Where to post?

The Phantom

39 minutes ago, Gladys said:

Well, the ministerial roundabout hasn't helped in getting a grip of issues.  The drive for an increased population has, possibly, led to corners being cut and, as we have seen, many decisions made now have consequences far down the line. 

Only now is any kind of action been taken in PS recruitment, something that has been festering for years.  

Where confidence has been lost, for me, is the failure to, generally, get a grip.  Paul Moulton posted a very old interview with Alf where he was calling for greater control and accountability in government, now he has the reins, what has he done to further those old ambitions?  We had high hopes with the clear out following Ranson, but it stopped.

If you are leading, you cannot continually blame your predecessors for the mess you have now, you have to deal with the mess. 

It's certainly not for me to comment on your Government, but as an outsider looking in it occurs to me that you might have too much of it. I often have to remind myself that you're not the size of a old style county in the UK. Is it possible you have so much government, operating on so many levels, that it can't but fall over itself?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 5

Just now, Expat. said:

It's certainly not for me to comment on your Government, but as an outsider looking in it occurs to me that you might have too much of it. I often have to remind myself that you're not the size of a old style county in the UK. Is it possible you have so much government, operating on so many levels, that it can't but fall over itself?

That has been said many times.  We are not even the size of a reasonable sized town, let alone a county, no matter how old style.  But national identity hubris has prevented this being properly looked at. 

As a nation (not by UN criteria, I grant you), there are things that we have to have, Treasury, judiciary, Home Affairs, education, health,  etc. that  a town council won't have.  But do we really need all the other stuff like DofE and the multitude of what seem to be duplicated roles across government. 

Said it before, but government needs to focus inwardly.  Leave the big boy stuff to the big boys and focus on doing what is necessary for our population well.  Leave the economic engineering alone, we have little control on wider economic influences, just make sure government can watch and respond.  Be responsive not proactive on that front as it never seems to actually work out well. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 5

Oh, and just to add, our identity is not defined by our 18th or 19th century, or even earlier,  society.  Great, if people want to participate in keeping those things alive, but they are not unique to the IOM.

Every place has its history.  Cherish it, preserve it, be proud of it and facilitate it by all means, but don’t be bound by, or a slave to it. 

There, a pebble dropped. 

• Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, Gladys said:

Oh, and just to add, our identity is not defined by our 18th or 19th century, or even earlier,  society.  Great, if people want to participate in keeping those things alive, but they are not unique to the IOM.

Every place has its history.  Cherish it, preserve it, be proud of it and facilitate it by all means, but don’t be bound by, or a slave to it. 

There, a pebble dropped. 

No ripples on my pond…you’re absolutely correct.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Gladys said:

That has been said many times.  We are not even the size of a reasonable sized town, let alone a county, no matter how old style.  But national identity hubris has prevented this being properly looked at. 

As a nation (not by UN criteria, I grant you), there are things that we have to have, Treasury, judiciary, Home Affairs, education, health,  etc. that  a town council won't have.  But do we really need all the other stuff like DofE and the multitude of what seem to be duplicated roles across government. 

Said it before, but government needs to focus inwardly.  Leave the big boy stuff to the big boys and focus on doing what is necessary for our population well.  Leave the economic engineering alone, we have little control on wider economic influences, just make sure government can watch and respond.  Be responsive not proactive on that front as it never seems to actually work out well. 

Some are rather reluctant to let go of the mantra that, "We are a player on the world stage".

Probably because there's rather a lot of very lucrative employment still dangling from that particular hook.

1 minute ago, Non-Believer said:

Some are rather reluctant to let go of the mantra that, "We are a player on the world stage".

Probably because there's rather a lot of very lucrative employment still dangling from that particular hook.

Is there, really? I mean, in reality, a big dose of which seems to be missing. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Gladys said:

Is there, really? I mean, in reality, a big dose of which seems to be missing. 

Am I right in thinking that we've still got our "influencer" in Brussels that we're paying for, even though UK has departed the EU?

5 hours ago, The Phantom said:

I know we bash the Govt quite a bit.  But now it seems everything is merging into one and all the incompetence is cross pollinating. 

Alf's Plan = People Trafficing = shortage of funds = Manx Care = Crogga = windfarm = firm closing = hospitality

It's all so interwoven into general incompetence that I'm struggling to determine where to post stuff now. 

It's like some sort of fever dream.

Alf’s plan is fine. People trafficking isn’t a Manx-made problem. Shortage of funds is trying to keep us low tax competitive against increased costs. Is Manx Care underfunded or does it overspend? Crogga needs to work (and I hope it does) in a highly regulated sector and we have to make sure the legislation and licensing is right so they don’t set fire to the Irish Sea. Windfarm is inevitable and in some ways to be welcomed. Firms close all the time. Hospitality is a victim of a number of factors. None of the ills you cite show incompetence by government. It’s just that we’re living in interesting times.

• Confused 1

7 minutes ago, Stu Peters said:

Alf’s plan is fine. People trafficking isn’t a Manx-made problem. Shortage of funds is trying to keep us low tax competitive against increased costs. Is Manx Care underfunded or does it overspend? Crogga needs to work (and I hope it does) in a highly regulated sector and we have to make sure the legislation and licensing is right so they don’t set fire to the Irish Sea. Windfarm is inevitable and in some ways to be welcomed. Firms close all the time. Hospitality is a victim of a number of factors. None of the ills you cite show incompetence by government. It’s just that we’re living in interesting times.

Bollocks

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Stu Peters said:

Is your next Dept CABO Comms Stu, because you've got all the spin aptitude needed?

The conditions that allowed people trafficking to flourish here were certainly Manx made though  weren't they?

Can you elaborate a little more on the "increased costs" please it's certainly something that we're all feeling but maybe you can shine some new light on the sources? Even the reasons why there's a "shortage of funds" given that almost everybody's had a recent 2% tax hike and considerable increases in charges across the board in the last 3 years.

While you're at it, could you also list the "number of factors" that are killing hospitality, especially given yesterday's release of the downturn in visitor figures compared to the previous three years that DfE previously claimed not to have figures for?

• Like 1

Sorry Stu but....

People trafficking here is/was Manx made; the UN report is not glowing.  And if it (the gulag)  all came to fruition, could have been on an industrial scale. Did MHKs get any advance warning of that report and given an opportunity to debate it? 

Whether Manx Care is under funded or over spending is for those overseeing it to establish. That is where that question needs to be aimed. 

We do live in interesting times, but is that a reason to shrug?