Post office make staff redundant to pay for new Gas powered vehicles

Manxman1234

2 minutes ago, Manxman1234 said:

Apparently the post office are in the process of making staff redundant again, is this to pay for their new Gas powered vehicles? 

i thought the trumpets were saying leccy vehicles ???

1 minute ago, Tinpot said:

Electric vans are VERY cheap to purchase if you are getting a few.  Nowhere near the list price.

They are also very, very cheap to run and service.  We don’t have enough info to pass comment .

Also hugely expensive to insure and to repair. They also depreciate in value much quicker than conventional vehicles.

• Thanks 2

1 minute ago, Tinpot said:

Electric vans are VERY cheap to purchase if you are getting a few.  Nowhere near the list price.

They are also very, very cheap to run and service.  We don’t have enough info to pass comment .

Citroen Dispatch electric £40k

Citroen Dispatch diesel £20k

obviously if you buy a fleet they'll be cheaper but so will the normal diesel powered ones. Please explain why they are "very cheap"

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, A fool and his money..... said:

Also hugely expensive to insure and to repair. They also depreciate in value much quicker than conventional vehicles.

5 minutes ago, Dirty Buggane said:

And very expensive in parts and labour to fix. Thats if you can even source the spares.

2 minutes ago, Passing Time said:

Citroen Dispatch electric £40k

Citroen Dispatch diesel £20k

obviously if you buy a fleet they'll be cheaper but so will the normal diesel powered ones. Please explain why they are "very cheap"

Have the purchased them, or are they new to the fleet?

I admit I haven’t read the article but these are two very different options and one makes all of the points quoted above  irrelevant 

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

10 minutes ago, Tinpot said:

Have the purchased them, or are they new to the fleet?

I admit I haven’t read the article but these are two very different options and one makes all of the points quoted above  irrelevant 

So I just went and found the articles in the local news about this.

I see no mention of them buying the vehicles or being responsible for the maintenance.

If I was buying a new car or van now I would avoid electric for all the reasons quoted above.

If I was spending the money I had available for a fleet over the next few years in the most economical way possible, I would be leasing electric vehicles.  

Do any of you quoted above and who were so keen to express your opinion know for certain which option we are talking about here?

Edited by Tinpot

11 minutes ago, Tinpot said:

So I just went and found the articles in the local news about this.

I see no mention of them buying the vehicles or being responsible for the maintenance.

If I was buying a new car or van now I would avoid electric for all the reasons quoted above.

If I was spending the money I had available for a fleet over the next few years in the most economical way possible, I would be leasing electric vehicles.  

Do any of you quoted above and who were so keen to express your opinion know for certain which option we are talking about here?

Yes because leasing agents will just eat the extra purchase price, the much greater depreciation and the much bigger cost of repairs won't they? You really are very naive.

Not to mention the much more expensive insurance 

So much for Stu's pragmatic approach to net zero.

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, A fool and his money..... said:

Yes because leasing agents will just eat the extra purchase price, the much greater depreciation and the much bigger cost of repairs won't they? You really are very naive.

Not to mention the much more expensive insurance 

So much for Stu's pragmatic approach to net zero.

You think lease companies pay the greater purchase price for a vehicle that depreciates quickly, rather than the manufacturers being glad to offload them to them for a bargain price in bulk?

OK 🙄😂

• Confused 1