Praise For Crew Of Manx-registered Tanker

Bill Posters

From IOM Online

PRAISE FOR CREW OF MANX-REGISTERED TANKER

I thought this must be some good 'local' news. Whllst it is inspiring, the alarm bells should have started with the word 'registered'.

Story here

It states towards the end

It is understood no members of the crew of the British Pride, a double hull oil tanker capable of carrying more than 340,000 tonnes of crude oil, are Manx.

So I was surprised at the following paragraph

Trade and Industry Minister Alex Downie said: 'This is first-class reflection on the quality of the Manx fleet.

'It takes immense skill to manoeuvre these huge ships at the best of times.

:wacko:

From IOM Online

PRAISE FOR CREW OF MANX-REGISTERED TANKER

It states towards the end

It is understood no members of the crew of the British Pride, a double hull oil tanker capable of carrying more than 340,000 tonnes of crude oil, are Manx.

So I was surprised at the following paragraph

Trade and Industry Minister Alex Downie said: 'This is first-class reflection on the quality of the Manx fleet.

'It takes immense skill to manoeuvre these huge ships at the best of times.

I for one am not in the least bit surprised in Downie's grasp of the "facts".

Hmm, but then in his statement Mr Downie would have been apportioning skill to the ships themselves, which makes even less sense?

I think it is very commendable that these ships have got off their arses and learned how to navigate and negotiate tricky areas themselves.

For too long they have let themselves be guided and directed by people with beards, polo necks and with rings on their sleeves.

It shows some enterprise on their part.

It sets a good example to us all to brush up our skills and gain some NVQ's or whatever.

Archived