Hooper has resigned

Fred the shred

3 hours ago, Derek Flint said:

The whole issue with overspend / under-funding has been ongoing as long as I can remember. It's one or the other, but the approach has always been that it is the former. What if it isn't.

And what about 'Manx solutions for Manx problems'? What if privatising IS the solution? There's some system-based stuff I'd look at taking on (eg outsource vehicle licensing stuff to DVLA) but sometimes there's a tendency to shoehorn the ways of the east into a totally different set of needs.

The tiny scale of the island should be it's super-power. Apply systems thinking, join up, take a public-health approach where agencies either statutorily or operationally intersect. Be more collegiate. 

Change really is needed, and fast I'd say.

The DVLA cannot manage their own workload, I applied for an exchange licence from IOM to Northern Ireland I sent in my application and necessary paperwork on 31 July and still have not received it as yet despite several phone callls to the number supplied the response was they do everything via the date received and havent started July yet as there is a backlog, incidently when I ran the number advertised the foriegn lady who answered was unable to hear me as her child was crying in the background when the child was given a dummy and went quiet she informed me that she was unable to answer my query and ended up ringing another number and still no sign of my licence. I had reason to ring the Test centre IOM and got the information I required sent to me 2 days later and were very helpful.

31 minutes ago, Amadeus said:
1 hour ago, Jarndyce said:

Indeed.   Begs the question why the proposed savings cuts are in front line services…

Because all the people on huge salaries are in control and want to keep their huge salaries, even if they very well know that most of them are doing unnecessary non-jobs

Well, quite: not big on irony, are you?

57 minutes ago, Holte End said:

I think Tynwald today showed who is really in charge of the procedures in Tynwald Court. Mr Juan Watterson end of. Mr Cannan was shot down really quickly by the Speaker, he didn't ever have to say interjection, he just shouted out.  Mr Cannan was stopped, but Mrs Haywood was allowed to make accusations against Members and the C.M. without anyone stopping her. Something is so wrong in our Tynwald Parliament.  Mr Thomas asked the President, why he wasn't allowed to make a speech in Tynwald like Mr Hooper after he was sacked, but  I don't recall any other removed Minister being given this courtesy.No answer for the President.

Actually, listening to the audio in the Manx Radio piece it showed how useless Skelly is that Watterson was forced to remind him how to do the most basic part of his job.   Personal attacks on other Tynwald members aren't allowed at any time, to do so when the target isn't there to respond, just adds a level of cowardice.  But even then Skelly allowed Cannan to continue his attack on Hooper (probably because he'd written it out and was too dumb to edit it as he went along).

Haywood didn't really accuse anyone as far as I could tell (again from the MR clip), she just seemed shell-shocked by Cannan's weird behaviour and his accusations.

Fred is probably right that the convention is that Ministers can make a statement is they resign but not if they are sacked[1], but it's instructive that Skelly clearly had no idea of this.

[1]  It's a silly convention and based on the fiction that no one is ever sacked, they just resign conveniently.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Roger Mexico said:

Actually, listening to the audio in the Manx Radio piece it showed how useless Skelly is that Watterson was forced to remind him how to do the most basic part of his job.   Personal attacks on other Tynwald members aren't allowed at any time, to do so when the target isn't there to respond, just adds a level of cowardice.  But even then Skelly allowed Cannan to continue his attack on Hooper (probably because he'd written it out and was too dumb to edit it as he went along).

Haywood didn't really accuse anyone as far as I could tell (again from the MR clip), she just seemed shell-shocked by Cannan's weird behaviour and his accusations.

Fred is probably right that the convention is that Ministers can make a statement is they resign but not if they are sacked[1], but it's instructive that Skelly clearly had no idea of this.

[1]  It's a silly convention and based on the fiction that no one is ever sacked, they just resign conveniently.

Interesting piece from Alf Cannan.  Was he suggesting that Manxcare and lawrie were withholding information from comin? 

4 hours ago, Amadeus said:

A tiny island needs a tiny government. Not this self serving monster that has been created over the years.

..............but who is going to do that?  The independent MHK system is past its sell-by date.  It's all very well 'prospective MHK' saying in their back-of-fag-packet manifesto shoved through your letter-box that they are going to get the dog poo cleared up in Peel  but what about the substantive issues that face the Island?

The time is due for party politics here.  We need  'party leaders' to put forward full manifestos before elections stating exactly what their policies if elected would be and 'the people' would cast their voted accordingly.  We cannot have a bunch of wanabees being appointed, many of whom were total nobodies, suddenly being given power (only curtailed by the uncivil service) affecting almost every aspect of our lives.

In this thread there has now been mention of 'privatisation' - was that on any MHK's agenda at the last general election? The latest brainfart from the eco-loons is the banning of 'fossil fuelled' (whatever that means) heating wef next January.  Was that in anyone's 'manifesto' ?  No, it is a CS driven policy, aided by the few eco-loon MHKs, that is being foisted on us and who of us voted for that?

This parish council, for that is as grand an accolade as this shambles in Douglas deserve, needs ousting, as does the whole anachronistic system we are governed under.

Edited by Utah 01
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, Roger Mexico said:

Skelly…useless..?? How very dare you. Far too kind. He’s a witless incompetent who doubtless needs a daily reminder to unzip before he pees.

Just read this on IOMN website (apologies if I’m late to this particular party).

https://www.iomtoday.co.im/news/hooper-knew-back-in-april-that-manx-cares-finances-were-out-of-control-730848

If Cannan is to be believed, and this info. (from April!) about external identification of major financial planning/governance defects at Manx Care is accurate, I’d argue that it’s game over for the Chair of the Manx Care Board, and the CEO. 

• Like 1

https://www.iomtoday.co.im/news/hooper-knew-back-in-april-that-manx-cares-finances-were-out-of-control-730848

"Mr Cannan released a copy of an audit report produced for the Department of Health and Social Care in April which reveals a lack of financial oversight and planning."

"‘Instead of telling us this, instead of releasing that report, ..."

It did not take Cannan very long to locate this document that he claims he knew nothing about.

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, Roger Mexico said:

Except Thomas stood down.

Juan Watterson was not force to intervene, he should have said the little magic words he insists on in Keys, why should anyone follow protocols in Keys, if he doesn't in Tynwald.

As soon as Hansard out you will be able to see what Mrs Haywood said, So sometime in the new year.