Hooper has resigned

Fred the shred

And idiots will think that we will miraculously see a change in the island health provision.

The minister has no influence over anything, so anyone expecting to see any change as a result of this is going to be disappointed.

I am surprised he stuck it out for as long as he did.  They can’t achieve anything positive as a minister, but become the target of people’s dissatisfaction and risk their seat at the next election.

Maybe he will concentrate on his constituents now, and start brushing up on his accountancy skills which he will hopefully need to fall back on in a couple of years.

Edited by Tinpot
  • Like 3
  • Confused 1

Surely now would would be the ideal opportunity for him to make a stand, speak out and confirm what we all believe.

"Sorry, I can only bang my head against this particular wall for so long.  This particular (but all other) department is broken and the MHKs have no power."

I would have thought this would garner a lot more respect from the voters than anything else.

• Like 11

3 minutes ago, Roger Mexico said:

He may have done,  according to Tynwald twitter:

image.png.77553a9f672ebe540388471ed4596b87.png

Hope so.  Although is that the type of 'personal statement' he'll have as the intro on his CV? 

Sam Turton (who should immediately be put in charge of Hansard) has got the full speech on Manx News:

Three years ago, I accepted the role of Minister of Health and Social Care in this administration, and it’s been a privilege to serve in that capacity and proud of all that’s been accomplished in that time, despite significant pressures.

I believe that real and meaningful progress has been made to stabilize health and care services and improve the quality and safety of services on offer.

Fixing our health service was always going to be a long and difficult journey, one that needs steadfast commitment and a long term view. But sadly, this is not something I believe the chief minister is committed to.

I have therefore, just now, tended my resignation to the chief minister and will no longer serve in his government.

I felt it appropriate to answer questions from honourable members this morning, as members deserve answers to their questions at this critical time, and I did not want to abdicate my responsibilities to this honourable court.

Over recent weeks, it has become increasingly clear to me that the Chief Minister does not welcome my views and is not willing to listen to the views evidence presented to him, and that his views and mine over the future of the National Health Service are becoming increasingly diverged.

I am now convinced that it is his ultimate aim to try and privatise our health service, and that is not something I am able to support.

I have made my position on this exceptionally clear to council in recent weeks.

Last week, Council were asked to reconfirm their commitment to a free at the point of use National Health Service, and they would not make this commitment, Council were also presented with the context and likely impacts on patients of the healthcare cuts the chief minister is publicly calling for, in the hope that, having seen the potentially serious impacts, that they would change course.

Unfortunately, the high risk of patient harm that was clearly highlighted did not have any such effect. I cannot, in good conscience, continue to serve a chief minister who has set out to both publicly and privately, undermine my ability to do the job that is required, to undermine the ability of the Department of Health and the Manx care board to operate effectively, and who refuses to accept responsibility for the consequences of these decisions.

I hoped that it would not come to this, hon members, but it has become clear that I am no longer able to affect change from within the Council of Ministers, and as I fundamentally disagree with the course of action that I believe has been decided upon, I have no option but to resign.

I would like to take this final opportunity to thank all of those whose hard work has made such a difference over the last three years, departmental members, officers and staff in the department and Manx Care and the board of Manx Care and to apologise to the people of this island for not being able to change this governance course from within, resigning is the only card I have left to play.

Edited by Roger Mexico
Add full speech
  • Thanks 6

1 hour ago, Roger Mexico said:

I have therefore, just now, tended my resignation to the chief minister and will no longer serve in his government.

Oh he has grown a pair then.  Also, fully quit as an MHK?  I thought it was just as Health Minister!

Edited by The Phantom
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

Just now, The Phantom said:

He doesn't appear to be anymore. 

You've misunderstood.  He's only resigned as a Minister and said he wouldn't take any other positions under Cannan.  If he was resigning as an MHK he would be submitting his resignation to the President or the Governor not to the Chief Minister.

The question now is how long Cannan can last.

• Like 4
  • Sad 1