Sex Offenders

LooseChange

Jane Poole Wilson tells us the IOM Constabulary are made aware when sex offenders from the UK move here.  Apparently our constabulary will ordinarily apply for an order to be issued on-island so the protections in the UK order will apply on the Isle of Man - Police are notified of registered sex offenders moving to the Isle of Man | iomtoday.co.im

All well and good.  But there a potential issue with the legislation on the Isle of Man that means IOM offenders who breach those orders cannot be prosecuted for that breach - There could be no way to prosecute island sex offenders who breach orders | iomtoday.co.im

So if current IOM legislation doesn't provide for IOM sex offenders to be prosecuted for breaching their orders, applying for a UK order to be issued on the Isle of Man is basically pointless.  Does this mean UK sex offenders can move to the IOM and then avoid prosecution for breaching their orders here?  

Edited by LooseChange
Typo
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, LooseChange said:

Jane Poole Wilson tells us the IOM Constabulary are made aware when sex offenders from the UK move here.  Apparently our constabulary will ordinarily apply for an order to be issued on-island so the protections in the UK order will apply on the Isle of Man - Police are notified of registered sex offenders moving to the Isle of Man | iomtoday.co.im

All well and good.  But there a potential issue with the legislation on the Isle of Man that means IOM offenders who breach those orders cannot be prosecuted for that breach - There could be no way to prosecute island sex offenders who breach orders | iomtoday.co.im

So if current IOM legislation doesn't provide for IOM sex offenders to be prosecuted for breaching their orders, applying for a UK order to be issued on the Isle of Man is basically pointless.  Does this mean UK sex offenders can move to the IOM and then avoid prosecution for breaching their orders here?  

How are we going to grow our population to 100,000 if we can't import taxi drivers?

• Haha 2
  • Sad 1

You'd think there would be an organisation somewhere on the IoM who would stop convicted sex offenders from being welcomed by sports clubs on the Isle of Man where they could potentially have access to young people. There aren't enough safeguarding officers or safeguarding courses that will stop elderly sports officials who don't give a shit about "woke" policies like child protection from making sure their friends can still access kids because their conviction was because of "a disease". I'm appalled about the info I know about this and have no idea where I should send it.

Edited by Ivy

12 minutes ago, Ivy said:

You'd think there would be an organisation somewhere on the IoM who would stop convicted sex offenders from being welcomed by sports clubs on the Isle of Man where they could potentially have access to young people. There aren't enough safeguarding officers or safeguarding courses that will stop elderly sports officials who don't give a shit about "woke" policies like child protection from making sure their friends can still access kids because their conviction was because of "a disease". I'm appalled about the info I know about this and have no idea where I should send it.

Don't they have to have a DBS check? If not they should. 

Edited by Gladys
  • Like 4

7 minutes ago, thommo2010 said:

Yes they need to have a dbs check, I've recently started coaching kids in sport and had to have the check 

Unless fellow members of sports clubs are DBS checked then there are absolutely no requirements. You can have a convicted paedophile competing or being present as a member of the club and no-one, including the childs parents, would be the wiser. This has absolutely happened on the IoM and I really don't know what can be done unless all sports club members are DBS checked and then considered "OK" to attend on nights where kids are present or not.

4 minutes ago, Ivy said:

Unless fellow members of sports clubs are DBS checked then there are absolutely no requirements. You can have a convicted paedophile competing or being present as a member of the club and no-one, including the childs parents, would be the wiser. This has absolutely happened on the IoM and I really don't know what can be done unless all sports club members are DBS checked and then considered "OK" to attend on nights where kids are present or not.

You need to raise it with the club first.  If you don't get a satisfactory reply then raise it with the police.  Surely a convicted paedophile will have some restrictions on contact with children which could have been breached? 

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Ivy said:

If it's just someone competition no you don't need a DBS check, raise it with the club and if they have been convicted inform the police as they may have restrictions on associating with kids 

• Like 1