Steam Packet

Spatula girl

Confused....... is it the company, the ship or both that have been/are being sold?

Both - first, the SP sold the Lady, then the whole SP was sold..

Are we discussing a person or an inanimate boatlike object

Dont get me wrong I quite liked sailing on the thing - but ITS ONLY A BOAT

And Football is only a sport...

The Lady was more than a boat - she was the only proper boat they had, always saving their backsides when any of the other wannabe vessels couldn't go out. She's a piece of Island history and would have deserved a big farewell..

Ah..memories of life onboard: Sitting in the noisy mess room, walking along her beautiful timber decks, being rocked to sleep by a force ten like a baby in a cradle ^_^ (and waking up on the deck a few minutes later :wacko: )...

I'll miss her...

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

When she goes they will cut off most of her stern to build it into roro mode, there won't be much left.....

Not sure how the SSC2's charter agreement is affected, although I sincerely hope something new appears...

Confused....... is it the company, the ship or both that have been/are being sold?

Both - first, the SP sold the Lady, then the whole SP was sold..

Are we discussing a person or an inanimate boatlike object

Dont get me wrong I quite liked sailing on the thing - but ITS ONLY A BOAT

And Football is only a sport...

The Lady was more than a boat - she was the only proper boat they had, always saving their backsides when any of the other wannabe vessels couldn't go out. She's a piece of Island history and would have deserved a big farewell..

Ah..memories of life onboard: Sitting in the noisy mess room, walking along her beautiful timber decks, being rocked to sleep by a force ten like a baby in a cradle ^_^ (and waking up on the deck a few minutes later :wacko: )...

I'll miss her...

mmmm football IS only a sport.

Dont get me wrong I enjoyed using it to get from A to B - easier than swimming anyway.

I have not yet managed to achieve any emotional attachment to it.

I don't think the Lady of Man was more than a boat, was it? It always seemed like a boat to me.

Maybe it never rescued me and skimmed me gently across the water like a guardian angel so I never managed to fall insanely in love with it

3FM's reporting the Steam Packet is being sold today. Nothing on Manx so far (as usual!) ...interesting to see if this is true

Manx Radio has been reporting this rumour for some time. The official announcement was only made this afternoon, prior to which it was speculation rather than hard fact.

Yeah, right. Just like when Manx Radio reported e-coli was coming from the Creamery

3FM's reporting the Steam Packet is being sold today. Nothing on Manx so far (as usual!) ...interesting to see if this is true

Manx Radio has been reporting this rumour for some time. The official announcement was only made this afternoon, prior to which it was speculation rather than hard fact.

Yeah, right. Just like when Manx Radio reported e-coli was coming from the Creamery

:D

Spatula girl (what a strange choice of name!), whilst I was probably having my afternoon nap when the story broke, I think you'll find that was possibly an allegation that someone else made in an interview. Again, we don't make the stories up (although wouldn't THAT be fun), we just report the facts presented and attempt to give both sides of the story.

Just as a matter of interest, Stu - has there ever been a hoax news item that's completely taken in the team at Manx Radio. If not, it could be a potential project for some of the forum members. :ph34r:

and has there ever been a hoax item that has taken in members of the manx forum :o

Just as a matter of interest, Stu - has there ever been a hoax news item that's completely taken in the team at Manx Radio. If not, it could be a potential project for some of the forum members. :ph34r:

and has there ever been a hoax item that has taken in members of the manx forum :o

Yep! Many! Especially a superb one by Rog a few months ago based on Punch & Judy!

The 06:15 business report on Today (BBC Radio 4) had a short reference to the sale of the Isle of Man Steam Packet Co.

You can find the item here (Real Player link) - 3 mins 43 secs into the clip.

Macquarie (the new owners) are described as being a group which is actively currently buying assets which they can borrow against. Also rumoured to be interested in buying PD Ports PLC.

Yep! Many! Especially a superb one by Rog a few months ago based on Punch & Judy!

Ah, yes I remember that.

Just waiting for 1st April :lol:

Dunno - not in the two years or so that I've been in the newsroom.

Like the idea for April 1st...but it's (luckily) on a Saturday next year, so Mandate's safe. I think I did a spoof story this year, but can't remember what. Wasn't particularly inspired - I have a feeling it was a Roadwatch bit.

Spatula girl (what a strange choice of name!), whilst I was probably having my afternoon nap when the story broke, I think you'll find that was possibly an allegation that someone else made in an interview. Again, we don't make the stories up (although wouldn't THAT be fun), we just report the facts presented and attempt to give both sides of the story.

Damned if you do and damned if you don't eh Stu?

We heard this on 3FM in the morning ...switched to Mandate ....nothing! Even though it was in the Daily Telegraph. Same again this morning ...listened to 3FM ...dead body found ...switched to Mandate ...again nothing! I give up....

Edit* Fixed Quotes

Archived