Fleetwood To Douglas By Stena?

Man in the mask

I overheard a conversation that Stena had plans to invest in improving Fleetwood facilities and introduce a regular sailing from Fleetwood to Douglas. I suppose I should know better than place any credence in such pub-talk rumours, but, if the rail and link span facilities were reintroduced / improved it could produce an attractive sailing time package, with road links at least as good as Heysham or Liverpool. This thread is only a prod at stimulating debate, and not a serious hint that the above may ever happen!

I overheard a conversation that Stena had plans to invest in improving Fleetwood facilities and introduce a regular sailing from Fleetwood to Douglas. I suppose I should know better than place any credence in such pub-talk rumours, but, if the rail and link span facilities were reintroduced / improved it could produce an attractive sailing time package, with road links at least as good as Heysham or Liverpool. This thread is only a prod at stimulating debate, and not a serious hint that the above may ever happen!

Difficult with the current agreement with Govt that only SP can land at Douglas. They'd have to fix up Ramsey pier and land there!

Just buy a side loading ship like the Lady of Man (which has now been sold) & don't worry about having to use the linkspan. Undercut the SP with passenger fare & car fares. Sale at sensible times, with quicker crossings. Take all their business. Oh if only it would happen..........

That would p*ss off the SP with their monoploy on the linkspans. Only trouble is side loaders are no good for cargo.

Mezeron should take the SP on head to head, like Manxline did years ago. I think people are so miffed by the SP that they would support any competition that came in to challenge them.

Last time I sailed with them it cost the best part of £6 for a breakfast. The bacon & egg were rock hard coz they had been sitting there under the heat lamps and on top of that a cuppa was extra! Rip off!!!! I will bring sandwiches & a flask next time

Mezeron should take the SP on head to head, like Manxline did years ago. I think people are so miffed by the SP that they would support any competition that came in to challenge them.

Last time I sailed with them it cost the best part of £6 for a breakfast. The bacon & egg were rock hard coz they had been sitting there under the heat lamps and on top of that a cuppa was extra! Rip off!!!! I will bring sandwiches & a flask next time

And the reason that you refer to Manxline in the past tense is that it is not able to sustain a viable economic business. See also airlines, clothes shops, coffee shops, pubs that ban smoking etc etc....the Island has monopolistic forces that underpin the service industry here.

I'm not "so miffed" by the Steam Packet. I find it generally good these days. And £6 doesn't seem so excessive for a breakfast.

I wouldn't want them to cut costs too much.

Archived