Crown Commissioner

Beckett

Lt. Governor  

76 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Manx Radio have reported "there have been calls" to change the title of the Governor. There is even a Tynwald Committee working hard on this one.

The person/s who made this call don't seem to be identified. But they must be pretty influential to have a commmittee set up to look into it.

I certainly have never heard anyone complain at the title of Governor.

There have been other seemingly anonymous callers of late who have these Tynwald folk at their beck and call.

Maybe this is how democracy works.

In answer to "there have been calls" I suspect that there have been no "calls" from the voters, but this has been generated by a few MHK's looking to secure their seats at the next election and hoping this item will be a vote catcher! I think they will find that they've shot themselves in the foot.

Just a question - if the forum member (not) Mec Vannin is so pro-Manx and the Island - why is he using a cross of St George as his "picture". Is he being ironic or sarcastic or I am just missing the point? :rolleyes:

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply
In answer to "there have been calls" I suspect that there have been no "calls" from the voters, but this has been generated by a few MHK's looking to secure their seats at the next election and hoping this item will be a vote catcher! I think they will find that they've shot themselves in the foot.

We will note those who voted 'for' and those who voted 'against'.

It is an ancient and indeed in some places an accepted form of Democracy whereby the eleted politician has carte blanc to do as he/she feels best without any consultation with those that put them in power. This works up to a point.

That point being the next election.

I remember quite recently a politician who adopted this style of politics in a bye-election. He soon got his arse kicked at the next general election though.

I accept that it is impossible to consult everyone on every issue. But this one has sinister undertones. I believe the belittling of the Queen's representative will give a boost to the already robust egos that are currently bouncing about in Tynwald.

I wonder what our erstwhile Governor might think about the scheming that has been going on behind his back. And for the new chap - 2 days into the job and a bunch of shopkeepers and farmers want to give you a new job title . . .

We will note those who voted 'for' and those who voted 'against'.

It is an ancient and indeed in some places an accepted form of Democracy whereby the eleted politician has carte blanc to do as he/she feels best without any consultation with those that put them in power. This works up to a point.

That point being the next election.

I remember quite recently a politician who adopted this style of politics in a bye-election. He soon got his arse kicked at the next general election though.

I accept that it is impossible to consult everyone on every issue. But this one has sinister undertones. I believe the belittling of the Queen's representative will give a boost to the already robust egos that are currently bouncing about in Tynwald.

I wonder what our erstwhile Governor might think about the scheming that has been going on behind his back. And for the new chap - 2 days into the job and a bunch of shopkeepers and farmers want to give you a new job title . . .

Having listened to Tynwald this week I can honestly say that I have never heard so many ill-informed bigots making a hash of running our island. It appears that most are almost completely out of touch with the feelings of their electorate and have a contemptuous attitude toward common sense.

If Her Majesty does in fact read the bullxxxxx about changing the name of her representative to Crown Commissioner, I dare say she will see it as an insult. I would so much love to see her refuse the request of Tynwald and put the buggers in their place.

There was nothing wrong with the previous title. Will the next move be to replace the title ‘Chief Minister’ with one of ‘Prime Minister’, so they can feel even more above their station?

It appears that most are almost completely out of touch with the feelings of their electorate and have a contemptuous attitude toward common sense.

Indeed, it is the peak time for this sort of attitude from our 'leaders'. They are now indestructible after their recent holidays. A whole four (extra) years into office and the world is their oyster.

Except, er, er, there is a general Election in just over twelve months.

Oooops.

ps

no need to worry for the MLCs though. Pammy & Co.

The New Governor left Tynwald at Lunchtime with a bag over his head, he was last spotted going into the Rovers Return muttering what have I let my self into :lol:post-137-1129641349_thumb.jpg

Poor chap has'nt been seen since..

:P:P:P

You joining the Manx Army then? Because independence means we lose the defence services of the UK.

As has been previsouly posted - who do we actually need defending from?????

I voted We don't need a Queen's Representative, - basically because I'm not really a royalist, and also think the IOM could probably do better as a totally independant state.

But on the other hand, it does seem to be a bit of a "historical position, part of our recent heritage etc" and out of the present shower of rabble we seem to have as government, there's nobody there fit to do these "duties" - so maybe we should keep the guy as the Queen's rep, but claim back all of our portion of tax that is paid to the UK for our "defense" and use some of this towards his pay????

Maybe I could do the job - I'd be quite happy to host garden parties and drink plenty of G&T & hang round with the people who think they're actually important & let "Queenie" know how things are getting on in this "distant province" - I would even do this for half the annual pay of the present fella!!!!

Does this mean that the Dandaraville near Signpost will now be re-named 'Crown Commissioner's Hill' and that the TT course will take in 'Crown Commissioner's Bridge?' Even more important, does it mean that the queen's representative will now be living in a commissioner's house?

Does this mean that the Dandaraville near Signpost will now be re-named 'Crown Commissioner's Hill' and that the TT course will take in 'Crown Commissioner's Bridge?' Even more important, does it mean that the queen's representative will now be living in a commissioner's house?

Classic!!!!!

:lol:

Absolutely Bloody Brilliant! :lol:

• 2 weeks later...

Victor Kneale, former speaker of the House of Keys says Tynwald has misjudged the views of the public when it comes to changing the title of the Lieutenant Governor.

Manx Radio News

He's calling on anyone who feels strongly about it to write to the Queen.

Her Majesty The Queen

Buckingham Palace

London SW1A 1AA

or

email the Queen

The Royal Family 'Contact Us' page is here

To Contact One

It is DISGRACE TO THE MANNIN.

We dont need no english crown,we dont need english dirty whore as our queen.

What we need is a sovereign state, based on a republican form of government.

I'm not sure if I like your arguing style but I agree with your point.

Governor has a negative ring to it which brings back memories of colonies held by Britain against their will. The new title is better but why the hell do we need a governor?

A Manx sovereign state is the only way forward and the only way the nation has a future.

The UK provides for our defence and foreign affairs. However, the island now chooses to pursure foreign affairs (this week it signed a bilateral agreement with the Netherlands) and defence isn't really a priority for the island. Micro-nations like San Marino and Monaco require little defence and can pay their bigger neighbours to provide this if necessary.

Victor Kneale, former speaker of the House of Keys says Tynwald has misjudged the views of the public when it comes to changing the title of the Lieutenant Governor.

Manx Radio News

He's calling on anyone who feels strongly about it to write to the Queen.

Her Majesty The Queen

Buckingham Palace

London SW1A 1AA

or

email the Queen

The Royal Family 'Contact Us' page is here

To Contact One

You could also write/phone the Lord Chancellor at Crown Office, House of Lords, London SW1A 0PW (telephone 0207 219 4304) and/or the Department for Constitutional Affairs, Devolution and Crown Dependencies Division, 6th Floor, Selborne House, 54 Victoria Street, London. SW1E 6QW (0207 210 8521) - hope this helps

:)

Archived