Cost of teachers

Moghrey Mie

2 hours ago, Moghrey Mie said:

If x teachers work for y hours for five years how much will this cost?

Answers to the Department of Education, Sport and Culture.

No wonder departments go over budget.

https://www.three.fm/news/isle-of-man-news/education-department-doesnt-know-total-cost-of-supply-teachers/

I wonder if Manx Don’tCare use the same budgetary controls?

In fairness I don't think my employer could say how much was spent on agency workers.

The payments are accounted for but I think the Finance Team puts them in the accounts in some strange places.  What sounds like a simple report to run ends up being very convoluted. 

4 hours ago, Albert Tatlock said:

I wouldn't say that. If you can't even pass them yourself, how likely is it for the kids you're teaching to pass them?

You are aware that not all teachers have to teach A-levels in all subjects? I'd expect a teacher of Further Maths to have a degree in the subject, but a primary school teacher, probably not. 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Albert Tatlock said:

I wouldn't say that. If you can't even pass them yourself, how likely is it for the kids you're teaching to pass them?

I personally am aware of more than 1 teacher who have no A levels whatsoever but have got several hundred kids through A levels over the years.  Not all Level 3 qualifications are A levels.  If you don’t understand the system, how likely is it you’ll make a ridiculous comment?

7 hours ago, Mikimoto said:

Are teachers still the ones who got 2 EEs and ended up at Edge Hill?

Nah. Back in the 90's you only needed one 'E' to get into Edge Hill for anything as it wasn't a real university. The "degrees" were signed off by Lancaster University, in the same way that UCM degrees are signed off by Chester University now. A friend of mine re-sat their GCSE maths FIVE TIMES to get a C-grade so they could graduate with their degree in primary teaching from Edge Hill and get a job (a teaching job requires a 'C' in Maths and English). An Edge Hill degree in anything from the 1990's or 2000's isn't worth the paper it's written on. They'd have been better getting a trade and they'd be earning more money.

1 hour ago, Max Power said:

A friend of mine, recently retired teacher earns around £1,100 a week as a supply teacher. Admittedly no sick, pay, holidays and pension, but he already collects that too!

Nice work if you can get it!

• You can get it if you are a teacher. There is a shortage. 
  • Work is not guaranteed. They have zero hours contracts. 
  • Their rates are the same as teachers. 

1 hour ago, wrighty said:

You are aware that not all teachers have to teach A-levels in all subjects? I'd expect a teacher of Further Maths to have a degree in the subject, but a primary school teacher, probably not. 

Not in the subject no. However I believe you need a degree to become a teacher. That degree can be a degree in teaching or anything.

You need the subject degree (or similar) for secondary education. 

20 minutes ago, Ivy said:

Nah. Back in the 90's you only needed one 'E' to get into Edge Hill for anything as it wasn't a real university. The "degrees" were signed off by Lancaster University, in the same way that UCM degrees are signed off by Chester University now. A friend of mine re-sat their GCSE maths FIVE TIMES to get a C-grade so they could graduate with their degree in primary teaching from Edge Hill and get a job (a teaching job requires a 'C' in Maths and English). An Edge Hill degree in anything from the 1990's or 2000's isn't worth the paper it's written on. They'd have been better getting a trade and they'd be earning more money.

Choose a job you love, and you’ll never have to work a day in your life.

Confucius