3fm One Year On-air

manxmedia

Happy Birthday 3FM  

61 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I've actually switched back from 3FM to Energy in the shop. I note that a few other shops in the town have done the same thing.

Energy have changed their playlist quite considerably and it just suits me better at work now than the content 3FM put out.

Shame really, they were the best of the 3 local stations for quite some time but at present, it just sends me to sleep.

I think they need younger presenters on during the daytime, and maybe more of them. The shows went on for too long imo.

To be honest - I actually listen to 3FM, they do 'seem' to play more music than the others, followed by Energy and finally Manx Radio. I usually wack the alarm on Sleep mode at night to send me off to sleep, and 3FM do appear to play a good variety. I'm not really an avvid radio listener, but yeh, its good.

I voted 'bad'.

but I would like to add it's' better than some

At least they don't make a racket during the news like Manx radio.

Mind you though, it can't be all bad because they 'took' £250,000 off Manx Radio since starting up, as they were blamed for MR's loss this past yer.

used to like it on in the mornings, but since that george guy took over the breakfast show i've gone back to energy (he is just really really really annoying to me)

still the best one for tunes in the afternoon though :)

Voted - Bad. because there wasn't an option which reflected the true depths of my hatred for 3fm.

Its existence has significantly contributed to my levels of workplace stress.

I am ashamed to be part of the same species as the people who put this abomination together. You wonder is the person who selects the music a Sadist. What other reason could there be for wanting to play Starship's "Nothings Gonna Stop Us Now" EVERY BLOODY DAY!!!! Sometimes twice, and occasionally following up with "We Built this City on Rock and Roll". Have they never heard any other music ever?

I listened to the 'grand opening', - it went something like 'this isn't a test transmission' and a load of chattering in the background. Not impressed.

I listened for about half an hour once since then and couldn't stand it any more, just like a boring cd selection.

Isn't it all automated stuff now anyway ?, someone said recently they saw the 'presenter' who was supposedly on air at the time out shopping in town !.

I doubt if they will be getting a studio webcam :ph34r:

I think it's boring as hell, mostly recorded, and really has no personality.

It's a shame that this station was allowed to happen as really they haven't provided the island with what they said they would. They have tried to wee on Energy chips and it's backfired as Energy's musical output together with the personality of their presenters is great across the board these days.

No way in a million years can they compare their output to radio 2's which is what they said they were and certain people high up in government departments still try and hold onto this myth to justify granting them a license.

All they have done is prevent 2 good radio stations operate in a stable market place, as a result everyone is suffering... even themselves. I worked in radio across before i came to the island but never took it up here. I have seen this across in the UK and it is down to the authorities pompusness and lack of knowledge in the marketplace.

Very boring. I listened to it when working through the night at first, but then MR came up with Ashley Bentley. Since she's gone, I have tried 3fm again, but it's even more boring than before, so it's either CDs or Radio 2 through the night, now. Also, although the news content was always minimal, it's managed to decline since the departure of Ariane Barua. Basically, there's nothing on the station that would make me want to tune into it.

I'm not that inspired by 3FM either, it’s too measured and formulaic, doesn’t seem to matter who the presenter is, it’s the same homogenised playlist… I guess (as my bro once said) it’s that analogy that 3FM is akin to a fast-food chain franchise. “Do this, cook that and you’ll make money”, but you’ll never push the boundaries of cuisine, or particularly look after the nutritional wellbeing of your customers.

Energy seems to have reacted to 3FM gathering ground as the station of choice in shops and workplaces (since its programming is Middle-of-Road) and Energy have blatantly slid their mix of music as far out of the jarring “Yoof “part of their remit as the communications commission will let them in order to compete. As Mission has indicated, I think Energy are succeeding in regaining that ground, but I think it’s only because, faced with ever-more-comparable choices of music, the presenting is more distinctive on Energy. (I said distinctive, not necessarily better – I used to laugh my socks off to Paul Moulton reading the news on Energy Drive.)

So what we’re left with now between Energy and 3FM is, “Who can please Mr Average the most?”, a Battle of the Blands…

So what we’re left with now between Energy and 3FM is, “Who can please Mr Average the most?”, a Battle of the Blands…

Spot on. But that's the nature of lots of business on the island isn't it? We're not small enough to support Niche's, so to survive you have to be careful not to limit your market in any way.

Archived