Post office make staff redundant to pay for new Gas powered vehicles

Manxman1234

4 minutes ago, Tinpot said:

You think lease companies pay the greater purchase price for a vehicle that depreciates quickly, rather than the manufacturers being glad to offload them to them for a bargain price in bulk?

OK 🙄😂

Also.  A lease company will only ever lease a vehicle that is under manufacturer warranty, and they don’t pay the insurance.

Apart from those minor details you are spot on 😂

• Confused 1

9 minutes ago, Tinpot said:

You think lease companies pay the greater purchase price for a vehicle that depreciates quickly, rather than the manufacturers being glad to offload them to them for a bargain price in bulk?

OK 🙄😂

Ah, the old "manufacturers are giving them away" defence.

Obviously leasing companies get a discount, but they are also highly profitable.

Not that you even know they are leased in the first place.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Tinpot said:

manufacturer warranty, and they don’t pay the insurance.

Apart from those minor details you are spot on 😂

I never said they did. Merely that the insurance is a lot more expensive than a conventional vehicle.

Although you've actually no idea whether these vehicles are leased or not, have you?

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, A fool and his money..... said:

Ah, the old "manufacturers are giving them away" defence.

Obviously leasing companies get a discount, but they are also highly profitable.

Not that you even know they are leased in the first place.

No I don’t know they are leased, I have already said that in my first post on the topic I think.

Do you know they aren’t?  I think I asked you that already.

2 minutes ago, A fool and his money..... said:

I never said they did. Merely that the insurance is a lot more expensive than a conventional vehicle.

Although you've actually no idea whether these vehicles are leased or not, have you?

56 minutes ago, Tinpot said:

Electric vans are VERY cheap to purchase if you are getting a few.  Nowhere near the list price.

They are also very, very cheap to run and service.  We don’t have enough info to pass comment .

45 minutes ago, Tinpot said:

Have the purchased them, or are they new to the fleet?

I admit I haven’t read the article but these are two very different options and one makes all of the points quoted above  irrelevant 

Blimey

1 minute ago, Tinpot said:

No I don’t know they are leased, I have already said that in my first post on the topic I think.

Do you know they aren’t?  I think I asked you that already.

No Idea. The point is it makes little difference, they're still a huge waste of money.

Especially when they're advertising for staff at below the living wage.

A bloody shambles.

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, A fool and his money..... said:

No Idea. The point is it makes little difference, they're still a huge waste of money.

Especially when they're advertising for staff at below the living wage.

A bloody shambles.

Why or how is it a waste of money if they  cost less to lease then the old ones cost to keep on the road with servicing and tyres, and they don’t use any fuel?

It could be a very clever and financially astute decision, but the truth is none of us have the necessary info to be passing comment.

I am doing a similar process at work at the moment and it is MUCH more cost effective for us to sell why we have and lease electric on full maintenance leases for three years and then reevaluate.  That is just where the market is at the moment 

Edited by Tinpot
  • Haha 2

8 minutes ago, A fool and his money..... said:

What do they run on then, magic?

I knew you would pick up on that when I typed it, because you don’t have a reply to anything else.

They run on electricity, which is cheaper than diesel and means even if they are a bit more to lease a month than the eq………

Nah I give up.  You will never it get no matter who explains it or how obvious it is.

8 minutes ago, Fred the shred said:

It is in the news ffs 13 of the buggers no doubt selling the newish ones they have to people who will enjoy using them for a good number of years for very little.   What a farce one minute skint next minute buying unnecessary new vans.    No words.

Have you read the thread or just the first post?

Its cost effective these days with a fleet to sell anything you own and lease electric replacements.

10 minutes ago, Fred the shred said:

I have read the thread and the piece in the news  and your idea of cost effectiveness  is pure bollocks.

Fair enough, you disagree.

Do you have recent experience pricing a fleet of vehicles or any actual counter arguments to what I have posted other than just “pure bollocks”? It would be interesting to hear them and probably further the discussion a bit more than your last post.

Thanks

Edited by Tinpot

The last intake of diesels (Peugeot/Vauxhall) must be 2 years old now. PO policy is now to drive into the ground from new with little or no servicing or repairs where applicable, budget for such was cut. Draw your own re. the economics.