E-coli In The Water.

staaue

What the hell is going on here :o:o:o

Just read this on the Manx radio website.

The Department of Health is advising residents not to swim from Douglas beach after tests revealed high levels of E-Coli in the water.

Douglas Corporation says the problem is being taken very seriously and public warning notices may be set up.

Tests showed levels of E-coli entering the water from the Creamery's whey pipeline were a hundred times higher than the European Union's recommended limit.

But Chief Executive of Isle of Man Creameries, Findlay Macleod, insists the whey leaving the Creamery is clear of contamination and the problem is arising within the pipeline.

He also says there is no question of any contamination to food products (audio file attached):

Public Health Consultant Dr Paul Emerson is warning people to stay away from the beach (audio file attached):

(Picture: Douglas beach, from www.manxscenes.com).

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yes Staaue, I heard that with some concern this evening.

There is absolutely no danger of me going swimming, but what is the contamination on the beach, what about our children scurrying amongst the rock pools at low tide, what about our dogs picking this bug up and contaminating our families? (Yes, I know this will open up a whole new area re dogs, but I pick up after my dogs and no one else really uses the beach other than for a place to walk the dog and the kids.)

When the whey pipeline was built all the hype was that there would be a nil environmental effect (hard to sa,y really, when you see the plume of cloudy water from the outfall, either something is feeding from it or it is killling something), but it would appear not.

I think a very quick response is needed from environmental health dept. is needed!

from http://www.about-ecoli.com/

What is E. coli?

Although E. coli has been often in the news as a foodborne pathogen, the vast majority of E. coli strains are harmless, including those commonly used by scientists in genetics laboratories. E. coli is found in the family of bacteria named Enterobacteriaceae, which is informally referred to as the enteric bacteria. Other enteric bacteria are the Salmonella bacteria (also a very large family, with many different members), Klebsiella pneumoniae, and Shigella, which many researchers consider to be part of the E. coli family.

E. coli bacteria were discovered in the human colon in 1885 by German bacteriologist Theodor Escherich. Dr. Escherich also showed that certain strains of the bacteria were responsible for infant diarrhea and gastroenteritis - an important public health discovery. Although the bacteria were initially called Bacterium coli, the name was later changed to Escherichia coli to honor its discoverer.

Soon after its discovery, E. coli became a very popular lab organism because scientists could grow it quickly on both simple and complex mediums. E. coli can grow in air, using oxygen as a terminal electron acceptor (aerobically) or without air, by what is called fermentative metabolism (aerobically). The ability to grow both aerobically and anaerobically classifies the E. coli bacteria as a facultative anaerobe.

I'm more concerned about the high levels of sodium and chloride found in the water in Douglas bay. Just 100ml of water has 10 times the daily safe level of NaCl. Just think for a minute - in world war one they gassed people with Chlorine gas. Mustard gas they called it. Its a lethal chemical and it is present in significant quantities in Douglas Bay !!!!

I think notices should be put up warning people about the high sodium and chlorine levels. Its a risk that we all take and all though the government is aware of it they just sit back and ignore it hoping it will go away. Is someone taking backhanders rather than warning us. I think we should be told the truth !

Write to your MHK and point out that its an election year shortly and unless he does something about it you are not going to vote for them.

Vote No Sodium and Chlorine in Douglas bay !

Overly salty water eh? Something about the currents keeping it in the bay, or overly erroded rocks. Mind you, we could complain about the dead sea aswell!

I reckon something probably got into the Pipeline via a maintainance point, or maybe a dog managed to poo in the system when it was under construction and the microbes multiplied on the oxygen and the whey.........

Overly salty water eh? Something about the currents keeping it in the bay, or overly erroded rocks. Mind you, we could complain about the dead sea aswell!

I reckon something probably got into the Pipeline via a maintainance point, or maybe a dog managed to poo in the system when it was under construction and the microbes multiplied on the oxygen and the whey.........

I don't think it's that simple. There's an association between sweet whey products (a potent pollutant), e coli (a fecal indicator) and staphlococus aurius. Not all e coli bacteria are harmful but some certainly are as we're seeing in the outbreak across which has just claimed a youngsters life. Environmental health should state what strain of e coli this is and state whether dangerous or not.

I've not put my dogs into the water in Douglas Beach for many a year after being told not to by the Vet.

I used to put the dogs in the sea as, imo, it is good for their coat and gives them a good skin condition. However after my dogs having stomach probs at the same time, I took them to the vet and that is what I was told. But this was when it was only , shoite, tampons, used condoms and the like being washed BACK up.

But then I'm not supprised due to the fact the the Government was warned about the Tidel Turnover when the new breakwater was built. But they ignored it.

So the fact we have an unsafe beach which you shouldn't even let your dog on is up to the Government to hold it's hand up and say the ones in the past ballssed up.

Then sort it out, imo.

Also, I think they use a strain of e coli to ferment the whey to reduce the lactose. In which case they would know what it is already. At any rate I don't think the link between e coli and whey is from some external source, if it were that would be even more alarming, so a clear explanation as to the practices at the dairy needs to be forthcoming pretty sharpish.

Spot on Mr Woo, I'm also curious to know what strain of coli we are dealing with; though something tells me we are looking at a 'not good' variety.

There must be a storage tank somewhere allowing these levels of bacteria to build up. The problem with e-coli is it can even grow in plain air, its pretty amazing stuff; but can also grow in zero oxygen medium.

Thingy '=^..^=' post shows what a resilient little fellow we are dealing with..

The ability to grow both aerobically and anaerobically classifies the E. coli bacteria as a facultative anaerobe.

=^..^=.. dude, what are you on yessir. You're just scare mongering on your mustard gas issue..

I'm more concerned about the high levels of sodium and chloride found in the water in Douglas bay. Just 100ml of water has 10 times the daily safe level of NaCl.

You need to explain yourself. Safe level of salt for who..???

The basic make up of sea water is as follows:

54% Cl - 31% Na - 6% S - 4% Mg - 1% Ca - 1% K.. and the rest is a multitude of trace elements.

This is for perfectly clean sea water and is not what you'd find in Douglas bay. It does demonstrate however just how high the levels of Sodium and Chloride... AKA salt..... are in the water that surrounds us... =^..^= have you been drinking sea water again.. :lol:

Glad to be back's point is what concerns me the most, our children and pets.. Its not funny. :angry:

Maybe somebody did a turd in the storage tank.. :D

Someone is working late.. <_<

The Chief Executive of Isle of Man Creameries, Findlay Macleod, says there is no question of contamination to any food products, after E-Coli bacteria were discovered at the whey outfall into Douglas Bay.

At a regular media briefing this afternoon Leader of Douglas Town Council, Lynda Ramsay, said the discharges into the bay were being taken very seriously, and public warning notices may be set up.

Mr Macleod insists the whey leaving the Creamery, at Tromode, is free from contamination and the problem is arising within the mile and a half of pipeline, between his premises and the outfall.

The pipeline is owned by the Department of Transport.

Mr Macleod is giving this assurance to his customers:

(Picture: The Creamery at Tromode during a public open day, from www.iomguide.com).

No no no, not us fella, its them.. :lol::lol:

We're playing pass the blame game again... :lol:

Latest info from here

Isle of Man Creameries says test results which showed a high level of E-Coli bacteria at the whey outfall into Douglas Bay were seriously flawed.

It says the Department of the Environment has acknowledged it used the wrong method when it found contamination at 100 times the European Community's recommended limit for bathing water.

A statement prepared for Manx Radio says the procedure carried out was one used for testing water samples and not whey.

On Friday night the Chief Executive of Isle of Man Creameries, Findlay Macleod, insisted whey left the Creamery at Tromode free from contamination.

He said the problem which led to the contamination arose in the mile and a half of pipeline, owned by the Department of Transport, between the Creamery and the outfall.

Today's statement says an independent laboratory confirmed the initial test wasn't appropriate for food products, and samples taken at the Creamery using the proper method were total clear of contamination.

Very small traces were found in a sump-pit which surrounds a whey silo, about fifty feet downstream from the Creamery.

The media release goes on to question whether the test result quoted by Douglas Corporation, the one which was 100 times over the recommended limit, used the faulty method.

If it did, says the Creamery, the Corporation knew the result was incorrect before Friday's media briefing where the story broke.

The Creamery is also suggesting that other contaminated substances may have been discharged into Douglas Bay in the past few weeks, including foul sewage which should have been treated by the IRIS system.

The media release goes on to say Douglas Corporation has made no contact with the Creamery on the issue, despite a suggestion to the contrary by a senior figure on Manx Radio yesterday evening.

It also says that if Environmental Health officials had thought the whey contamination was an issue they would have raised the matter immediately.

Mr Macleod is assuring customers of Isle of Man Creameries there is question of any food products being contaminated.

So there is a storage tank.

Very small traces were found in a sump-pit which surrounds a whey silo, about fifty feet downstream from the Creamery.

And it is at high risk of being contaminated from the surrounding environment.. But who do we believe, our transparent and caring government; or a business who's future may depend on making us believe there is nothing wrong with their facilities..????????????????????

Of course we must also look at other possibilities for a source of contamination; it is pretty common for pollution to come from sewage. Is IRIS fully working yet?? Or are they still pumping raw sewage that IRIS can't deal with, straight into the sea; just like the good old days..

The Creamery is also suggesting that other contaminated substances may have been discharged into Douglas Bay in the past few weeks, including foul sewage which should have been treated by the IRIS system.

As a little boy, I used to play at port Jack, and in the summer we would swim in the sea... I remember seeing excrement floating in the water, and it was so common to see this material that it didn’t bother us..??

But I never suffered from any illness, you'd think regular swimming at a raw sewage outlet would be really hazardous..

I must say though, we were told never to swallow any of the water.. :lol::lol:

Isn't it so funny that the minute everyone hears the word E.coli, they all panic.

I've got new for everyone. It's already on your skin, and in your intestines, and all around you normally anyway. It's only certain strands of E. coli that makes you ill - 0157:H7.

Isn't it so funny that the minute everyone hears the word E.coli, they all panic.

I've got new for everyone. It's already on your skin, and in your intestines, and all around you normally anyway. It's only certain strands of E. coli that makes you ill - 0157:H7.

So i take it that the water isn't dangerous, So why can't people swim in it!

Archived