Two ‘historic’ IOM pubs for sale

Thefella

This perhaps shows how bad the hospitality industry here has got when we can’t even make a buck serving our own alcoholics in our own dive pubs and we have to sell up. 

https://www.iomtoday.co.im/news/two-historic-isle-of-man-pubs-on-the-market-726403

Although I’m not sure who would pay the best part of a million pounds to service the drunks who are in the Albert most of the day. It’s not like you would likely have much success in turning it into anything other than a hopeless dive pub. 

If the hospitality sector was booming as our politicos would certainly tell you, then these businesses/property wouldn’t be put on the market. I could see the Viking turned into a private home, and the Albert converted into luxury flats.

I envisage these properties being on the market for some time. 

2 hours ago, Thefella said:

This perhaps shows how bad the hospitality industry here has got when we can’t even make a buck serving our own alcoholics in our own dive pubs and we have to sell up. 

https://www.iomtoday.co.im/news/two-historic-isle-of-man-pubs-on-the-market-726403

Although I’m not sure who would pay the best part of a million pounds to service the drunks who are in the Albert most of the day. It’s not like you would likely have much success in turning it into anything other than a hopeless dive pub. 

Barred are we?

• Haha 3

You are aware that people retire sometimes?

• Like 2

I’ve not been in the Albert for some time. But when I have I’ve always received a friendly welcome from the staff and an acknowledging nod of the head from the locals. None of the clients seemed drunk, just happy in that environment.

You talk about servicing “our own alcoholics in our own dive pubs” Have you ever been in said establishment?  Yes it does have a different type of clientele from what I imagine you regard as more upmarket pubs. I’m quite happy in both.

Thank goodness there is room for a wide range of pubs, catering for all sorts of people. It would be a shame if we were to lose a public house like the Albert and the few left of that ilk.

• Like 9

3 hours ago, Thefella said:

Firstly, it's a well run pub owned by a very respected publican. Shows you have never set foot in the place. Secondly, Hospitality has just about fallen on its arse and all the government can do is put stumbling blocks in the way.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Passing Time said:

Firstly, it's a well run pub owned by a very respected publican. Shows you have never set foot in the place. Secondly, Hospitality has just about fallen on its arse and all the government can do is put stumbling blocks in the way.

Well respected publican or not I’m still not sure anyone would drop the best part of a million quid on a losers dump zone. 

The Albert is probably for sale in the hope that the bus station developer will snap it up to expand their footprint???

The Viking would appeal to someone who thinks, 'the Missus and I ', could do this better, now where can we get a backer!!!