The Ft Feature

Gladys

After I heard about the four page special feature on the IOM, I bought the paper and have read about 50%, work, lunch breaks and family intervening. I couldn't read (properly) the whole feature but was really surprised to hear on MR on the way home this evening, that the main message was "IOM still trying to shrug off its shady tax haven status". As I say, I haven't read the whole feature yet, but I thought it was very balanced and, actually, very constructive for the IOM. Yes, it refered to the MEA, various political embarassments, but, on the whole, I thought it gave a very good light to the Island, bearing in mind the markets it would reach. Why, then, does MR choose to report the downside?

This was four pages of good quality reportage that money could not buy, so why home in on the negatives?

Those off the Island are probably doing a better job at selling than we are ourselves!

When I first read it I was also extremely impressed but it was then ruined when I was told that our Government had paid for the suplement.

I would like to know how much and if this is true????

Probably money well spent because the readership in the UK wouldnt treat it as an advertisement.

Maybe the Government are paying out £1000s for damage limitation, Im glad to see this in the FT but cant wait till the facts are printed about ongoing cases on the Island as well as one very large case(not ours or mea, new one) which is about to blow up and WILL be very costly for the Government in terms of money and reputation. For legal reasons our case can not got to print at this time but I can assure you that the whole story will be published by the broadsheet.

May have been paid for, but the FT reserves its editorial rights, hence it is a highly respected paper and anything published by it is taken as being without bias. For that reason, I doubt that it woudl be seen as an advertorial.

FCMR what new scandal is about to break?

In the interests of accuracy, I interviewed Jane Dellar, head of IOM Finance, on Mandate the morning the report came out, and Treasury Minister Allan Bell the day after (yesterday) and confirmed with both of them that the IOM Government hadn't paid for the supplement AT ALL. IOMG took a couple of ads within it - but the FT insist on COMPLETE editorial control and can't be bought.

Both guests agreed that it was a fine supplement, would reach half a million business people and corporate decision makers around the world, and that the very mention of recent problems here actually gave the whole thing more credibilty - 'warts and all'.

Manx Radio reported the publication extensively, and in a very positive manner - but it DOES say within it that the IOM is trying to shrug off its tax haven status, and it is therefore incumbent on us to reflect that.

In the interests of accuracy, I interviewed Jane Dellar, head of IOM Finance, on Mandate the morning the report came out, and Treasury Minister Allan Bell the day after (yesterday) and . . . .
blah blah blah

. . . . aye, an' you 'interviewed' Manx Radio's favourite interviewee from the Steam Packet this morning too. (My God, he's taken over the mantel of Marje for being on Manx Radio all the time hasn't he?) But it sounded more like it was Stu that was being interviewed. You've fairly met your match for the yap there boy!!! :)

ps I think Geoff Corkish is a nice bloke and he fairly sings a good tune, but he should be given his own slot on Manx Radio, he feels that at home there tallkin' about the business the Packet is doin'

In the interests of accuracy, I interviewed Jane Dellar, head of IOM Finance, on Mandate the morning the report came out, and Treasury Minister Allan Bell the day after (yesterday) and confirmed with both of them that the IOM Government hadn't paid for the supplement AT ALL. IOMG took a couple of ads within it - but the FT insist on COMPLETE editorial control and can't be bought.

Both guests agreed that it was a fine supplement, would reach half a million business people and corporate decision makers around the world, and that the very mention of recent problems here actually gave the whole thing more credibilty - 'warts and all'.

Manx Radio reported the publication extensively, and in a very positive manner - but it DOES say within it that the IOM is trying to shrug off its tax haven status, and it is therefore incumbent on us to reflect that.

Yes Stu, it was a very good feature and was "warts and all" (but not "warts and thats all"), but why did MR headline it in the evening Mandate as referring to the need for the IOM to shrug off its dodgy tax haven status, that was not the main thrust of the feature! I remember clearly as I was driving home and hearing that headline, and thought " Come on chaps, its a good report why take the downside for local consumption?" Even the TT got a good, but critical, write up.

I winge no more!

Even if Manx Radio took the most negative interpretation of the article possible, perhaps it is simply better to concentrate one's attention on what has still to be done, than to bask in celebration.

In my view, it's only natural that national news should concentrate on reported problems that require dealing with than risk fostering a sense of complacency or a 'things are good enough as they are' attitude in readers and listeners. This is especially the case in my view on the Isle of Man, where, thanks to the nature of most politicians being independent candidates, there is no one organized political group that can hold the government to account and criticise its actions. Since, judging by these forums, the newspapers aren't up to the job, that really only leaves Manx Radio in a position to do it.

Indeed the forums sometimes give the impression that the Island is split into two groups: One of which wants to see the newspapers regularly unearthing 'the dirt' and giving the government a good going over, and another that bitterly resents any implication whatsoever that the Island is anything less than a utopia wrought of bracken and slate.

Even if Manx Radio took the most negative interpretation of the article possible, perhaps it is simply better to concentrate one's attention on what has still to be done, than to bask in celebration.

In my view, it's only natural that national news should concentrate on reported problems that require dealing with than risk fostering a sense of complacency or a 'things are good enough as they are' attitude in readers and listeners. This is especially the case in my view on the Isle of Man, where, thanks to the nature of most politicians being independent candidates, there is no one organized political group that can hold the government to account and criticise its actions. Since, judging by these forums, the newspapers aren't up to the job, that really only leaves Manx Radio in a position to do it.

Indeed the forums sometimes give the impression that the Island is split into two groups: One of which wants to see the newspapers regularly unearthing 'the dirt' and giving the government a good going over, and another that bitterly resents any implication whatsoever that the Island is anything less than a utopia wrought of bracken and slate.

I take your point Vinnie, but you have to read that feature as though an outsider. We all know there are problems here, but too much introspection to the outside world is going to be very destructive. Would that feature be read with interest by an outsider? I think so. The IOM is trying to project itself to the outside world. Better to have a balanced report such as the FT report listing good and bad, as there is both, not concentrating solely on the bad. If we really want to project ourselves as incompetents and self servers then we might as well all pack up shop now and hand our keys over to the mortgage company!

the sunset photograph summed up the whole situation - something in decline and going down - why don't they use a sunrise photograph -i.e looking forward, something emerging, a new day dawning?? - perhaps the Govt PR people just don't know how to use symbolism ? so what are they paid for???

Archived