Schofield ( Phillip)

The Voice of Reason

14 hours ago, HeliX said:

Consent that is compromised by gulfs in positions of power is not consent.

But how would you demonstrate that consent has been compromised? Or would you just assume it.? How big does the gulf have to be?

Imagine the scenario where an executive and his or her secretary  fall in love, they embark on a relationship and subsequently get married spending a happy lifetime together enjoying sexual relations throughout their “ journey “ 
Would you say there is no consent to that relationship?

Would you deny them their happiness because of the “gulf in the position of power?

Edited by The Voice of Reason
Small add to second para. Immaterial

16 hours ago, HeliX said:

Consent that is compromised by gulfs in positions of power is not consent.

Oh goodness I find this issue complex. Two people consent to do something but then someone else comes along and says no there wasn't consent due to a power relationship. 

How will people ever know that they aren't going to be accused of a serious issue if yes doesn't mean yes. Saying yes and then regretting it isn't rape. When will people ever know they have consent if this consent can be retrospectively removed. 

At some point people have to take responsibility for themselves. If the secretary consents to making the beast with two backs with the boss does some power discrepancy really mean yes doesn't mean yes?

Seems a recipe for disaster if you ask me. ... Oh modern workplace relationships!

I have multiple friends who have had office relationships and often with power differences. Bloody minefield nowadays. 

• Like 2

15 hours ago, Alanbellend said:

That’s not strictly trueto be honest. A 60 year old bloke shagging a 19 or 20 year old woman is still incredibly sad and worthy of ridicule. 

Why? Is a 20 year old man shagging a mid-50s woman also incredibly sad?

Schofield was mid-50s when this affair happened. The other bloke was early 20s. It's nobody's business but theirs. Age differences in relationships are very common whatever you think of it.

Chris Evans married Billie Piper when she was 18 and people barely gave it a whisper.

2 hours ago, Venus said:

Why? Is a 20 year old man shagging a mid-50s woman also incredibly sad?

Schofield was mid-50s when this affair happened. The other bloke was early 20s. It's nobody's business but theirs. Age differences in relationships are very common whatever you think of it.

Chris Evans married Billie Piper when she was 18 and people barely gave it a whisper.

Paul Daniels and Debbie Magee? 

Some may say that its the youngster taking advantage of the older. 

Kanye even wrote a great song about it (before he went mad).

image.jpeg.d36e22efbc7ce8e24b7ee2a5b22efb77.jpeg

3 hours ago, Chinahand said:

Oh goodness I find this issue complex. Two people consent to do something but then someone else comes along and says no there wasn't consent due to a power relationship. 

How will people ever know that they aren't going to be accused of a serious issue if yes doesn't mean yes. Saying yes and then regretting it isn't rape. When will people ever know they have consent if this consent can be retrospectively removed. 

At some point people have to take responsibility for themselves. If the secretary consents to making the beast with two backs with the boss does some power discrepancy really mean yes doesn't mean yes?

Seems a recipe for disaster if you ask me. ... Oh modern workplace relationships!

I have multiple friends who have had office relationships and often with power differences. Bloody minefield nowadays. 

I agree, it is complex. But getting a 15 year old a job then having an affair with them when they're 20 doesn't really pass the sniff test of "ok" in my view.

Oh certainly. But that wasn't what you said earlier. You said it wasn't consensual. He's been a fool and doesn't deserve to be paid millions to sit on a sofa on TV. And multiple millions of people can tut tut at his behaviour and say it isn't ok but that isn't the same as saying he's a rapist. 

A fool, a lusting middle aged sexual crisis but the law shouldn't be involved but when your the face of a brand don't be surprised if they sack you for bringing that brand into disrepute. 

The desire is there to go younger. It always is. There's a type, it happens far more than it should, you'll see them lose a few pounds or get a new haircut, next thing theyre after twinks. People are disgusting.

Also, Jenrick might be a little young to fit the type, but he's a prime prospect.

1 hour ago, Chinahand said:

Oh certainly. But that wasn't what you said earlier. You said it wasn't consensual. He's been a fool and doesn't deserve to be paid millions to sit on a sofa on TV. And multiple millions of people can tut tut at his behaviour and say it isn't ok but that isn't the same as saying he's a rapist. 

A fool, a lusting middle aged sexual crisis but the law shouldn't be involved but when your the face of a brand don't be surprised if they sack you for bringing that brand into disrepute. 

It's of course difficult to set a black and white rule for what are very grey situations, but the "right" thing to do if your position of power compromises any consent you can obtain is for one of you to resign. Again obviously not always feasible, but it would remove any doubt.

14 minutes ago, TheTeapot said:

Also, Jenrick might be a little young to fit the type, but he's a prime prospect.

Christ, talk about a lazy but pretty despicable character assassination.

Looks like a paedophile to me.

Do you really know anything about this man to justify such a horrific statement?

1 minute ago, Chinahand said:

Christ, talk about a lazy but pretty despicable character assassination.

Looks like a paedophile to me.

Do you really know anything about this man to justify such a horrific statement?

He's a man who seeks power, has recently lost a few pounds and has had a haircut. What else do you want? That's all the evidence right there. 

1 hour ago, TheTeapot said:

The desire is there to go younger. It always is. There's a type, it happens far more than it should, you'll see them lose a few pounds or get a new haircut, next thing theyre after twinks. People are disgusting.

What a twatish comment