Clive Myrie’s £10k Manx Jaunt

Manx Bean

That's funny. I was only wondering yesterday how they had acquired him to chair the event. Presumed it was personal contact of Ralph Peake.

But worth it to hear him say, 'But you still haven't built a bloody wind farm!'

Edited by Moghrey Mie

51 minutes ago, cissolt said:

Who funds the charity though?  Paying 10k for a one off speaker seems extravagant 

It’s the going rate. You’d be astonished what TV ‘personalities’ earn for appearing at such events, or after dinner speaking. Even C-listers command frankly eye-watering sums. 

25 minutes ago, Vaaish said:

It’s the going rate. You’d be astonished what TV ‘personalities’ earn for appearing at such events, or after dinner speaking. Even C-listers command frankly eye-watering sums. 

He was not a speaker - he was chairing the meeting. No doubt there are people on this forum who are capable of chairing a meeting of that level.

So is it being suggested that the organisers paid for a "celebrity" to chair the meeting in the hope that it would attract a larger audience?

Until now I had not heard of this fellow - but I do live in Ramsey.

• Haha 2

3 minutes ago, Two-lane said:

He was not a speaker - he was chairing the meeting. No doubt there are people on this forum who are capable of chairing a meeting of that level.

So is it being suggested that the organisers paid for a "celebrity" to chair the meeting in the hope that it would attract a larger audience?

Until now I had not heard of this fellow - but I do live in Ramsey.

Regardless of the motive for using Mr Myrie, or the suitability of local individuals to chair the event, the sum paid to him isn’t surprising.

Clive Myrie is a presenter of the BBC TV news, is the ‘host’/question master on ‘Mastermind’, and (I think) presented the BBC coverage of the recent UK General Election. 

30 minutes ago, Vaaish said:

Regardless of the motive for using Mr Myrie, or the suitability of local individuals to chair the event, the sum paid to him isn’t surprising.

Clive Myrie is a presenter of the BBC TV news, is the ‘host’/question master on ‘Mastermind’, and (I think) presented the BBC coverage of the recent UK General Election. 

He's on £310,000-£315,000 a year.

Probably doesn't need the extra £10,000 for a day's work.

1 hour ago, Vaaish said:

If people are stupid enough to pay then they'll come...

Part of the ecologically efficient way of doing things should be to also minimise unnecessary energy use - and also unnecessary use of finances (which should be spent of necessary things).

So they fly someone over here just to chair a low-level meeting and pay him oodles to do so.

So you then respond with "Well, the aircraft was going that way, anyway...", and "It's a statement we had to make...".

But there is also the theory that people in a position to set a good example, should set a god example.

Of course, cash overrides everything. And rubbing shoulders with famous people. Anyone get any selfies with him?

So he is famous because he reads the news on BBC...?

• Like 1