just to suit "our" boat are nil.

If we did sell it, what sort of loss would it realise over what was paid and what levels of embarrassment?

It’s a nice ship, has lots of nice features and facilities - but so does the Ben (if a little dated, but certainly usable). I have no issue with the Manannan, another vessel which does the job. 

2 hours ago, Numbnuts said:

To sell the Manxman would be a total admission of failure by all parties. Government , Steam Packet and any others involved. Not happening. You know our lot. Even if it’s justified. And it possibly is. Sad situation tbh.

Costly to the taxpayer, freight users, vehicle drivers and passengers. 

2 minutes ago, doc.fixit said:

I thought it said that the re-fit icluded mass dampers to quell the vibrations especially from the thrusters?

Very possibly for the thrusters but the Ben has vibration issues with the thrusters as well. If I understood what was said correctly there isn't a lot that can be done if it's running through shallow water. But maybe I misunderstood.

In my (fairly limited, admittedly) experience, the vibration is worst when the vessel is manoeuvring, and that would often coincide with areas of shallow water.

The problem is quite noticeable when speed is increased to something like what we were told the service speed was going to be (I.e. faster than Ben).

Basically, she can't go fast without shaking herself to pieces, so can't make up time if she's running a little bit late.

Her worst problem is windage, which is down to the designers not learning from past experience - this was why Monas Isle only lasted about 6 months in 1985. Again, this was much more noticeable in Heysham Port than elsewhere.

Whose head/s can we expect to see on spikes??

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, monasqueen said:

In my (fairly limited, admittedly) experience, the vibration is worst when the vessel is manoeuvring, and that would often coincide with areas of shallow water.

The problem is quite noticeable when speed is increased to something like what we were told the service speed was going to be (I.e. faster than Ben).

Basically, she can't go fast without shaking herself to pieces, so can't make up time if she's running a little bit late.

Her worst problem is windage, which is down to the designers not learning from past experience - this was why Monas Isle only lasted about 6 months in 1985. Again, this was much more noticeable in Heysham Port than elsewhere.

Whose head/s can we expect to see on spikes??

It’s traditional to say lessons will be learned, but as always, IOMSPco Management which includes those who had input into the design brief, wont be punished, and our politicos who stuck their beaks in and interfered, they will be left alone.

The Ben has lasted 25 years and there is still life in her, if tlc and regular maintenance carried out. Will the Manxman last 25 years?

• Thanks 1

Most of the people dissing the Manxman have probably never been on her and no intention of doing so.    She is a great boat.    Heysham is a dump only suitable for freight and has been problematic for years.   I have never known such high winds in August and September before it is usually October before the windy season arrives.    Whoever has started this rumour is idiotic probably the same person or people who are slating the Airport for not staying open to accommodate EasyJet who seem to think the world revolves around them and they can call the shots.   

• Like 7

17 minutes ago, Fred the shred said:

Whoever has started this rumour is idiotic probably the same person or people who are slating the Airport for not staying open to accommodate EasyJet who seem to think the world revolves around them and they can call the shots.   

The rumour has been doing the rounds for weeks it was inevitable that it would surface on a public forum eventually. Six more sailings cancelled today. It’s a nice boat but it appears to be largely ineffectual as a reliable conveyance for passengers, cars and freight on the route it was specifically built to service. But it is so green that it doesn’t seem to burn much fuel as it never seems to go anywhere. Maybe another operator can make it work on another route? 

Edited by FANDL
Full stop.