Fleetwood To Douglas By Stena?

Man in the mask

I find it quite unlikely that Stena would make a move. They have to replace the 3 ships that go to Fleetwood first, and replace their Scotland ship aswell. Plus they would have to break into the user agreement somehow.

However on a side note, Irish Sea Express, the company that you will have noticed have the old SCIOM and hold up the stage in Liverpool a bit have gone bust today, so she might be back to cover in January, heck, maybe they will have a bit of inituative and run 2 ships from Douglas! (No, i doubt it ;)

Mezeron should take the SP on head to head, like Manxline did years ago. I think people are so miffed by the SP that they would support any competition that came in to challenge them.

Last time I sailed with them it cost the best part of £6 for a breakfast. The bacon & egg were rock hard coz they had been sitting there under the heat lamps and on top of that a cuppa was extra! Rip off!!!! I will bring sandwiches & a flask next time

I'm not "so miffed" by the Steam Packet. I find it generally good these days. And £6 doesn't seem so excessive for a breakfast.

I wouldn't want them to cut costs too much.

It's been a while since I used the boats last, as I usually fly these days, but when I worked there, the net cost for a breakfast was - wait for it - 99p (based on information from people that worked in the relevant position at the time). They could reduce the price a bit, I guess... Seeing families fork out a little fortune for a microwave meal always made me feel a little uneasy...

Do you know that the likes of M&S and Tesco spend millions a year for their trailers to be ferried over? Shurley, normal passengers are only additional income...

I don't normally bother with the food on Steam Packet vessels. If we do need nourishment, we normally pack some sandwiches etc. Last time I was on the SS, however, I tried the 'All-Day Breakfast' for the first, and definitely last, time. I discovered that the 'All-Day' description refers to the time it takes to chew your through the bacon and that the prices reveal that piracy has obviously played some part in the Packet's long history.

It is also, without doubt, a fair weather vessel (one Steam Packet Captain told me that it was like trying to steer a Coca-cola can even in a slightly choppy sea) and simply shouldn't be used on Irish Sea crossings at this time of year. Quite simply, the company should have made proper provision for a replacement vessel before disposing of the Lady of Man. After all, they've known for many years that it would have to be replaced.

Archived