Cost of teachers

Moghrey Mie

1 hour ago, Max Power said:

A friend of mine, recently retired teacher earns around £1,100 a week as a supply teacher. Admittedly no sick, pay, holidays and pension, but he already collects that too!

Nice work if you can get it!

Don't be that surprised it's just over the minimum teacher salary (and they also get the holidays, pension and sick in addition to this)

7 hours ago, Harry Lamb said:

Minimum CCC + 5 GCSE incl Eng & Math. Most of my best teachers only had a Cert Ed, but they'd been too busy fighting a war to pick up other qualifications.

I know what you mean. Far more years ago than I care to recall, I started teaching Science at a secondary school in Liverpool. By far the best teacher in the place, who could silence a school hall full of chattering scouse sub delinquents just by clearing his throat, had driven a tank off a landing craft onto Sword beach and, more or less, kept it going until he got to Berlin. One of my abiding memories of my brief time as a teacher was a newly appointed and freshly minted deputy headteacher attempting to tell Mr Ferguson that it was inappropriate for him to smoke his pipe whilst he was invigilating examinations.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, germann said:

Choose a job you love, and you’ll never have to work a day in your life.

Confucius 

There's actually no evidence he said or wrote that...it's based only on the modern interpretation of his ethics and the kind of thoughts he did write.

See me! 4/10 effort. Do more research!

1 hour ago, Moghrey Mie said:

I don't understand why the Department of Education, Sport and Culture cannot calculate how much they have spent on supply teachers.

And why would the Cabinet Office have the information?

Because Cabinet Office contains the people who run the payrolls and so they will have access to the total amounts.  You'd imagine that the information would be passed on to DESC (and individually to schools) and that either could tell you, but at the moment the whole civil service seems intent on not telling us what their employees earn, what they do and even how many of them there are.

My teacher connection (the born and bred one that failed to get a job here...) has just accepted a deputy head job at the tender age of 31 - So long IOM, your loss - seriously. 

The example lessons I remember were along the lines of, when doing creative writing imagine a box, put all of the things you connect with the subject in that box, pull one out at a time, describe that thing, the feel, the smell, the memory, the blah - ace! Another memorable one was a group task of making paper planes to teach about the recovery from the great depression (Ford, assembly line, growth, etc.), well received by the most challenging of students. Such a great teacher, one who genuinely cares about how the children in her care do. 

The Isle of Man could and should be a center of excellent education, we are small and do not have half the social problems the UK is faced with. The problem seems to be that no one cares how bad things are.