Hooper has resigned

Fred the shred

17 minutes ago, wrighty said:

Yes, but I don't need permission from the head of the GMC each operation I do, and if he or she steps down I don't have to stop operating until a replacement is appointed. 
If it's just 'legal reasons' that there has to be a minister, then presumably they could be changed?

Oh indeed, as I said above.  The point is there has to be something in terms of a legal framework and what there is is a Minister.  And there also will need to be some sort of cover when there isn't - I suspect it reverts to the LG without a single legal entity.  The buck has to stop somewhere.  Your professional examples will be similar, there will be a deputy or whoever to whom the powers will temporarily pass.

(Whether they actually follow the rules and whether they have got the legal bits all correct is another matter.  But the principle is that).

• Like 2

I think Tynwald today showed who is really in charge of the procedures in Tynwald Court. Mr Juan Watterson end of. Mr Cannan was shot down really quickly by the Speaker, he didn't ever have to say interjection, he just shouted out.  Mr Cannan was stopped, but Mrs Haywood was allowed to make accusations against Members and the C.M. without anyone stopping her. Something is so wrong in our Tynwald Parliament.  Mr Thomas asked the President, why he wasn't allowed to make a speech in Tynwald like Mr Hooper after he was sacked, but  I don't recall any other removed Minister being given this courtesy.No answer for the President.

Edited by Holte End

11 hours ago, wrighty said:

Why? Genuine question. 

What happens if there is no DHSC minister? Does the hospital have to close its doors? Do the GP surgeries turn off their phones? Do the IT systems not allow you to log in? What if there was no DHSC, no minister, and just a treasury sub-committee to determine health funding to be given to Manx Care each year. Would it be a whole lot worse than now? 

All the more reason to appoint Rob Callister, what difference would he make?

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Babydoc said:

So, essentially you agree with the IOMMS on this. Good.

7. Removal of redundant structures:

Once the above measures are implemented, the Transformation Board and a vast majority of the current DHSC can be disbanded, leading to significant cost savings and efficient functioning, particularly if the CQC can be engaged to regulate healthcare on the island and can be granted statutory status. Most of DHSC’s functions can be undertaken by the cabinet office or allocated to Manx Care. Consideration should be given to the creation of an independent Health & Care Quality Commission which could regulate Health and Care on the island in partnership with the CQC in England or Healthcare Improvement Scotland and also replace HSCC (Health Services Consultative Committee) on the island. The PCN can be safely disbanded and the funding redirected towards recruiting more GPs. ThePublic Health Department should be adequately staffed and remain with the Cabinet Office and should fulfil the pillars of public health: Surveillance and epidemiology, Environmental health, Health promotion and disease prevention, public health policy and guidance, Health equity and social determinants of health and Diverse partnerships and innovation.IOMMS Reform Proposals

CQC is so poor it's about to go, but otherwise you're making valid points.

3 minutes ago, Auntie Depressant said:

CM Cannan openly accusing Laurie Hooper of ‘gaslighting’ in Tynwald this morning. He’s losing it. 

I’m sure a vote of no confidence is coming, how many enemies can he make without one?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Jarndyce said:

Indeed.   Begs the question why the proposed savings cuts are in front line services…

Because all the people on huge salaries are in control and want to keep their huge salaries, even if they very well know that most of them are doing unnecessary non-jobs. It would take political will and competence to cut through this rot, but MHLs are too scared not to get re-elected if they start cutting the way they should do.

• Like 6

3 minutes ago, Fred the shred said:

What a cheek Alfy has been gaslighting since he was made CM the best thing that could happen now is Alfy going into the great blue yonder instead of Rob on a one way ticket his work is done here.

He’s showing his true colours this morning with scathing attempts at sarcasm dialled up to warp 10. Been warned but he’s in full vindictive flow. Not statesmanlike in the slightest. 

• Like 1

Just now, Auntie Depressant said:

He’s showing his true colours this morning with scathing attempts at sarcasm dialled up to warp 10. Been warned but he’s in full vindictive flow. Not statesmanlike in the slightest. 

Verging on a tantrum I thought..maybe the realisation his days are numbered is dawning on him?

I think Alf should call Manx Care's bluff, just give them the money, actually sod it, overfund them, give them an extra 100mil for the next 2 years, if they still fail to deliver service or dramatically improve then that's the green light to bring out the axe and start chopping

• Haha 2

4 hours ago, Ringy Rose said:

Cannan’s attitude is that there’s the budget and it’s up to them to cut services to fit it. But at the same time he forced them to hand hugely expensive contracts to private providers to offer over-priced video consultancies to “reduce waiting lists”. The total cost of the waiting list reduction scheme- most of which went to private providers- was £18m. This is more than the “overspend”.

There’s a new private pharmacy called Kingsley Muti which is spending a fortune on advertising, saying that they’ve got Manx Care contracts for minor ailments. I imagine they do, and I can’t help but wonder how much they’re being paid given their advertising spend, and who made Manx Care offer that contract?

Cannan never seems to stop and reflect on his own behaviour. He was instrumental in creating Manx Care, he was the one pushing it all along when the rest of us were saying it only makes sense if you want to privatise it. I think that’s his end game: make it so shit that privatisation becomes the solution.

Of course privatisation or a health insurance model doesn’t make the service any cheaper to the end user- I either pay in tax or I pay in health insurance premiums- but for someone as brainlessly Thatcherite as Cannan “low tax” trumps everything. If I’m  paying 20% of my income in health insurance premiums instead of tax he thinks that’s a win. The mind boggles.

Equally what about those who do not pay income tax as they don't earn enough?